Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT! Audi Allroad…

Old 03-15-2004, 06:00 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT! Audi Allroad…

I have been thinking about another car since the C4S is in working order and the truck is paid off (Any body want a ‘76 911s with new suspension and engine?) and went and took a look at the Audi Allroad with a 2.7 twin turbo. I like the way the car looks compared to a full size SUV, although I have been also thinking about a Toureg or Cayenne. Has any one had any experience with this vehicle and what is your opinion on the look?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

I like the Allroads quite a bit. We just bought a Tahoe as we needed more room. Otherwise an allroad was on the top of my list. I'm sure it handles great comparitively. You can chip those allroads to get alot more power than the stock 250hp. They've been having problems with the stock turbos failing though. They have a 4.2 V8 option. Audi's fit and finish are really really good too.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:20 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:58 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife wanted me to buy an SUV. The only one I considered at the time was an X5 but like the Allroad it was out of my price range so I bought an S4 Avant.

IMO, the Allroad is the most unique car on the road. It's very distinctive and really quick. It's a second slower than my car only because of its heft. I love them.

In hindsight I wish I spent the extra money for an Allroad because you really get the value.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:08 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

There are so many nice vehicles on the market today. My girlfriend has a G35 with sport suspension; I can’t believe how this car drives. I would put it up against a BMW in the same price range any day. I will admit that I am getting a bit tired of the SUV look, not to say I may; in the end, buy one. But I think that is the reason I’m leaning towards the Allroad. I do have some reservations on the Twin Turbo Motor though, I certainly can use the gas mileage (27 Hwy) but I put about 35,000 miles on a car in a year and wonder about there longevity.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Longevity? Well the 2.7TT motor is tempermental. However since I have a warranty I could care less. Give it to the dealer and let them fix it. I've had some problems with my S4 but none with the motor.

In Houston it rains a tons and more often than not the overdevelopment has caused terrible drainage. I like the Allroad because it has the power of a sports sedan, comfort and capacity of a luxury SUV, PLUS PLUS PLUS the adjustable ride height.

SUVs? yawn...But that's just me.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:43 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

I agree!
Old 03-15-2004, 07:58 PM
jstahmann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allroads are fine if you remember what they are - A6 Avants on an air suspension. If you're looking for something sporty, look at an S6, but if you want something that can handle some mild off road excursions and you don't mind a soft suspension and some flat non-bolstered seats, an Allroad is fine.

Personally I'd go with the Touareg over the Allroad if you're looking for Sport Utility Functionality - room, towing capability, height, off-road ability.

They can be fun off-road, just don't expect too much from them. And if you go with one, get the 4.2 V8 version - smoother power, better resale.

A good place to look for info is our Allroad forums at Audiworld.com - http://www.audiworld.com/forum/allroad.html

John

AudiWorld.com Contributing Editor

Last edited by jstahmann; 03-16-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:12 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

John, S6 is no longer made and was never availabe with a manual tramsmission in the States, for example.
Allroad is indeed an A6 Avant with 2.7T engine (an absolute jewell, if you ask me), better interior, more clearance and gadgetry.
I've driven them almost daily through most of 2003 along with other Audis and find them to be a very nice family vehicle compromise.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:25 PM
jla3317
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong, but I believe Audi is going to stop importing the Allroads soon because of poor sales in North America. There have also been some incredible recent promotional incentives and prices from Audi on them. You should check with your local Audi dealer. I own an '01 S4 Biturbo (2.7 T). It is completely stock and have had absolutely no problems at all in four (4) years (45K miles on the clock). I have taken the S4 on a number of 1500+ mile trips out to Colorado and Montana. Really nice even without chipping the motor for more h.p. I have owned Audis since 1986 and highly recommend ownership based on my experience. However, I know not everyone would agree with me there. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:35 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Audi will make a limited run of what they call a 2005 Allroads and stop probably in August.
The reason for that is that a new A6 platform is coming as a 2005. The other reason is that 2.7T will, sadly, be discontinued alltogether.
I'm not sure which incentives you're referring to other than the standard Audi Loyalty money which is currently at $1000 and was up to $2000 in 2003, but it was true for _all_ A6 cars.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Amazing car, with great write ups on it! If you can get it, I would say go for it. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 03-15-2004, 09:55 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

John. I'm sure you've check out AudiWorld's forums. One other thing.

IMO, what does not look good is an Allroad with 'normal' street rims. I saw one at our local Audi dealership and it looks silly. The OE allroad rims are much more muscular looking to match the husky look of the car.

AudiWorld allroad Forum
Old 03-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

John,

I have a 2002 Audi allroad. I love this car! The finish is exceptionally nice and the car rides, performs & handles very well.

Didn't you used to live in Hermosa? Anyway, if you are down here let me know (South Bay) and I'll let you test drive it.

Rich
Old 03-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

I had a 2001 Allroad with the 6spd manual. I needed something for a tow vehicle to get my car to the track. I still regret giving up the allroad, but having the 993 out on the track makes all of that go away .

The tip seemed to have a lag, but with the manual the car is totally different. I was surprised to see alot of the same interior items in the Cayenne and Touareg.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT! Audi Allroad…