Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 02:48 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front center tow hook mounting. Pics

Hey all,
Was discussing this with Kim and Jay (pleasure to meet you this weekend) on the race forums.

Got around to fabricating the little support box to keep the center tow hook from pulling out and moving around. Heres what I came up with.
Large plates are ~3/16" 304 stainless (~5" wide) and the triangular supports (one on each side and 2 on the back for the overhang) are 1/16" stainless. Tig welded the pieces of the box together then had my friend mig the assembly onto the frame. Now I need to coat /paint the ground down areas of my trunk so my car doesn't rust away .

Old 03-21-2004, 03:01 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

COOL!!!!! Great stuff Princenton!
Old 03-21-2004, 06:11 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kim - I designed this after speaking with Steve Weiner. He was telling me that the factory RSRs that he has in the shop used 2 plates of 3/16" steel flat against the bulkhead and that they only needed to be about 4" wide. Figured a fully structured box that is wider and spreads the load more than the factory design should do the job. I definitely wanted to add as little weight as possible.

I also thought about fabricating two bars that go back and connect with the two points where the suspension bolts up. I wanted to keep it so that the spare tire will still fit in there when I drive to Austin so i decided against it.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:42 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In fact, yours looks stronger than the factory way. The Cup tow hook is just a "U" shaped bent metal rod with threaded ends and it goes thru the vertical bulkhead with a reinforcement plate and nuts at the end.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:28 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real cars have tow rings. Red tow rings... hehehe...

Quick Reply: Front center tow hook mounting. Pics