993 Forum 1995-1998

Rolled 911 (maybe 993) pictures from 4 Hr. Tribute Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 10:57 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rolled 911 (maybe 993) pictures from 4 Hr. Tribute Race

Guys, This might be worth checking out if you track your car - I know many of us do. I got it from the Rennlist racing email list. Someone took pictures at this past weekends 4 hour POC Tribute race in CA. It appears that one of the race cars rolled pretty badly, luckily the driver walked away with scratches and a cracked ankle. It looks pretty bad. I cant even tell if its a 993 or not. I guess my point is that reminders like this pop up evey once in a while and should serve to remind us that anytime we are on the track we take a risk. This was a club race, not a supercup race. Luckily the car did its job - must have a pretty strong roll bar system. Plese take safety seriously and check all your safety devices before you go on the track.

Sorry to sound like a parent, but I would hate for anything to happen to any of my Rennlist buddies. I know I am as guilty as the next guy with some things (6 point harness with stock sport seats with no holes).

Here is the link: http://www.nosubstitute.org/events/tribute2June01/

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: E. J. - 95 Carrera - No. Va. ]
Old 06-06-2001, 12:37 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
THe rolled car was, and I say was, a 911 Turbo, not certain of the year. It was driven by Rick Ollila from Big Bear, CA, a long time POC driver, since the late 80's. The "official" version of the incident is not out, yet. It happened in Turn 1 , at the end of the long straight. As you can imagine, this is a passing zone where drivers attempt to late brake each other and gain a position going into 1. For some reason (a nudge/bump from a fellow driver?), Rick left the track at a high rate of speed. In the process the car went airborne and rotated. I turned to see the incident from the "Budweiser Balcony" when Rick's car had completed the last of it's airborne rotations and landed on the roof. Rick got out of the car under his own power..I believe he may have gone to the hospital for observation. The car was towed off the track, upside down and left off to the side of the track for the duration of the race, a grim reminder there can be consequences while driving on the edge.

Rick is a fearless competitor, and he will be back. As a side note, his son was in the pits as a co-driver: Can you imagine how he was feeling.

Quick Reply: Rolled 911 (maybe 993) pictures from 4 Hr. Tribute Race