Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Armourfend, XPel, Stongard, etc... which one should I get?

Old 06-18-2001, 11:23 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Armourfend, XPel, Stongard, etc... which one should I get?

Which one offers the best value? Which one has the best patterns for the 993? Also, can anyone in the Northern New Jersey are recommend an installaion shop.

I can't take the rock chips on my front bumper anymore. The paint is so soft - it is rediculous! I believe the newer (993 and up) Porsche metallic paints are way softer and more prone to rock chips than the flat paints. Anyone else have any opinion?

Also anyone get the front bumper area repainted because of chips? Will it depreciate the value of the car?
Old 06-18-2001, 11:31 PM
H. Miller
Racer

Question

Tough question. I put the 3m clearbra on my 95C4 Coupe and was satisfied with it but sold the car after 15 months so don't know how it would look after years of use.
My wife bought a used 1995 325i with the 3m clearbra on it since it was new. It is 6 years old and it looks good as new.
I struggle with what to put on my 98C4S: colgan bra or clear bra??
Old 06-19-2001, 12:34 AM
D.G..
Instructor

Hi Rob,
All of the products you mentioned use the same 3M film. The only difference is the pattern. Stoneguard uses the fewest pieces and probably looks better than the others because it has fewer seams. However it costs more than the others and is the most difficult to install.
Xplel has one more piece than Stoneguard and costs about $85 less. I believe Armorfend has many more peices than the others, but is the easiest to install for DIYs.
BTW, I remember seeing a deragatory post about one of these companies. It had something to do with the company leaving a charity and/or an event sponsor holding the bag for $1000. Can anyone shed light on this?
Dave
Old 06-19-2001, 01:37 AM
Scott J.
AutoX

Dave is correct, one of these companies was indeed reportedly guilty of shafting a charity event. I also do not rembember which one it was but it was reported here about 1-1.5 months ago.
Old 06-19-2001, 01:47 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

I'll go along with Dave on this; basic difference is the patterns.

Of bigger concern to me is the capabilities of the installer. There are experts out there, and there are morons. You're in Northern New Jersey? Then turn off the computer, join the Porsche Club of America, and call up the prez of the local region (Northern New Jersey region) to see if he can put you in contact with some people who have had it done in your area. Look at the job, ask who did it, and choose a installer accordingly. I know for a fact Northern New Jersey has over 1000 members, and puts on several tech sessions a year at various shops plus holds several concours.

If you have several chios already, is probably a good idea to get the bumper repainted before installing the 3M stuff. I didn't and all the chips show clearly thru the paint (Adventurine Green). Devalue the car? Probably no more than having a bumper loaded with chips. Oh yeah - you have to wait a few months after a repaint before applying the 3M product.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:00 AM
993Widebody
Racer

Wink

Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<STRONG>I'll go along with Dave on this; basic difference is the patterns.

Of bigger concern to me is the capabilities of the installer. There are experts out there, and there are morons. You're in Northern New Jersey? Then turn off the computer, join the Porsche Club of America, and call up the prez of the local region (Northern New Jersey region) to see if he can put you in contact with some people who have had it done in your area. Look at the job, ask who did it, and choose a installer accordingly. I know for a fact Northern New Jersey has over 1000 members, and puts on several tech sessions a year at various shops plus holds several concours.</STRONG>
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the response, but... I am kind of tired of listening to your song and dance about turning off the computer, and blah blah blah. I know you think the solution to most problems is to turn off the computer and use a little ingenuity, resourcefulness, etc... but give it a break already.

How do you know I am not a member of PCA NNJR, do I need to put it in my signature?
How do you know I haven't tapped the resources of the NNJR.

The clearbra thing is not widely used by anyone, and the few people I have asked have all given me recommendations to non-local installers. Therefore, I used this board as a resource (see I am being resourceful). So, bottom line, shut up with the instigation that you are smarter than everyone else and that no one is as resourceful as you are. I've seen you blast many a board member way too quickly just because you perceive them to be too reliant on others on this board.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Armourfend, XPel, Stongard, etc... which one should I get?