993 Forum 1995-1998

LA area Porsche dismantlers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 07:34 PM
JMA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post LA area Porsche dismantlers

I was driving N. on PCH today going through Huntington Beach when I see a smokey in my rear-view...no problem since I wasn't speeding...so I thought!!!

The cop pulls me over for having the Euro tail lenses on my car and gives me a fix-it ticket (he also got me for tinted front windows...aaargh!!! Fortunately, he missed the front license plate!) In any event, I was wondering if any LA/OC Rennlisters could recommend a dismatler in the area who may have a set of standard issue tail lenses for a 993 C2.

My mechanic says this new HB cop has been getting a lot of people for "illegal modifications" so be careful if you travel in or through HB.

Any help on finding replacements lenses is greatly appreciated...the dealer wants $120 each...ouch!

Thanks all,

JMA

Member #000306-1778
Old 06-25-2001, 08:10 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JMA:
<STRONG>

The cop pulls me over for having the Euro tail lenses on my car and gives me a fix-it ticket </STRONG>
I thought the euro tail lenses consist of orange and red lenses? What's wrong with this setup? I would think if it's clear lenses with clear bulbs would get you in trouble but not the orange. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the info, I'll stay clear from HB since I have front clear corners with hyper-white.

Ron
Old 06-25-2001, 08:36 PM
JMA
Rennlist Member

The cop said it was illegal to have amber in the front and the rear...maybe I should have gone "whole hog" and done the clear front lenses, but with the bumperettes et al, I didn't want to hassle it. I doubt it would have done me any good...he just didn't like the punk in the 911! In remembering a recent thread on tickets in a P-car, I think this qualifies as a "hassle the punk in the Porsche for any little violation just to put another notch on the Kawasaki cruiser". I hope the people who read this spend their money somewhere other than HB near-term so they won't get hassled by bored cops. That'll get 'em in the wallet where it counts.

I'm still looking for a lead on a set of used lenses if anyone knows anything.

JMA
Old 06-25-2001, 09:31 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JMA:
<STRONG>The cop said it was illegal to have amber in the front and the rear...</STRONG>
Uh, I believe most cars have amber in the front and rear. That sucks!

Sorry to hear about it.

Ron
Old 06-26-2001, 12:31 AM
SeanD
Instructor

Thumbs down

JMA,

I'm originally from Huntington Beach, CA and have grown up there. It's not just that one cop. It's all of them. They have been hassling people since I can remember. They have ticketed every single member of my family at least once (including aunts and uncles) and most of my friends that live there as well. This is not an false statement. People who speed and get caught deserve tickets. People who drive drunk/recklessly etc. do as well. I have a real problem with them pulling over people "at will" for minor or non-existent infractions though. Can you believe they use to give us tickets as kids for not signaling... on our BICYCLES? One cycle cop followed me on my way to 8th grade for about 1 mile and gave me a ticket for:

1. Not signaling when turning in the street.

2. Riding on the sidewalk (which is illegal unless there is a sign)

3. Not having a registration decal(little sticker you have to register your bicycles in HB)

4. Not having the proper reflectors on my bike (missing the white one in the front and the yellow ones in the spokes)

5. Finally, since my cruiser was painted primer gray, he took the bike from me to the impound because it "might" be stolen and he had to check since there was no registration decal. I told him i was repainting it but still needed to ride it. He actaully called two back-up cars to come take my bike. I walked home 8 miles that afternoon.

I had to attend a Bicycle Saftey Class for one whole Saturday and my Dad paid $50 to get MY OWN bike back. It was not stolen.

So do I even need to BOTHER to tell you the stuff the pull motorists over for?

There is not alot of real crime there so they hassle the people they are supposed to protect. It's the same way here in Melbourne Beach. Not nearly as bad though. At least the cops here are human.

One HB PIG made a teenage girlfriend of mine driving by herself get out and take an "illigally placed" sticker off her car while telling her that she was not such a pillar of the community. (read between the lines, he made her get on her knees in a dress, peel off the sticker and insulted her while she did it) She cried the whole time and was very shaken up when I saw her that night. Not a pleasant evening.

I had such a terrible run-in with an HB cop one night that I almost decked him. Damn the jail time.. he was that insulting to me. Long story. I went to court. Cop never showed up. $500 in legal fees plus a $75 court fee and I walked away.

HB cops are *****. Always have been. Good to see that some things never change.

Sorry this is so harsh and it's not ment to be offensive to those in law enforcement, but I have a really hard time with HB police officers. They have a very bad reputation. Ask anyone you know that lives or has lived there. It's erie almost. They will all say the same thing and have a bad story to tell.

One last comment before I get off my soapbox:

My 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee has amber lens in the front for the turn indicators and amber turn indicators in the back as well. This is the way it came from the factory 100% stock.

You may want to fight this one. Go to www.jeepsunlimited.com and take a look at any stock Jeep that is a ZJ model. So am I breaking the law with my STOCK Jeep? I'll pass that bill along to Daimler-then! I though you would only get a ticket for CLEAR lens? Fight it I say. Bring in photos of the 1000's of stock models on the road and the the HB cop to fight some real crime. Bad cop. No Donut!

Be careful there! If I made them sound really bad, they are worse.

Sean

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: SeanD ]

Old 06-26-2001, 01:16 AM
David Griswold
Track Day

Give Todd at LAPorsche a call at 618-por-sche, or check them out online at www.laporsche.com

David
Old 06-26-2001, 09:44 AM
SeanD
Instructor

This morning on my way to work I noticed about 5 different cars with amber lights in the front and the rear. A Porsche Boxster was one of them.

You may want to ask what specific ordenance (law code) that you have supposedly broken.

I don't see how having amber turn indicators in the back AND front has anything to do with breaking the law.

A brand new Chevy Tahoe also has 'em front and rear that I saw this AM.

Sean
Old 06-27-2001, 01:26 PM
JMA
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the "moral support" and suggestions on finding replacements. I have lived in HB my whole life and while I haven't had the same hassles as some of the others on this board (SeanD sure has a bone to pick), I am shocked that someone who pays the property taxes that I pay and is a law abiding citizen (well, for the most part ) would be hassled for such minor infractions.

The way I see it, I would have been better off with a moving violation because by the time I get the new lenses ($100-200) and get the window tinting back on ($80) it might have been cheaper!!!

I agree that I see amber front and rear everywhere, but he wrote me up for the right CVC codes as I looked them up on the CA-DMV site. By the time I take pictures and try to fight it, the opportunity costs and aggravation are just not worth it to me. I apologize for not doing more to help out humankind but my tail is between my legs and I just want to get it fixed and keep a low profile.

Oh by the way, the "officer" did get a second unit to swing by the "scene" as he was writing me up...I guess he was concerned that I might hit him with my tie or something. What a numnuts!!! (Thanks Ray)

JMA
Old 06-27-2001, 03:55 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Yeah, trouble always comes in pairs....

Good luck with it all. Sorry to go off like that. They are not looked upon in a very good light by my family, friends, or me.

Still weird about the amber lights though. Every time I'm driving now, I check for amber lights front and rear. Most EVERY car has this setup, so I'm still confused about the code he wrote the ticket under. Ah well.

Sean

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: SeanD ]

Quick Reply: LA area Porsche dismantlers