993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Targa top reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 06:07 PM
cstreetdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 993 Targa top reliability

I am looking at getting a 96/97 993 Targa or coupe. I am leaning towards a targa but am a little worried about all the moving parts in the Targa top. Anyone care to comment on the reliability and possible things to look out for?
Old 06-19-2001, 08:56 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a 96 Targa, and there are definitely a lot of pluses and some minuses to the car. The reliability of the top overall is quite good.

Here is a quote from someone who owns a Targa and posted a very succinct post concerning the Targa about 1.5 years ago.

The 993 platform is great, as is the targa concept. Looking up into the sky yet having a coupe at the touch of two buttons combines the good features of a coupe & a cab into one. However, the targa roof can leave a bit to be desired; be sure you know what you are getting before you buy. For example: . The roof squeaks in places. Depending on the dealer and the presence or absence of a warranty, you can improve things, but it probably will never be silent, and probably won't improve with age. The roof might leak. Mine doesn't. Maybe you aren't planning on driving in the rain. . The roof might have mysterious wind noises. Mine doesn't. The roof has been described to me as "a mechanic's nightmare." Despite that, I just fixed a broken power shade track which had rendered the entire thing inoperative..fortunately while the glass was closed.

A couple additional notes & recommendations: . Improvements to the design & assembly were made over the 1996 and 1997 model years. If you have a choice between a 1997 and a 1996, go for the 1997. Failing that, if you have a choice between a car produced late in 1996 and one produced early in 1996 (or 1995), but the "newer" one. Squeak and leak remedies are described in great length (like, 10+ pages each) in Books M and N of the service bulletins. . The general design of the roof is described in the 1996 technical summary / description for the C2S/C4S and Targa. This is worth buying and reading. Try www.my-porsche.com for both the service bulletins and the technical summary.
I will add that my Targa had the squeak problems, but I have had them fixed. So far so good. I haven't had any wind noise problems or leaks. I really love the car, especially on those days where you can put the roof back and enjoy the weather. I also enjoy not having the hassle that comes with the 993 cab. in terms of the top maintenance, effort in securing the top cover, etc... The lines of the car are very nice as well, very similar to the coupe, in some ways even nicer, IMO.

Bottom line, get a 97 or 98 if you can, and really pay a lot of attention to the top when considering a purchase. Listen for wind noise, ask the owner to soak down the top of the car etc... There are many happy 993 Targa owners out there.

Quick Reply: 993 Targa top reliability