993 Forum 1995-1998

My beloved 993TT has met its match!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 10:40 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool My beloved 993TT has met its match!

Today, I purchased a 1999 Ducati 900 Supersport from a friend who is a true enthusiast and babied it to no end (e.g. four oil changes in a total of 1730 miles!). It's Ferrari yellow (hey Jack!), with several aftermarket mods, including Forza carbon fiber exhaust, reprogrammed ECU, larger rear sprocket.

I haven't owned a bike in 16 years, and I forgot just how great it feels. The acceleration is hard to describe, and makes the 993TT feel almost slow by comparison. The wind in the face, that Italian exhaust sound... wow, what a great day!

All for about 8% of what I spent on the Porsche! Now, if I can just stay alive!

Anyone else here own a bike?

Old 06-09-2001, 11:47 PM
vortrex
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ex-993 owner, am importing this 250cc 2-stroke from japan as we speak, should be here in 2 weeks or so.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: vortrex ]

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: vortrex ]
Old 06-10-2001, 12:06 AM
Mrdi
Advanced

Have my feelers on a Duc Monster 900s right now. The only thing slowing me down is exactly what you expressed. How long can I stay alive? And I need a little more room in the garage. Nothing like a scooter!!!
Mrdi
Old 06-10-2001, 12:08 AM
Mrdi
Advanced

Since when did they start making Aprillias in Japan?
Old 06-10-2001, 12:37 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>The acceleration is hard to describe, and makes the 993TT feel almost slow by comparison.

Anyone else here own a bike?
</STRONG>
Almost slow? When I first test-drove 993's, I was riding a Kawi ZX-11D (0-60 in 2.7 sec, 1/4 mi. in 10.2 @135 mph). I after the test-drive of the 993, I mentioned to the salesman that I thought it would have been a lot quicker. So we took a 993TT for a drive. Not that much different, I said. He replied, "well, compared to a superbike..."

Here's one of current bikes: '97 Triumph Speed Triple, 955cc, flat-slides, etc. 117 rwhp.

More pics and specs here...
Old 06-10-2001, 12:37 AM
vortrex
AutoX

aprilia is not made in japan, rather italy. because it's a non-legal bike for the street in the US, I am importing from japan. the bikes sent to the US are track only, and don't have any of the street features, lights, mirrors, etc.
Old 06-10-2001, 12:40 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Just sold my Triumph T955i. Boy, race mods were so little money compared to the 993! I miss the bike but dont miss the traffic in chicago, the blind drivers, the left turn jackass's. I've never come close to being killed in my car, the bike... thats another story. Enjoy the Duc! just keep this one thought in mind, drive like everyone is out to get you.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: Eric in Chicago ]
Old 06-10-2001, 03:36 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anir:

Congrats on getting the Ducati, and of course, it's the best color.

Just be careful, we don't want to lose you!
Old 06-10-2001, 07:01 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just purchased this beauty from Bob Prosser @ Symbolic Motor Cars. Should be at my home just in time for my arrival from the jungle. [img]d:\scott\314702.jpg[/img]
Old 06-10-2001, 07:56 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

CONGRATS Anir. It looks gorgeous in every way. Now this will bring up your lagging average transportation mileage above 9.5 ! You did not publish the stats on it...

Best of luck with it.
Old 06-10-2001, 08:09 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics! My exhaust looks very similar to the ones on your Aprilia & Triumph. The Duc 900 SS is trumped a bit in the HP department by your bikes, but I don't know what I'd do with more than 80 hp anyway. I have no plans to try for 130 mph, much less 160 mph!

With respect to safety, this may be major rationalization, but here goes...Many things that we do each day are "unsafe" - driving to work, taking an airplane to go on vacation, DE events?, eating ice cream with your son each night (when your cholesterol is like mine!)

I perform surgery for a living, and some estimates suggest that as many as 3% of all surgical gloves have undetected, tiny holes in them. Scary, aye? And we care for contagious diseases without a current cure, such as Tuberculosis, AIDS, etc. It's well worth it, and I love what I do.

I've seen patients that never smoked a day in their life die of lung cancer, and others who indulged in alcohol and cigarettes live long, productive lives. Same for heart disease (remember Jim Fixx, the runner?). So, go figure. Maybe, it really is all down to fate.

Hokey or not, the above arguments seem to have worked their magic on my wife! Eric, driving the bike has induced a low level "paranoia", in that I watch every soccer-mom in every minivan and Volvo like a hawk to make sure their little fingers don't suddently twitch in my direction.

The Aprilia and Triumph are works of art. Forgive me for asking a potentially stupid question, but is the Triumph a British bike? I've never seen one before.

Safe riding (and driving).

By the way, these pics are not my bike - just ones I downloaded months ago from the net.
Old 06-10-2001, 11:05 AM
NRK
Advanced

I have a few bikes, too, including a '93 Ducati (rest are Italian also). Mortailty is a BIG issue for me, rationalizations aside. I try to be extra vigilant, ride only in the early am when no one's awake, and ride at a pace (most times) that allows me to take in the scenery, absorb the smells and sounds, and enjoy the solitude.

Bikes are big fun.
Old 06-10-2001, 11:11 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Triumph is a British made bike. The brand name was revived several years ago with massive $$ from the British goverment. They now turn out Superbikes,Crusiers ect. The top of the line Daytona runs with the Ducati 996's. Advice on keeping safe, always watch the front tires of cars comming in your direction, they will turn ever so slightly before a left hand turn, this is the most common accident. Enjoy!

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Eric in Chicago ]
Old 06-10-2001, 05:34 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

NRK and Eric,

Thank you for the great, great advice.

Warm regards,
Old 06-10-2001, 06:29 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anir:

With respect to safety, this may be major rationalization, but here goes...

Terrific acquisition - I'm sure you will have fun with it.

As regards longivity, it sometimes helps to adopt the Asian belief that all major life events are pre-ordained at birth. So do good karma and the rest will take care of itself (please no one see this as a justification for unsafe driving/riding).

Quick Reply: My beloved 993TT has met its match!