Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

95 cab top problems

Old 03-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Rideone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 95 cab top problems

I’ll ramble on with misc. thoughts on what I think the issue is with the top and how it was working prior to disconnecting power option.

When I bought it, the top would unlatch, go down, go up and latch by pressing the button only. The warning light always remained on when the top was in the up position but would go off while in the down pos.

Later last summer, the top latching motors would intermittently fail to latch the top to the header when the top was what appeared to be in the nearly closed position. The top drive motors would still attempt to drive the top further in the closed direction but the latch motors would not operate. I thought this to mean that the controller did not sense the position of the top correctly to switch on and off the correct motors. As such, I played with the micro-switches mounted in the top bow to make sure they were opening and closing and adjusted their positions. This seemed to work for a while.

The problem arose again and I did not want to risk bending the top linkage because the drive motors didn’t shut off at the right time. I also recall the drive motors starting too early (before the latches were completely disengaged) when lowering the top. So, I disabled the motors using the recommended procedure of turning the bolt at each drive motor.

There are also micro-switches in the latch motors themselves. I think the passenger side micro-switch inside the pass. latch motor may be bad and not signaling the controller as to the proper position of the latch arm. The passenger side seemed to be acting up more than the driver’s. These are just my thoughts.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated !

Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 AM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a recall on that closing motor latch due to it failing. Make sure it was completed on your car. The dealer can pull it up by you vin # to see if it was done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 cab top problems