Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What are your most favorite shop tools?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 02:04 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Post What are your most favorite shop tools?

I admit I stole this topic from another board, but I found it really interesting. Besides the normal stuff everyone has like sockets, wrenches, etc., what are you favorite unique tools that you've accumulated for working on you porsche?

Mine:
snap on cordless impact wrench (9.6v)
snap on metric allen head sockets
hose pinch pliers (for pinching brake overflow line)
magnet pickup tool

compiled from other list:
creeper stool
ceiling mounted pullcord light
wall mounted paper towel dispenser
white board for notes
metal magnetized parts bowl
3/8 short flex ratchet (snap on)
tool box on wheels

From seeing pictures or some of your garages out there, you all must have some unique tools you favor.

David
Old 06-25-2001, 02:17 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One of my 2nd favorite tools is my "Mac Tools" tool box. I just love the roller bearing action.

Lifesaver tools are: A magnet tied to a flexible rod, flexible grabbing tool (for picking up nuts and bolts I dropped), swivel head ratchet, 2 feet 3/8 socket extention, and my Dremel motor tool (for cutting off mistakes I made)

By far one of my #1 favorite tools is my TIG welder. It is amazing what a TIG welder in a "uncertified" welder's hand can do. :P

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: Robin 993 DX In Atlanta ]
Old 06-25-2001, 03:43 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Cool

Mikita battery powered Impact Wrench is my favorite. It makes wheel removal/re-install an absolute snap and saves lots of time.
Old 06-25-2001, 08:48 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Schact, what voltage is your impact wrench? I don't exactly own one yet, but used one for a day working on a friends car. His was a 9.6v, and handled undoing lugnuts just fine; but his lugs are only torqued to 74 lbs. The 12v is more powerful, but 2x as expensive. I'm hoping what I ordered will be strong enough.
Robin, I just got a toolbox myself, and never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I have. It doesn't have roller bearings, but one day I'll trade up (going from 3 tiny boxes to one big box was quite a step up for me!).
The magnetic p/u tool came from snap on. What makes it neat is it has a collar on it, so the bottom face is the only part that will pick up. I had one before this, and a surgeon's hand was required to get the tip down to a nut in the bottom of the engine compartment w/o the magnet sticking to everything along the way.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:34 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For me its has to be the air compressor.
With this you can add many attachments to pump up tyres, blow dust & dirt off parts, paint-spray, and also add things like a drill, impact wrench, rivet gun, nail gun (not for car use !), etc...

I don't have all of the above attachments - yet !

Apart from that, my other favourites are a lead lamp, a mirror, magnetic pick-up tools, squeeze-to-open tweezers, oh and also the dremmel sized tools.

Give me a couple of months and hopefully a single post ramp will be favourite number one tool

(A lathe is great too for working on older cars when you may need to make something you can no longer get...)
Old 06-27-2001, 01:50 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

32 oz. ball peen hammer.

(love the intro at the front of "Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance". Supposedly, a sentence on the wall of an old Roman blacksmith shop translated as "If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.")

Besides that?
a) cordless screwdriver with 19mm 5-point socket to spin lug nuts on and off.
b) 2 1/4 ton floor jack
c) Motive Products "Power Bleeder" (check the archive)
d) ATE brake pad puller
e) built-up catch bottle w/ plastic lines leading to both caliper bled ports
e) pry bar to push pistons back into caliper when changing pads.

Well, that's a few!

Quick Reply: What are your most favorite shop tools?