993 Forum 1995-1998

ECU Chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 07:41 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dave '95 Cab:
<STRONG>Has anyone ever calculated the man-hours lost waiting for retarded traffic signals to change?
</STRONG>
Funny, that's high on my pet peeve list too. You've also got to include wasted fuel, smog production, wear and tear on engines, etc. How much smog goes into the L.A. air every day from cars sitting at these intersections, when a simple sensor in the road will sense there are no cars in the green direction?
Old 06-26-2001, 08:32 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dave '95 Cab:
<STRONG>After the initial expense of mapping the fuel, advance, plus whatever else is changed in the program (total cost $2K?), the cost to re-produce these chips is less than $5 each, and can be done by anyone with a PC and a prom reader/programmer. I don't know where these people get off charging $300 - $500 apiece for them.</STRONG>
A company invests $10,000,000 in a new assembly line at the factory. Engineers set the thing up, it's a big success, product is flying out the door, company's making more money than ever before.

Four years later it breaks down, line's at a dead stop. Chief engineer have since retired, started consulting firm. They call him, beg him to come back & fix the problem. He shows up at the factory, entire crew, mangers gather around. He stands back & stares at the line, studies some components, checks some gauges. Asks for an 8 oz hammer. Somebody hands it to him.

He reaches out, 'tink!' on one spot on a pipe. Assembly line springs into action! Product spewing out onto the loading dock! Everybody's thrilled.

Two weeks later management gets an invoice from the consulting company... $50,000. Management is shocked , requests an itemized invoice.

Invoice comes back:

tapping with hammer...... $1.00
knowing where to tap..... $49,999.00

Old 06-26-2001, 11:13 PM
D.G..
Instructor

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tom_993:
How much smog goes into the L.A. air every day from cars sitting at these intersections, when a simple sensor in the road will sense there are no cars in the green direction?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The road sensors are 1960s technology. This is the 21st Century. We have the technology to track incoming missle warheads traveling at supersonic speeds and shoot them down (maybe), but we can't detect a car or motorcycle coming from a block away and switch a traffic signal???? The amount of time and fuel saved, not to mention the improved traffic carrying capacity of our roads would more than pay for this technology. What am I missing???

(sorry for the rant)
Dave
Old 06-26-2001, 11:29 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Talking

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<STRONG>The RS Flywheel setup is real neat . . .

The reciprocating weight decrease is significant . . .
</STRONG>
Ouch!

I hurt myself laughing.
Old 07-01-2001, 12:54 PM
SSilver
AutoX

I have a 95 993 C4 that is highly modified for the track and AutoX and installed The Program about a year and a half ago. I have had this car chassis dyno'd on two different dynos with amazing results.....approximately 28 hp tot he rear wheels gained, with significant torque increase in the midrange. I use a mix of 92 pump gas and 100 unleaded for track events, and 92 pump gas for AutoX and street driving. I have found this unit to be incredibly smmoth and without problems.
Does anyone else have any experiences with The Program?
Old 07-01-2001, 11:29 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Is the 28hp increase achieved using (CA) pump gas or race fuel? That kind of gain is excellent. I have an Autothority chip in my '95 and I believe they have seen approximately 15hp gain on their dynos.

Quick Reply: ECU Chips