Sponsored by:

Autospies Article on Depreciation of 996s

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 01:02 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

All you have to do is look at the market for the rest of the 911's. 80's 911's are still trading well into the 20's and most are loaded with miles. The 964's hit rock bottom last year, this year the mid teen deals on high mile 89's seem to be a thing of the past. 928's seem to actually appreciate as of last year and try to find a GTS for less than 30 grand, 968's are been sold in the mid 20's , even old early 70's 911's are selling for more than 10 grand and these are not even mint cars!!.
It is for sure supply and demand. 993's compared to the latest 911 versions were produced in fewer numbers and they are the last of the aircooled, old style 911. Given how many 993's have ended up trashed, wrecked, parts cars etc they become less available day by day. Especially mint, full history cars are not an everyday find. I sincerely don't see the market squeeze even further down. There are always buyers who crave the oportunity to get into a 993 and they will keep the prices relatively high. If nothing else some 993's this year have fetched more money than last year. I see the 996 as well leveling off, but given the fact that not many of the "hard core" aircooled guys dream of a 996 it will be more difficult for these cars to hold their value. if nothing else that fact alone hurts the usual trend of the newer model being more expensive than the old, as these guys will be looking for a mint 993 not a 996 which will have a negative effect on the pricing on the 996 compared to the 993.
This I think is the hard reality and i personally have nothing against the 996 model. However as a buyer i'm not interested in a 996 and most likely in the future I will be looking at older 911's not newer ones with the exeption of a GT3
Just my .02
Old 05-01-2004, 04:28 AM
SLVR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJF, and others, points well taken, yet,..... I am looking forward to picking up a nice 996TT cab for 10 grand some time next year...... :-)

Keeping my 993 of course, it's a classic (in my mind)!!!

EDIT: The article seems to be deliberately written to provoke people, maybe it's an attempt to get people to trade their 996 before the hammer falls....
Old 05-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, Danny.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:58 AM
willisit
Racer

How many even buy a 993 as an investment anyway? Unless it's a Turbo S or something really rare (RS perhaps?) then I don't see ANY modern car as such.

Hell, my 1981 DeLorean made me money but it wasn't a whole lot and due to classics becoming EASIER to own prices are dropping - and you cannot say the DeLorean isn't a classic (whether you like it or not).

I don't see prices going up on the 993 but I don't see them nosediving due to a new model. For all intents and purposes the 911 range ended with the 993 and for enthusiasts that's all that matters. (Yeah I'm generalising but you get the idea!)
Old 05-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The comments here have been great and everybody has intelligent logical point of views. Overall, I think we all pretty much agree that the 993 or the majority of the cars out there will not appreciate in value. Since the 993s have more or less leveled off in depreciation, we will not see a complete nosedive in value on our cars.

For me, I'd think I feel that I've made a good "investment" if let's say I sell the 993 in a couple of years for a 2-3k less than I purchased it, I think i've come up on top. Having the enjoyment of 993 ownership for a couple of years for a few grand is a winner in my book!

It's a gorgeous day in NYC today....hope everyone is having the same.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:35 AM
ingo777
Instructor

Gentlemen! Of course 993 is a classic! But I´m unsure if it will be subject to depreciation or appreciation.... I tend towards depreciation due to the huge amount that is available on the market. However I love mine, looking forward to the future though. Curious what the 997 will look like on the roads....
Should I return to Europe in the near future I would have to sell my 993. For practical, steering on the other side than Singapore, and for local economic reasons... I would not go for 996 again, though it was a good car... the looks... however, 997 could be an option for the daily driver.

Wishing you all a nice remaining weekend.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:01 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Willisit has it right. I want to enjoy them as much as possible today. Forget their collector value 20 years from now... Drive 'em like they're stolen... hehehe...
Old 05-03-2004, 11:56 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default no sorry needed

Originally posted by DGlenn
As a non-993 owner who is looking to grab one in the next couple of years, I can only hope they come down a little bit. Sorry guys.

Hi DGlenn,

No sorry needed. I for one did not buy this car with the hopes of appreciation. I can't imagine the years of experience it would take to actually understand which cars would appreciate in time. I bought it to drive (as often as possible). In addition, I am absolutely certain that I would never get my money out of the modifications I have added. My only regret is that I don't live somewhere where I could drive it all year round and not need a snow car.

Good luck finding one in the future. I hope you get a great deal on one.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Just read the article at the link, and am annoyed enough to reply...

"World Exclusive" my @ss. Looks like the author of the "article" (perhaps editorial would be a more appropriate term - even that is generous) is simply stating an unsupported opinion. Like we've never seen that before.

I suspect the 99 model years propensity for catastophic engine failures will do more harm for their long term value than the 997. How's that for a "world exclusive?"
Old 05-03-2004, 04:50 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

DGlenn,

If you're already looking on the 993 board and have 300+ posts-my bet is that you won't be able to hold out for two years. I know I wasn't able too! And I am very glad I didn't.

Al

Quick Reply: Autospies Article on Depreciation of 996s