993 Forum 1995-1998

Moisture in Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 02:23 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Moisture in Headlight

I've noticed after long drive in hard rain that some moisture collects on the inside of the psgr side head-lamp.
It dries out after a few days.

Anyone have this before and know the diagnosis?
- Just a seal rplcment? -if so how much?
- New headlamp assy? -how much?

I assume no harm waiting until it gets worse or bothers me enough to where I'll have to fix it...

Thanks,
Old 02-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Hi Tone,

The headlights actually consist of a few separate pieces held together with rubber seals. The lens, body and access hatches all have seals that can leak.

You have to look carefully at the light to see if there is anything obvious. I found a small rock chip on one of my lenses that allowed some water vapor inside...and I had some slight fogging. I ended up buying two new lenses, and followed the procedure on <a href="http://www.p-pcar.com" target="_blank">www.p-pcar.com</a> (Robin's site) to replace the lenses.

Take the lights out (it shows you how to do that in the car's manual) and check them over, maybe something is obvious.

The lenses where cheap ($60-80US?) and required a little bit of fiddling to install. If you do have the light apart clean the lenses as well...be carefull the reflector material is very very thin!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-04-2003, 11:03 AM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike where did you buy the lenses at. Mine are in decent shape but have the normal sand blasting because of the soft glass. I wouldn't mind changing them out and the price seems very reasonable. Thanks for any info.

Quick Reply: Moisture in Headlight