Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

A box stock 993 in the Rolex 24 -- anyone remember?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Thanks for contributing to the memory banks guys.

Maybe I should go browse around in that big box of old race tapes I have in the basement. But it could take days to go throught the years in question.

Cary
96 sounds about right, and I vaguely recall the anncrs talking about the borrowed jack. As I mentioned, it got a lot of coverage for being essentially a back-marker

Martin

I think Zwart ran that car a couple years in a row.
I remember it was for sale at the andial tent at the Monterey Historics in 98.

He has very good PCNA/PAG ties. He's a commercial director (like Michael Schrom) and has produced many of their commercials and films for the NA market over the years.

Greg

Think how beautifully proportioned the 956/962 was and how odd and out of whack these cars look. At least the Porsche Fabcar was one of the better looking ones. Good point is they had a variety of engines.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:41 AM
OTEcupracer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin S
You may still run into that car out there on the left coast from time to time. If I,m not mistaken Paul Fairchild out of Phoeniz bought it from Monte Smith last year and ran it at Pueblos club race. he races it quite a bit down there.
Old 10-08-2023, 11:31 PM
kevinduffy
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The white 993 campaigned the 1995 24 hours ar Daytona. It was the brainchild of Nort Northam of The Nort Northam Collection of Winter Park, near Orlando. Local news made a big deal of it as it was street legal. He drove it to the track from his dealership, raced the entire 24 hours, then drove it home. Nort raced the 24 hours a total of 16 times in a variety of makes and classes.

The car was a 993 Cup. It was entered by Jarrett Freeman. Along with Freeman and Northam, it was also driven by Simon Gregg and Max Schmidt. They completed 553 laps in GT-2 class. They finished 26th overall. Of the 74 entries, 29 were classified as DNF.

Northam also competed in the Sebring 12-hour a dozen times. He has retired from racing, although he did win the national championship in PCA SP2 several years ago as he approached age 70!

now you have the real story.

The following users liked this post:
JRB (10-09-2023)

Quick Reply: A box stock 993 in the Rolex 24 -- anyone remember?