993 Forum 1995-1998

Fuel Smells in the Cabin - Some Good News

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 AM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fuel Smells in the Cabin - Some Good News

Like many other 964 owners, I have been plagued with a subtle but steady fuel odor in the cabin, if the car has been left with the windows up overnight or for more than a couple of hours. It is more noticeable in the summer, but still noticeable in the winter.
I tried the recommended "fixes": (1) new gas cap; (2) new fuel filler neck; and (3) having the carpet in the trunk professionally steam cleaned, all to no avail.

I just tried the other fix, which I heard about here on Rennlist, replacing the charcoal air cannister that connects to the gas tank's breather line.

It's only been a couple of days, but it appears to have worked! I left the car with the windows up for three days, opened the door this morning, and noticed no fuel smell!

I'll report back in a couple of weeks with more definitive results.

In the interim, the information is as follows: charcoal air cannister; located above the left rear wheel; part number #993.201.221.01. My local Porsche dealer charged $56.64 for the part, $127.50 in labor, and $2.54 in tax, for a total of $186.68 (not counting the PCA discount).
Old 12-20-2002, 02:34 PM
jhb
Racer

Reason #1 not to top of during fueling!
Old 08-12-2006, 01:27 AM
shattergard
Racer

curious- did the smell come back? I have the same problem.

thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do I, and the dealer had been unable to solve the problem. Gas cap has been replaced twice. Most noticeable under hard acceleration in lower gears.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:28 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

I have a constant smell in my cabon... I would love to get rid / reduce it but not sure where it is coming from.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:09 PM
shattergard
Racer

My local dealership checked everything and still can`t pinpoint exactly where the cabin smell originates from. ie: pressure checked the gas tank etc etc etc. We changed the carbon can filter thingy just to be safe and still nooooooooooo luck

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:34 AM
blue993
Intermediate

Default Interior cabin smells

Gents. I know this is an old thread but I'm sort of happy in a way to find out that I'm not alone. Did any of you find a long term solutuion to removing unwanted exhaust, gas, musty odors in your 993's? I sent Jim Pasha over at Excellence Magazine that very question and he doesn't feel there's an easy solution - sort of an idiosyncracy that's plagued air-cooled cars. With the cabin so close to a hot rear firewall any oil leak will permeate into the cabin. And others say that the heat makes the adhesives in the cabin smell. I also understand that the front firewall isn't air tight, therefore the spare tire rubber smell can also make it into the cabin. I'd like to know if there's a longer term solution and alternative to Febreze. Thanks

Ed
Old 05-17-2008, 10:52 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

I have had the same problem since purchasing my car last year. It has only happened twice when filling my car with gas. On the first occasion I opened the trunk and let it air out for a few days (pulled fuse #11 to stop interior lights from draining the battery). On the second occasion I pulled out the carpeting and spare tire and actually noticed a little gas in the trunk but could not identify the source of the leak. I cleaned that out and let it air out once again. If I keep the tank no higher than 3/4 full there is no leak or smell.

Just last night I filled the tank again but with the pump handle reversed. This morning no gas smell is noted in the trunk. I will probably try some of the other remedies suggested here and keep my fingerrs crossed. I will definitely replace the fuel filler neck as it does not have that little flapper that originally came with the car. A permanent solution would be great.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:54 PM
blue993
Intermediate

Nice to hear from a fellow Canuck, Bret. I'm hoping J-McDonald will reply - in his last post post awhile ago he replaced a carbon cannister which was helping and was going to update us.

It's a good thing they're such great cars to drive - these things should've been ironed out on what was once a car norh of $80,0000 US new.

Ed
Old 05-17-2008, 08:02 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by blue993
Nice to hear from a fellow Canuck, Bret. I'm hoping J-McDonald will reply - in his last post post awhile ago he replaced a carbon cannister which was helping and was going to update us.

It's a good thing they're such great cars to drive - these things should've been ironed out on what was once a car norh of $80,0000 US new.

Ed
Hey I'm just glad the Germans weren't making such great machines 65 years ago, otherwise none of us would be typing in English LOL.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:42 AM
johnnypiedras
Rennlist Member

have smell in trunk, had it for years, finally putting on a charcoal cannister. I i did read on this site the smell can be contributed to mold.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:25 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem. Reason was loose rubber tube between tank and vapour tank.

-Jaak
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
I had the same problem. Reason was loose rubber tube between tank and vapour tank.

-Jaak
I was going to mention that... I saw a thread the other day on it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Smells in the Cabin - Some Good News