Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Install finished! Feel like I'm driving a beast! (Better pics this time)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:23 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sachin, Congrats! Wow, very impressive. Enjoy!

Old 08-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Beautiful Job
The fan looks great !
Old 08-17-2004, 06:06 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

Looks incredible fantastic job on the install. I did however have a Z06 and I am pretty sure you didn't leave one. It was probally a base model I have had one of those also and the difference is quite noticable. Great looking car though I would be interested in seeing what your dyno numbers are.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the nice words.

The dyno was 325hp to all 4 wheels on an AWD dyno (310 before the intercooler). We are estimating around 410-425hp at the crank. I've attached an updated pic with the intercooler installed.

GTR993,
I'm sure it wasn't a ZO6, but since then I've added an intercooler and adjusted my fuel/timing map. I'm sure I can take one off the line now, but it would probably take me after 100mph.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the nice words.

The dyno was 325hp to all 4 wheels on an AWD dyno (310 before the intercooler). We are estimating around 410-425hp at the crank. I've attached an updated pic with the intercooler installed.

GTR993,
I'm sure it wasn't a ZO6, but since then I've added an intercooler and adjusted my fuel/timing map. I'm sure I can take one off the line now, but it would probably take me after 100mph.
Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2004, 07:00 PM
islandman
AutoX

Default Here is my install.....

Your install looks awsome... you should be proud to show it off....

My tuner also changed the pulley and I get 8lbs boost @ intercooler exit. He says that with his remapping of the stock computer and the 7th injector, plus the large intercooler I should not have any detonation problems.... (Not for the faint hearted). I'm now saving for the flywheel/tranny gearing upgrades....
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2004, 07:18 PM
CMJ
Intermediate

I have the same install here in the UK. Bought it on the car and not quite got it as I would like. Do you get any hesitation if you floor the throttle or try to move off in to high a gear ? Is the power steady all the way to the redline ? Mine hesitates like there may be a fuel mapping issue and also can dip power around 5600 revs. However when its on the money it really flies......
Tried to up load some pics but I suspect this might not of worked
Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sachin,
Congratulations on your project! Unfortunately, these type of mods are illegal in Switzerland. When tuning an engine, you are not allowed to increase the hp by more than 10%.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:30 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
Sachin,
Congratulations on your project! Unfortunately, these type of mods are illegal in Switzerland. When tuning an engine, you are not allowed to increase the hp by more than 10%.
I think it's the same in Sweden, but of course it's ok to buy an original unmodified RUF from the factory
Old 08-18-2004, 12:33 PM
dale_loch
Instructor

CMJ,
It appears as if you have the older style system for fuel management of the 7th injector. The newer (updated) ones are typically mounted on the fuse box panel (engine bay). Check to see if your's is under your drivers seat (little black box with LED's and a vacuum line). The updated box's are very reasonably priced from TPC.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:18 PM
CMJ
Intermediate

Dale
Engine mangement is strapped to fuse box in the engine. System was fitted about 2.5 years ago and I believe can now be updated to include a smaller pully. I intend to replace the pully with the smaller one and to have everything re mapped. Whats the 7th injector ? How does this improve things ? Does any one know about how much from TPC ? Also can someone explain the difference in bp figures between wheels and crank ? I guess I know where there is a difference but when we see Porsches quoted figures of say 380 for a turbo is this at the wheel or crank ? Finally TPC advertise the kit on their website for a 993 at 380bp !! Is this at the wheel or crank and how do I make mine get to this level ?
NB - I apologise to all members that I have not yet subscribed after all this time. It will be done this weekend.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2004, 10:28 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Sachin, and interested supercharger people,
I have now put on about 1800 miles with the installed supercharger, it is well worth the cost. The car is soooooo much more fun.

Here is a shot of the engine

I am getting some missfire codes at high acceleration/boost. Also the main belt seems a bit skewed as it comes off the idler pulley and goes up to the blower pulley. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check and correct this? I shortened all of the wire runs, grounded the black box, and wrapped and grounded the cables/splice areas with EMI shielded cable cover wrap. I will be going to TPC tomorrow to see JW's car and intercooler and see if they have any suggestions on these issues.

Thanks all and Rennlist is the Bomb for information!!!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:35 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do OBDi or OBDii loggers enable inlet or head temps to be logged? If so, it would be interesting to see the effect on temps of the S/C and the S/C with the intercooler. I expect IF the engine is now making 420 HP-ish, the oil cooloing load will have been increased somewhat. I take it you are running an aux oil cooler?
Old 11-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used various PC-based OBD-II scan tools.
We also use the Snap-On branded tool aside from the PST2.
It seems that only the Bosch Hammer or the PST can pick up important Porsche-specific codes (such as may be the case with this engine, the knock sensors) but I haven't tried to differentiate between head temps and oil temps.

It seems to me, especially for these after-market systems, the vendor should have a troubleshooting sequence to diagnose and debug the whole system.

Just to throw out another idea: at wide-open-throtte, the ECU is running fixed MAP tables (not reading MAF) so unless you've intercepted crank angle to control timing (excuse me for not knowing the details of this installation) then the box running the blower and the up-stream enrichment can't control timing to avoid detonation (and has to wait until it's too late and the knock sensors take over.)

Up-stream enrichment (the 7th injector) doesn't control the beginning and duration of fuel delivery. It seems to me that a forced induction system should have adequate fuel rail pressure and larger injectors with a higher duty cycle under the control of an auxillary computer. I have to imagine this topic occurs many times in the archives, so I'm not asking for renewed debate. Just making the observation. I've heard of the TPC system working and I've heard of people having trouble with exactly these sorts of issues.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:31 PM
cecil
Instructor

Mr. Bock you need to get that belt aligned. mine too a shim. if the belt is not properly aligned you will see quick wear. it is not always easy. make sure the work is done on the charger mount. TPC knows the ins and out of getting the belt right. they're race car guys. they may use tie straps but Mike knows what he's doing. he's also very fast try and talk him into a ride with you in the passenger seat. btw the box is tied in to the crank sensor they completly remap all the timing and can do it real time on you car. this is a good kit.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Install finished! Feel like I'm driving a beast! (Better pics this time)