Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Install finished! Feel like I'm driving a beast! (Better pics this time)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:17 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh my GAWD....this is downright awesome !!!!

Sachin.....you've got my vote for MOD SQUAD KING of 2004 !!!

Congratulations to the 10th degree Man.....!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:32 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Maybe someone should suggest to TPC that they become a Rennlist sponsor? Then they can freely post information about their products and upgrades here. A quick glance at this forum would demonstrate to them how many potential customers there are here.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to TPC Club, Sachin!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:42 PM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Sachin - looks fantastic! Congratulations, maybe I'll get to see it in person and run into the Chicagoland crew while visiting family this summer.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Sweet monster, Sachin. The install looks impressive!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:53 AM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heater fan gone? Does that mean "No Heat" on cool days?
Old 03-17-2004, 01:23 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

Kevin,
There is heat, just not a lot of it. The fan (main cooling) still diverts about 10 % into the heat exchangers. The electric heater fan helped drive the other 90%. So with that gone you don't get very much at low R.P.M's. It isn't as bad as you would think. It just takes looooonger to get heat (allow more time for defrost)! If you are still in the Detroit area I could show you my install sometime. The greatest feature of the install (besides the boost) is the serpentine belt drive. No more broken "V" belts.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:59 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

dale how long have you had your tpc? what's the pluses and minuses .....and any regrets. give us a review. i guess we in NA land think of it as a poor surrogate for a turbo which i won't deny in a 993 is my ultimate car. but if i can get the boost and not sacrifice the engine and the reliability ..... hmmmmmmmmmmm i would be tempted.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Sachin, you've been driving the car in our crummy and cold Chicago March--how is the heat?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:41 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

Originally posted by dale_loch
Karim,
I had a 95' 993 C2 and had kept losing stop light challenges to cars that were way beneath a Porsche. I know that the Porsche isn't made for that type of racing but I wanted to do something about it. My first Mod was the Joe Fabiani route with mufflers and airbox upgrade. Not enough H.P. but sure made the car sound great. I had my clutch go out so I upgraded to the Light Weight Flywheel and Club Sport clutch. I then blew out my second gear sychchro. So I then went to the upgraded tranny gears 2nd through 6th (Powerhaus II). This improvement dropped almost a full second in the 1/4 mile! I was in love with the new found power. It didn't last long though. I kept blowing my V belts. If one popped off, it almost always took the other two with it. I got sick and tired of this happening. It was because the engine had so much torque and was violently moving through the gears. This was happening about every 500 to 1000 miles. The dealer tried everything from shimming the pulleys to running kevlar belts to suggesting to go with the one pulley setup (drive the fan and alternator together). I wanted to get away from the V belts all together.
I started doing searches on the internet to see if anyone had developed a serpentine belt system. I really wanted to have a belt tensioner to compenstate the torque. That is when I found TPC. I basically bought a $6000 belt tensioner system! I couldn't help myself from driving the car everyday, the dependability was that good. I think I put on around 25,000 miles of daily ABUSE on the car before going into a 97' Targa. The TPC system is VERY dependable. You would have to drive one to truly appreciate the linear power. Words cannot describe the power in the lower gears. The 993 has a very tall injection stack system which is why low end torque is not readily available (along with small displacement). The TPC system has a new intake manifold that is very low and it doesn't take long for power to come on. So in short, the turbo route was an option but didn't work out that way for me. Too much work to convert a N/A 993, plus the costs of upgrading turbo's, wastegates, intercoolers etc.. Don't get me wrong that Turbo's aren't great, it just wasn't a viable option for me at the time. Now I'm hooked on supercharging.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Heat works really well for me. It does take a little bit for it to warm up but no different than a water-cooled car warming up. I used to brag about how quickly I got heat, it's just a bit slower. It does get plenty hot for me.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:59 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Very nice. Glad the long wait is over and you have your car back....
Old 03-17-2004, 03:48 PM
nateweiss
Intermediate

Great install Sachin!

I have a 97 993 Targa with a TPC supercharger kit (installed by TPC). I am having an intercooler installed as we speak (by a local Boston shop - EME) - should have it back by the weekend and I will post some pics. What were you going to do for a cold air intake? I was thinking that I would do the same (partially due to performance and partially to get the air filter out of the water when it rains) - where were you thinking of putting it? No room under my hood!

-Nate
Old 03-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to use the BMC carbon cold air box that Skip sent me. It's big, but the attached picture should give you a good idea.

For now I'm using a carbon pc from a Ducati with the K&N filter. It looks like the following pic...

Old 03-17-2004, 09:17 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sachin,
here is the information you are looking for. I am a Canadian that is interested in getting my stock car dynoed on a four wheel dyno and have this information to share.

The location of the dyno day is The Porsche Exchange at 2300 Skokie Valley Rd, Highland Park, IL 60035. The Porsche dealer has a in the ground AWD dynojet.

Look foward to your results.

Levino

Quick Reply: Supercharger Install finished! Feel like I'm driving a beast! (Better pics this time)