Sponsored by:

Halon vs Halotron

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 11:45 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Post Halon vs Halotron

Based on the archives and an internet search, I understand that halotron has replaced halon as an environmentally friendlier , FAA approved fire suppressant. Stable Energies sells both halon and halotron but the latter is less expensive, which is great.

Are there any downsides to halotron in an automobile environment that might be a liability such as pressure intolerances to cockpit heat, shelf life, etc. that I am unaware of?

Also, if I go with HALON and end up using it, will I be able to recharge it with HALOTRON or do I need a new cylinder?

If it's cheaper and better than halon, it seems to be the way to go. However, I've never heard of the stuff before so I wanted to ask someone else.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Skytop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Here is one explanation to your Halotron question:

Halotron I is a clean fire extinguishing agent which is US EPA approved and sold
worldwide. It replaces halon 1211

Halotron I is an environmentally acceptable replacement for Halon 1211. It is a "clean agent" which is discharged as a rapidly evaporating liquid that leaves no residue. Class A and Class B fires can be effectively extinguished using a Halotron I extinguisher.

Effective April 6, 1998, the manufacture of the Halon 1211-1301 blend is prohibited (Federal Register, 63 FR 11084 dated March 5, 1998) except for aviation fire protection, provided that the owner at the time of disposal, if there is any Halon remaining in the unit, properly returns the unit to the manufacturer for the recycling of the Halon.

Therefore, effective April 6, the Halon 1211-1301 blend will only be sold "for aviation use only" in the United States
Old 12-27-2002, 11:00 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Thanks for the info, Skytop. Anyone else have any experience they want to share?

I spoke to Bob at Stable Energies and who said halotron is a foam that suppresses the fire by smothering and cools the fuel with the water content of the foam. It cleans up easily without corrosion but it still has to be cleaned up, unlike halon. Halotron is also more effective than halon in windy conditions. Besides the clean up issue, halotron is less efficient at fire fighting than halon.

Halon supplies are still plentiful and recharging is not a problem.

That said, I think I'll go with halon.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Halon vs Halotron