Sponsored by:

Looking for a 1997 ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 05:47 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
So, if you have money to burn and want more power, maybe 993 Turbo?

Yes, to each his own. Not sure if its judging to pass on knowledge about why piggy backing a '96 ECU isn't the best possible choice and could wind up giving you headaches, but hey, if you have money to burn, then a '97 ECU is the easy choice. Money can minimize headaches, or at least it should...right?
everyone is entitled to spend their money, however they choose. If I had Bezos type of coin, i'd have a fleet of Singers and Rufs....

Personally I went with a 97 ECU for my application (RS Cams and some stalling issues) All was fixed with Weiner flashed ECU, so the choice between spending the money and fixing the problems, vs saving the money and having issues is straight forward. I am happy I spent the money to get my 993 running right.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:30 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kika
to each his or her own. I find it particularly interesting that anyone thinks they understands someone else's value of something.

when my son was playing baseball, there was another kid whose dad got him a new composite bat. These are 10 year olds, and honestly, the kid wasn't the best player on the team, and that bat cost over $300. I was astounded to say the least. another dad asked me if I knew what that kid's dad did for a living, to which I replied, no. Well, turns out, his dad is/was a Hedge Fund Manager, cleared over half a mil a month, easy. so $300 for a bat is like me buying a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

another example, I used to see one of the dad's down at the field, he was always sweeping, cleaning the field etc... wore shorts, and a big straw hat, all the time. He was always at the field watching games, cleaning stuff, I knew he lived in the area, and knew his son used to play, but was too old to play. I though he was unemployed. Well, turns out that was correct, HOWEVER, his family used to own Mimi's Cafe. They sold it for over $100M, so yeah, he didn't need to work anymore, and his thing was supporting kid's baseball.

another: Friend of mine went to a dog rescue up in Santa Barbara, guy that ran the place has a fantastic piece of land over looking the ocean, lets the dogs run around, just sort of hangs out taking care of dogs. Turns out, he is one of the original creators of "The Simpson's" Been collecting royalty checks for a long time, and pretty big ones from the looks of it. Loves dogs, and has put most of his money into caring for them. I think it is fantastic, guy made money, and now does what he loves.

The point is, what may seem like a decent amount of money to one person, may be ABSOLUTELY trivial to someone else. so when someone says they like or love the mod they did to their car, I trust them. Doesn't mean it is for me, but I cannot and should not judge them for it. The value is for me to decide if it is of value to me, not for me to determine or comment on value to someone else.

off my soapbox now, carry one gentlemen and women.
Well said. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em
Old 02-12-2020, 09:03 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
...piggy backing a '96 ECU isn't the best possible choice and could wind up giving you headaches
Respectfully disagree. As do the other people on here who have done it. If I had a 97, I would get a tune. As I don't and have a 96 then having a daughter-board added by Todd at Protomotive is a solid alternative. Point is plenty of people on here claim it is impossible and or will lead to certain doom... just repeating what they read on other threads.