Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Install finished! Feel like I'm driving a beast! (Better pics this time)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 10:10 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

to answer the questions before they come
-'98? C4S
-LA Porsche Dismantlers
-$15k complete
-$10k engine and super charger
-$3k supercharger
-$1k Ruf 19s? one cracked, one badly scratched
-I didn't do it

max
Old 03-15-2004, 11:33 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

That looks really awesome!!! Congrats!!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you're running with the smaller pulley offered by TPC. You should be running about 2 psi more than the other.

The 1st gen pulley was 3.5" the new one is 2.5". If you do have the 2.5" pulley you most likely have 400hp. Mike told me it is supposed to add 20 RWHP.

Congrats on the charger. The install is top notch.

BTW you're the only TPC superchagred car I seen that still retains the smog pump unit. Bravo!

-Steve
Old 03-15-2004, 11:42 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sachin,

Cool project, and beautiful installation. It's nice not to have the intercooler hiding all the engine components. And, the body-colored fan is a great touch.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to think that engine would be a lot of fun, especially in an early roller.
(I ascribe to the practice of letting people see what they're risking when they use their cars, but I think those two photos are just a little too graphic, even with the warning of "horribly" I still didn't expect to see a fatality crash.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sachin -- thanks for the details. This thing warrants the "mother of all DIY" reports. Did you take progress photos? It seems almost too simple. Is the aux injector after the blower? (I presume so) and only the same blowers run sealed bearings (what's the rpm gearing?) but I have an oil-bath twin-screw on a 5.3 engine capable of about 8lb on 10.5:1 naturally aspirated compression ratio and it will run on 91RON (California water) happily but it will ping if you abuse it with wild throttle inputs above 4000rpm (with a 6000rpm limit, which comes in about .02 seconds from 4000rpm in 1st and 2nd with a 5500lb vehicle...)
I think forced induction is great and I think this blower setup looks like a good job. I've heard (and seen one or two) horror stories about various blower setups on the 993 -- done by top calibre mechanics and technicians with no limits to their resources -- so I'm still a little amazed this one has worked so well. Bravo!
The 100hp gain (not forgetting the probably 20-40hp parasitic load of the compressor) is impressive for a high compression engine. Cooling in the 993 is your constant companion, so I suggest you ignore the IC or other incremental projects and get a big Cargraphic aux cooler up front. Second, I'll get some heat shield (not just tin plate, get some serious multi-layer stuff to block all the radiant heat from the blower housing and from that side of the engine.)
I agree with water injection. It's a pain, it's essential to use distilled water and it's a hassle to find someone to carry a gallon or two in small vehicles. The only proviso is to not tune the engine to exploit the colder, denser charge because I've seen it many times -- you'll run out of water, or get a gravity lock or vapor lock and step on it and bang. So go with a water or whatever (methanol, nitrous, all good fun) but don't stretch your luck with more timing once you have a cooler charge. Just my two cents. It's fun to blow up a cheap straight six in a race boat (if you don't sink) but it's no fun to lock up the rears in a 993 when you sieze the engine as you go for 4th at 100mph and let the clutch out.
I'm really keen to see a few dyno runs on this with a/f and cfm readouts.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:17 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Suuweeet!! Ducting and the super charger looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. I like the coated fan too!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:26 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sachin-

That is a beautiful install. Looks like you got hooked up with the right shop to do the work. Congratulations and enjoy.

chuck
Old 03-16-2004, 12:30 AM
KASH '95 993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Sachin, Congrats!!! What I would not do for a ride in that monster. Yor are one lucky dude...BTW, have you thought about a water injection system to help out with charge temp (not expensive and very easy to install)? A WIS would be a great addition for the summer months. Enjoy!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 01:00 AM
cecil
Instructor

nice looking job. it makes mine look rather plain mine still whines fine though
Old 03-16-2004, 01:56 AM
winsome
Instructor

Do you mind telling me the approx weight added on and I presume it doesn't have a intercooler. how does the stock engine and gearbox taking it and what about the reliability side? any comment?

I think its a much better upgrade route compare to 3.8kit etc.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:23 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

Sachin,
Nice install!! I hope you will get a kick back from your installer for future business they will be receiving! Do you like the boost gauge? They did a great job with the bracketry for the air conditioning lines. When you dyno, remove the airconditioning belt for one of your passes. I'm interested to see how much of a drain that "V" belt is. You will need to get a rainshield over that cone filter. Everything gets sucked into that cone filter since the air is forced directly down into it from above. I'm interested in that carbon fiber shield you had posted earlier. To help with some of the questions you are receiving:
1. The stock compression ratio is at static. When the boost is on; it is the same "dynamic" as the twin turbo. The stock engine internals can handle it.
2. The supercharger has it's own oil source and therefore doesn't share with the engine. (no contamination issues)
3. The stock tail can be used for the perfect stealth / sleeper look. Major fabrication has to be done to the decklid as the pulley for the supercharger sticks out too far for the decklid to close. Adjustments to the limit switchs are made to keep the retractable tail from going down onto the pulley when the tail closes below 55 mph.
4. The installation instructions are very minimal from TPC. However, the kit can be installed by the average Rennlister over a long holiday weekend.
5. The weight of the supercharger install (including intake manifold) is close to the stock Varioram setup . The new manifold is very low profile. The stock blower / heater fan is omitted along with the airbox and various other parts.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Sachin,

The wait is finally over. Looks awesome and enjoy. Congrats.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:03 AM
4 Play
Intermediate

Sachin,
It is amazing that the beauty of the install matches the performance! Truly outstanding. May necessitate a trip over to TPC since they are in my neck of the woods.

Congratulations!

Dave

Quick Reply: Supercharger Install finished! Feel like I'm driving a beast! (Better pics this time)