Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

difficult to start my car since Sunday???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 09:56 PM
Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post difficult to start my car since Sunday???

Coming home after a long weekend and the first thing on my mind was to start my tt and give it a spin. But when I turned the key, nothing happened as if the battery was totally flat. After 3-5 seconds, I tried it again. Nothing. I sat in the car and talked to myself if I forgot to turn off something before I parked my car last Friday. Then after another 30 seconds or so, I tried it again, this time, although reluctantly, the tt was started.
I then drove it for 30 minutes. Stopped the car. Locked the door. Went for a quick lunch. Came back and tried to start the car. The same thing happened. 1st try as if the battery was flat, no cranking at all. On 2nd try, the car was started.
Any idea what went wrong? I did notice something strange, the stock radio was turned on when the car was started. I always turn off everything before stopping the car.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:49 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jimmy,
did you check the connections at the battery? is it the original? have had many bad experiences with original or porsche batteries.

hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2001, 06:07 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 226 Posts
My guess is that the battery is drained and you need a new one. Why did it happen? Could be as simple as you didn't close the engine compartment door or luggage hood or even didn't close the drivers door properly and the light stayed on. I even recall that if the turn signal is on while you shut off the engine, the turn light will stay on....

So you see, many reasons for this to occur. Now if it's not the battery, then I am at a loss.....
Old 06-27-2001, 08:13 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Tend to agree with the others; probably a bad battery or loose cable connection. HOWEVER:

When you turn the key to "ON", I assume the dash lights come on as normal. Then when you turn to "start", they dim or go out. This is the symptom of the above. Check the battery cable posts for tightness. Then do a voltage check on the battery; if it's charged, should read about 12.5 volts - lower than this, it's dead or isn't being charged. With car running, battery voltage should be about 13-14 volts or so - this is the indication the charging system is working (and I HAVE experienced alternator failures with no dash warning light coming on).

NOW, if you turn key to "start" and dash lights aren't affected, could have a bad starter. This would be more likely if problem is occurring on a hot start (vs. a cold start from an overnight parking). Did have a bad one on old '84 Carrera.

Quick Reply: difficult to start my car since Sunday???