Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Top Marks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Boxster-pte
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cabriolet Top Marks

Hi, I was out doing some work on my 96 C2 Cabrio today, and I noticed that there are marks in the roof, just above the door. Look like a place where the roof assembly has been pressing. It's not punctured (fortunately).

The only change I have had recently is that the Cabrio check light came on. The front motors work, so I put it into manual mode by loosening the two bolts in the rear passenger area.

Does anyone have a way to solve this?

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2020, 03:26 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

super common on 993 cab tops. they all do it. there are a few things you can do and the sooner the better. when the top is folded backwards be sure to force the internal brace in the middle of the roof rearwards as it folds (there are internal elastic bands for this but over time they weaken). Also don't leave the car stored with the top down. finally the best thing I did was reach inside the layers of fabric where the wear marks are and glue a small piece of black leather to serve as a wear pad underneath the outer fabric. after 15 years my top still looks good.

good luck
Old 02-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Boxster-pte
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Stace, that all sounds like great advice. I'll take a look at that internal brace.

A new roof was put on by the PO not long ago. Maybe they didn't replace those elastics when they were in there.

Also, what size was the leather piece you inserted on each side?
Old 02-12-2020, 06:27 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

probably 1 in. by 2 in. not very big.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:19 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 205 Posts

Cabriolet tops..... Whenever a top is replaced, the elastic must be replaced. Since top replacement is generally once every ten (10) to fifteen (15) years, replace the headliner and cables.
Only use Genuine Porsche cables.

I really like the idea of affixing leather to the underside of the top as described. Great idea! Thanks for a great idea.

I hope my information helps.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Top Marks