Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Opinions on Z06?

Old 06-14-2001, 06:17 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Post Opinions on Z06?

I'm contemplating going in with a friend on the purchase of a 2002 Z06. This started with a conversation we had about how we had some reservations about tracking our Porsche's and how it would be fun to have a dedicated track car that was civil enough to drive to and from the track.

Neither of us are into tinkering. We like to show up and go. The Z06 leaped to the front of the list because of it's performance and relative value. For about $47K you get 405 HP and 400 lb/ft (2002 MY) in a car that pulls a full G and has very strong brakes. On top of that, I think it looks pretty good.

I'm curiuos to know if anyone has direct or indirect feedback on the Z06. I've read about oil consumption problems that have led to some manufacturer buy-back, but this appears to be restrictyed to early build cars. Any feed back or opinion on this is appreciated.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:33 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found this on a quick google search: Z06 Forum

and this: Corvette Forums.com

Personally, I know a couple of guys with Z06s and both of them upgraded the brakes.

Good Luck,
Old 06-14-2001, 06:34 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Roger I have a couple of good friends with vettes one of them has a zo6 and it is a great car. It runs 12.70@117mph1/4 mile and top speed it has beaten some 993tt's hands down I have seen it. I would say go get one if you can find one. Also check out the vete board and talk to some owners I give it 5 stars

George George's 911-V8 Carrera
Old 06-14-2001, 06:54 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

I will not be much help but since I drove it...

I test drove a Z06 with an enthusiast salesman (I know, it must have been raining in Mars but he really was a rare breed). We took turns driving it. He was obviously very skilled and drove some fast 0-60s too - I liked the cornering, acceleration, handling. Brakes seemed worthy enough but not as good as our TT brakes (just my feel, not backed up by anything). Also we drove for a short distance so I could not test brakes under repeated braking conditions. Clutch seemed strong, car had about 2K miles and was obviously not showing signs of wear as yet with this manic shifting. Steering feedback not like M3 or Porsche but different and good in a different way.

Probably a good idea if you are trying to avoid using the TT as your track car. And you lose much less since the Z06 may depreciate pretty fast with or without track use.

do not know anything about its oil consumption issues but personally I do not like its looks any more or less than the regular Corvette.

I have no basis to compare it to regular Corvettes since this is my only Corvette experience. Corvette forums must exist for more hard facts.

BTW, at the first dealership I went to, there was the air of "shortage car", just like the Modena, TT buzz. But at another one, the guy promised me a car in my colour within 3 weeks. I guess he just assumed that I would not buy a car that he beat up on but he offered it for about $48K if I recall and would probably have gone lower. I think they are upping the power soon.

Best of luck.

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: Ran ]
Old 06-15-2001, 05:02 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Haven't driven a Z06 but did take a '99 Convertible out for a drive (my cousin is a 'Vette freak, and I went out car hunting with him). These latest versions are a vast improvement over old versions, but I guess I'm still dedicated to rear engine air cooled Porsches. Shifter to me was too far back; on shift into "lower" gates (2ND 4TH, etc.), shift **** was too far back for my comfort - had to twist arm to engage gear. Also, the traction control was way too aggressive, with it apparently shutting down car very early in braking and cornering. Steering also didn't have the sharpness the 993 does, but this is expected with a lunk of an engine in front of the driver rather than behind him. Otherwise, was a very nice driver and performer and was nicely finished.

From all I've heard, the Z06 is a hellufa rocket for the money. Drive it (or at least a regular Coupe) to see if it suits your taste and go from there.
Old 06-17-2001, 09:50 AM
Doug Malone
Advanced

Wink

Roger, I previously owned a Mallett 435 (a tuner C5 with more HP and better handling than Z06). As to the Z06, for dedicated track use, I would add the T1 package, the GM transmission cooler, upgrade brakes (at least, pads/rotors/brakelines/AP600 fluid), and perhaps a larger radiator (Fluidyne). I have not heard of any oil consumption problems with the LS1 engines, but for track use you should be running a 50 weight oil.

Doug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on Z06?