993 Forum 1995-1998

About to Take the Plunge....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 10:50 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up About to Take the Plunge....

After looking for almost 8 months, I found a very clean, original owner 1995 993 C2 with 54K miles in Black with Grey Leather Int. 18" wheels, sport package, all options CLEAN.

I'm over from the 986 Boxster crew. Just not enough power there.

Paying $33,900 for it which I think is a STEAL since I have not seen many south of $40,000.

Anything I need to be on the lookout for service wise right away?

I pick her up Monday. It's going to be a long weekend....

Sean
Old 06-13-2001, 10:51 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Oh yeah, it's a six speed..

Sean
Old 06-13-2001, 11:14 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Exclamation

WOW that is an incredible price ....... so:

(1) the owner has no clue what the car is worth - lucky you; or

(2) there is something wrong with it

I don't want to put you off / have you miss a bargain - but would recommend you tread carefully, as an absolute minmimum pay to have it thoroughly inspected by a competent and independent mechanic. If possible, insist on a written report.

Good Luck !
Old 06-13-2001, 11:39 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Sean D,

Congratulations, and welcome to 993s.

Not to take the wind out of your sails, but you might want to consider TWO PPI's - a mechanical inspection, as well as a second body shop inspection to ensure it hasn't been wrecked.

Many Porsche dealerships specifically exclude body and frame inspection from their PPI list, so it pays to be extra careful.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2001, 12:38 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would echo the sound advice from Chris & Anir. The price is great IF the car is good. As you may know from your 986 experience, Porsche parts & repairs are expensive, so a major problem could easily turn your bargain into a nightmare. A good, thorough PPI is very cheap insurance.

Get all the service records from the PO or, if not available, get them from your P dealer (they, or you, can get the records if done by any P dealer in the country). As to service, the usual - change oil & brake fluids if not done timely. Same w/scheduled services if not done. If you've been following this Board, you know there are a few areas to watch - wiring harness on some '95 & bad slave cylinder on all 993. Windshield creaks, etc. just require a louder exhaust & more speed

Hope it does turn out to your lucky find!

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Dan 96C2 St.Louis ]
Old 06-14-2001, 02:30 AM
SeanD
Instructor

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on this one. It's a dealer. They do only high-end autos. Largest Viper dealer in the nation (of all things) and sell quite a few Ps. I found out about it on accident while calling on a silver '95 that was $43,900 with similar miles I think. Anyway, I made sure that they faxed me a buyers order fisrt and then they are sending me photos via email and faxing records. They are only about 2 hours south of me in Florida. Maybe I'll take tomorrow off and drive down to see it. I wish I were not going out of town this weekend!! Bad timing.

I really havent been following this board at all. So bad master cylinder was it? And windshield creaks? I'm for sure going to have it checked out.

If this one is a lemon, I have my eye on a few more in Florida.

Sean
Old 06-14-2001, 09:00 AM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Exclamation

Sean

A dealer KNOWS how much a 1995 993 C2 should be worth - so why is he selling it for around 10k less than anywhere in these parts are asking for similiar cars ?

I would be pretty wary .......

JMHO
Old 06-14-2001, 10:05 AM
Tom T.
Instructor

Originally posted by Chris in Detroit:
<STRONG>Sean

A dealer KNOWS how much a 1995 993 C2 should be worth - so why is he selling it for around 10k less than anywhere in these parts are asking for similiar cars ?

I would be pretty wary .......

JMHO</STRONG>
Pretty much agree. About two years ago I once saw a red/black 1996 993 coupe at a local Porsche dealer. The price started at $56K or so. Price went down a few weeks later, then a few more weeks it went into the high $40K's. They finally sold it for about $45K. When I asked they said they had it and drove it for a while and just wanted to get it off their books. Nothing was wrong with it. Could be a similar situation here too. Try to get good PPI and maybe have the selling dealer write an extended warranty.

Goodluck!

Tom
1995 993
Old 06-14-2001, 12:57 PM
SeanD
Instructor

AN UPDATE:

It was too good to be true. They faxed over the buyers order and it was for $39,900 NOT $33,900. Oh well. I still might buy it anyway. Still not a bad price for a 95 with 54K miles and all the goodies. Anyone have a Black with Gret leather int 993? Also should I step up to a 996 instead. They are better on payments than a used '95 993. I've driven the 996 when I was buying my Boxster, but I have not driven a 993. I'm sure your guys are biased, but really what are the pros and cons?

TIA

Sean
Old 06-14-2001, 12:59 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Sorry, I meant anyone have a pic of a Black with grey leather int 993 that they can post a URL for or a here on the board??

Sean
Old 06-14-2001, 01:27 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Sean, I will add this (sorry if you guys are tired of hearing this):

I bought my 95 (nicely optioned too) for $32,500 with 82,000 miles on the ticker. It was from an individual (not dealer) who was asking $37,900. I was able to get the price down by using dealer prices to fix some minor oil leaks.

Yours is only the second one I have seen less than $40, so I would make sure the PPI is compleated and definately make sure a body shop looks at it too. It is worth the few dollars to do that.

YOur price seems pretty good even if the car checks out, but I am sure the dealer will work with you.

Make sure you budget money for a new wiring harness (see my website) and clutch slave cylinder at the minimum and you will probably want to do a 60,000 right away to make sure the car is on schedule.

Overall looks like a good deal if the car checks out okay.

As for the 993 vs 996 don't even bother. If you are still asking yourself that, you need to drive them back to back to make sure. Everyone here will tell you the 993 is the way to go me included.

Good luck,

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: E. J. - 95 Carrera - No. Va. ]
Old 06-14-2001, 02:51 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by SeanD:
<STRONG>should I step up to a 996 instead</STRONG>
Quick Sean - use the edit feature to delete that question. 'Cause on this Board, at least, a 996 is NOT a "step up," although both are wonderful, great, blah, blah, blah...

Seriously, the 996 & 993 really are quite different cars, albeit, siblings. There are objective differences, but the more important ones are emotional/visceral and have prompted looooong & very heated posts in the past (on the "old" 993/996 Board) - which hopefully will not be repeated in response to your post.

Quick Reply: About to Take the Plunge....