Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 10:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice!

I have 2001 H-D 1200 Sportster, I was about to buy 996 Ducati, but ended up buyng a Harley. Not a fastest ride there is, but you know, the rumble...
Old 06-12-2001, 08:05 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Anir,

I too am a bike nut - well, anything with an engine actually !

A couple of things to help keep you safe :
1) don't take 'the racing line' through bends, but stay wide to maximise visibility.
2) just because a driver looks at you does not mean they have seen you.
3) treat everyone else on the road as a maniac who will do the unexpected (i.e. always leave yourself an option)

It sounds like you got a great bike.
Have fun out there

what a view !
(sorry for the size of the pics)
Old 06-12-2001, 11:52 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 668 Likes on 462 Posts
Hey Anir, sweet bike!

I also have a passion for bikes, although I seem to be the only Japanese fan here...
I have almost always owned a Suzuki as I do now..

it does the 1.4 mile in about 10 flat and the top speed has been reported as 307km/h

I have put on a full Akrapovic exhaust system, a BMC airfilter and a Power Commander 3r with ignition advance...over the winter I plan on getting the Yoshimura stage one cams and getting the head ported and polished...that should be good for ~ 172 RWHP

there is nothing better than riding a bike on a nice summer day...not even driving our pcars is as good...IMO of course...
Old 06-12-2001, 06:51 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Thanks for all the great posts. It's nice to see that I'm not the only individual here putting emotion before common sense!

I especially appreciate the great tips relating to safety. What types of helmets do ya'll wear? How about "body armor"?

Robb, you are definitely NOT the only fan of Japanese superbikes. I love them too, and one could make a strong argument that they are superior. I bought the Duc because it sort of fell into my lap, and it's the closest I can get to a Ferrari right now! I also love the low, rumbly twin sound.

Thanks also for posting the beautiful pics. There are a lot of great choices in racing bikes nowadays.

I am looking forward to the relatively low running costs of the bike - great mpg, cheaper tires (and only 2 of them!), inexpensive maintenance compared to the 993TT.

Wouldn't a combined Porsche / Superbike track day be cool? Too bad, we all live so far apart.

Safe riding,

Disclaimer: Pic is not me, as if you couldn't guess!

Old 06-13-2001, 12:57 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 668 Likes on 462 Posts
I absolutely can't wait till I have a chance to take my 1000 to the track...I did 4 track days last year on my 2000 GSX-R 750....it was great on the track...but I am ten times as comfortable on my 1000, it's a little bigger and has A LOT more power...
and it's so controllable I love it

I have had opportunity to get my knee down three times already with this bike in street riding...the track will be intense!

I wear an Arai RX7 RR4 helmet, I have 2...I wear Dianese Leathers but they are getting rather worn...any recomendations? for footwear I have Sidi Vertebra's

happy trails to all, and if you can, by all means: TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: Robb M ]
Old 06-13-2001, 03:20 PM
John W
Pro

Yep, I agree with Rob.

Rx7 RR4, Dainesse leathers & gloves, Sidi boots, and a Jap bike

Rx7s are a little noisy with all the vents, so its best to get some ear-plugs as well.

Also, the choice is yours obviously, but I recommend a near clear visor with sunglasses.
If it gets dark you can take the glasses off, but your less likely to carry a spare visor if you go out with a tinted one fitted...

Dainesse leathers aren't cheap, but are very supple, come with decent armour, and are pretty waterproof as well - for leather clothing.

I have a track day booked for 6 weeks time at the new UK circuit - Rockingham.
A few of us are doing a California Superbikes training course there (3 days !)
Woohoo - Can't wait !

Have fun guys.
Old 06-13-2001, 07:33 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

John and Robb,

The Arai RX7RR3 and RR4 do not fit my conehead well at all - too much pressure across the forehead. I plan to order a Signet GT, and continue using my AGV until that arrives. Everyone seems to concur with your praise about Arai helmets.

The Dainese leather looks great. I particularly like the Dainese Ducati GT jacket, although I wonder if I should be wearing a one-piece suit for maximum protection. The one-piece jobs seem to have superior chest and spine protection, which I know is important from the years I spent in the ER. What style of leather do you wear? Is it perforated? Is it more dangerous to wear a two piece set-up (leather jacket with leather pants)?

To be honest, I don't want to look like an overdone dork, since I'm really just interested in street riding (and staying alive), not full fledged racing. I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard.

I've also heard great things about Held gloves and Prexport boots.

I really appreciate the help. I want to maximize my chances of walking away from a perhaps inevitable crash.

Old 06-14-2001, 06:03 AM
John W
Pro

Hi ya,

funnily enough I found the arai helmets uncomfortable a few years back, so I bought a dainese helmet. It is a good light helmet, but has crap ventilation.
This time around when I tried on an arai it felt a lot better. Maybe they have changed their padding slightly...
Also, a point ot note - the side cheeks are changeable, so you can ge a helmet that fits well on the rest of your head, and then get thinner or thicker cheeks as required.

It is important that you find a comfortable good fitting helmet. Don't buy based on the name, 'cos the name means little in protection as you bounce down the road !

I have a two-piece zip together set of leathers (black with a yellow strip down the arms). One piece look very cool, but aren't too practical when you stop, or want to go somewhere and wander around.
With a two-piece I can take the jacket off, feed a security wire up through the arms and lock it to the bike if need be.
They still offer the same protection, and if your concerned about a back protector, buy a seperate one that straps on like a kidney belt. It will be better positioned in the event you need it.
I don't use a back protector, but thats my choice (I have been thinking about getting one though).
I can't see how a one-piece gives better chest protection. What makes you think this ??

A lot of people in the UK also buy Hein- Gericke clothing, which is good quality but not the same price as dainese.
I also bought some bits from Richa when I visited Gert in Belgium (thanks Gert !!) They do great gloves and waterproofs.
I'm not sure if their stuff is available in the US.
http://www.richa.be/ http://www.hein-gericke.de/index-uk.html

By the way having a crash is not compulsory
Bye for now, best get on with my work !!
Old 06-14-2001, 08:25 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote: "I can't see how a one-piece gives better chest protection. What makes you think this ??"

John,

With the Dainese Ducati leathers, only the one piece suits have built-in armor in the chest area.

As you suggested, I may simply buy a separate back protector.

"Having a crash is not compulsory": Of course, you're right, but most people who ride long enough eventually take a spill (unfortunately). Sort of falls into the cateogry of "when", not "if". I'm just trying to assume the worst and plan accordingly.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:57 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here in Florida, we don't use helmets...

Actually, I do, I have open helmet (chrome with flames) when I drive to work etc. Sometimes, early in the weekend morning, I got to A1A to have a quiet slow cruise without a helmet, it is very nice to drive along the ocean with a hog.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:55 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the Spidi leathers. They have nice one and two piece leathers and the Spidi gloves I have give you added protection with carbon fiber inserts over the knuckles.
www.spidi.it
Old 06-14-2001, 01:27 PM
D.G..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't resist placing this post. I'm in the process of seting up a 10 day 2000 mile cross contry bike trip starting in Beijing China. We will be riding new Chinese made knock offs of WWII German boxers with side cars. We will stay in whatever passes for motels in the Chinese country side. One of our group lives in Beijing and speaks fluent Mandrin. The the other two speak English/Swiss. It should be an adventure.
My longest previous ride was a 10,000 mile, 4 week ride from Los Angeles to Alaska and Back in '95. I camped out (in a tent) every night. '94 Honda VFR750F. Great trip, lots of stories.
P-Car content: I like bikes as much or more than my P-Car, but I don't like the odds of survival on a bike.
Dave
Old 06-14-2001, 01:36 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Dave,

And I thought I was the adventurous type!
Old 06-14-2001, 03:36 PM
LarryK
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just purchased a piece of Porsche art at www.wallwerks.com, and I noticed that he had Ducati prints as well.

Thought you all might like to know.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:58 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

John and Robb,

I bought an Arai Signet GT helmet ($372) and Sidi Strada boots ($185) today from Cycle Depot in LA (866-292-5333, www.cycledepot.net). The salesman named Gus was very helpful, and the prices seemed competitive. We don't exactly have a lot of great bike shops here in Lexington (or good restaurants for that matter). The Sidi boots are basically an all black, junior version of the Vertebras. Thanks for the recs.

I'm planning to look at the Dainese leathers this weekend, but will check out the Spidi line as well, Sam.

Larry, I like some of the Wallwerk 356 prints, so I'll go see the Ducatis. I love automotive art, and just bought my first original automotive painting - by Alfredo de la Maria. It's entitled Monaco 1950, and depicts Juan Manuel Fangio in front of the Hotel Mirabeau. I'm waiting for it to arrive from Argentina.

Quick Reply: My beloved 993TT has met its match!