Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 11:49 AM
Carlos
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

DJ, Go to the races sometime. That funny smell is VP16 or some other racing gasoline.

Here's a tip to avoid tickets. Drive in close proximity to Rick from Portland. While the police are tending to his upside down, smoking 996 (from driving at tripple the speed limit), you can cruise on by.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:10 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Wink

Hey Carlos,

OK, VP16 sounds familiar now, but I think that maybe it's not as popular out here as some other brands.

As to driving in close proximity to Rick (btw, it was a 993TT), I've tried that, but I always end up in front.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:11 PM
Pete.
Banned

Originally posted by chadrh:
<STRONG>Not trying to join in the flame war, but curious about something.

Is this the same Pete who has been posting on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board claiming that TracQuest has an unsafe track record with "more than it's share of serious crashes" and questioning it's instruction policy?

Another quote: "My point, which you seem to have missed, is that "safety" does not appear to be stressed as much at Tracquest events as at other events that I have attended."

Clearly a troll, here and in other forums. Go away little man.</STRONG>
Yes Chad, I am the same Pete.

You just need to compare the my email addresses. I'm hardly anonymous.

It's really not that hard.

Regarding my comparison between Tracquest and other organizers, my opinion stands.

IMO, there are other organizers who run a safer event, and who don't have the same serious crash history.

Pete

p.s. Your attempt at being a wannabe moderator is funny, yet unoriginal (Just reread this thread).

p.p.s. I guess you must still be smarting after you made your inaccurate claims vis-a-vis the wrecked Boxster at Willow Springs that, according to you, didn't suffer any damge. Funny stuff. Thanks.

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Pete ]
Old 06-07-2001, 01:40 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

DJ,

You said:

"As to driving in close proximity to Rick (btw, it was a 993TT), I've tried that, but I always end up in front."

Now, That's funny!

Rick
Old 06-07-2001, 01:52 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

DJ,

I think you are confused. When you spin and are driving backwards, it only looks like you are in front.

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Mark D - 993TT ]
Old 06-07-2001, 01:54 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,

I think DJ gets easily confused

How are those new turbos working out? How do you like them?

Rick

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Rick in Portland ]
Old 06-07-2001, 02:08 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Talking

Originally posted by Mark D - 993TT:
<STRONG>When you spin and are driving backwards, it only looks like you are in front.
</STRONG>
I'll do whatever it takes.
Old 06-07-2001, 02:15 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DJ - You are a sick puppy - That is why I like you so much.

Rick - The new Turbos are great. I should have the updated electronics and fuel pressure regulator in a day or two. Also, I am going to try the Pagid Sport pads that you had good things to say about.
Old 06-07-2001, 04:13 PM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

Originally posted by Pete:
<STRONG>

I guess you must still be smarting after you made your inaccurate claims vis-a-vis the wrecked Boxster at Willow Springs that, according to you, didn't suffer any damge. Funny stuff. Thanks.

</STRONG>

Actually no, you may have noticed that I responded by admitting I was in error. Not a hard thing for me to do, happens all the time. I don't even "smart" from it. Trust me when I tell you that far better men than you have pointed out mistakes on my part.

Chad

P.S. My apologies to the board members for this. Rest assured I have nothing more to say to Pete, or any more comments on this matter.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:19 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Pete:
<STRONG>

Ah, the old "tag team" ploy. DJ's buddy comes to his rescue after he scampers away. Very good, if unoriginal.

A question for you Viken:

Who is forcing you to read my posts?

If my posts upset you so much, just move on down the page.

It's really quite simple.

Good luck.

Pete</STRONG>
Notice I didn't accuse you of anything and I only suggested that you move your debate into a private means such as e-mail. Instead of doing so, you decide that I am part of a ploy and suggest that I move away from your worthless posts. That, to me, is nothing more than a provocation which is something you always were good at. However, instead of calling you names or take the bait, I once again suggest that you move your personal debate with DJ somewhere outside the subject of Porsche and/or the 993. Better yet, away from precious Rennlist servers which are dearly paid for by some members.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:34 PM
Pete.
Banned

Originally posted by Viken Bedrossian:
<STRONG>

Notice I didn't accuse you of anything and I only suggested that you move your debate into a private means such as e-mail. Instead of doing so, you decide that I am part of a ploy and suggest that I move away from your worthless posts. That, to me, is nothing more than a provocation which is something you always were good at. However, instead of calling you names or take the bait, I once again suggest that you move your personal debate with DJ somewhere outside the subject of Porsche and/or the 993. Better yet, away from precious Rennlist servers which are dearly paid for by some members.</STRONG>
Two points for you:

#1. My discussions with DJ certainly centered around Porsches and they stopped once DJ stopped responding (that is, until you decided to drag it up again)

#2. If you think that my little bits of text are somehow having any appreciable impact upon the cost of hosting rennlist (via "excess" bandwidth, etc.) then you don't understand web economics very well. IN short, it's aspecious argument.

Again, if you don't like my posts, who is forcing you to read them?

Cheers.

Pete
Old 06-07-2001, 07:51 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Red face

Incredible, this subject gets on the board and I get pulled over! Yesterday evening on my home (a 7 mile commute on city roads). I briskly accelerated on a straight low traffic road and a policecar comes around two cars behind me lights blazing and really tromping on the throttle! Thing is that I had only "briskly" accelerated to 3rd gear and cruised from then on so that he has to stand on the brakes to keep from running into me! I pulled right over (I don't want to be a feature on America's most gruesome car chases) and the usual routine ensues; Hello officer, how fast were you going, I don't know, etc. etc. I did say that I was going home from work and that I was on "autopilot" and not consciously speeding. He said I was going "at least 65" and that the road limit was 40. I said that I had thought it was 50, which was true, I did think it was 50. He inspected my drivers license but did not go back to his car. He said he wasn't going to ticket me this time and to keep an eye on my speed. He said that he could understand how having a car such as this could lead to speeding it up a little, complimented me on it, and then waved me off.

I think that he saw me accelerate, figured I was going to keep leaning on the skinny pedal right on up to and through the sonic barrier and was embarrased when he nearly over ran me. Maybe.

Now the story has a denoument. He walks back to his car and I replace my wallet and drivers license and pull slowly away from the curb as he does. You know it's a nervouse moment for me because I don't want to make our moment of acquaintance any more official. We have about 200 feet to a major intersection (Warner Blvd.) and just as I'm approaching, two young guys having fun dash across the street right in front of me, causing the driver immediately in front of me to take evasive action. The policeman nearly runs over the fellow following! He immediately stops his car and motions the two guys to the curb. The look on thier two faces when the saw the police car as they were running across the street and dodging cars was pricless, must of looked like mine when I saw the car with lights going pulling up behind me.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:40 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Exclamation

Someone advised me to check this thread because of disparaging comments that were made by Pete Fagerlin about TracQuest, my high speed DE school, both in this thread and on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board (which I don't frequent, other than to make an occasional announcment post). I have no desire to get into the middle of the flame war, but I am going to correct misstatements about TracQuest when I see them.

From what I can gather, Pete Fagerlin has said, on Porsche Pete's, and confirmed by him here, that there have been a lot of serious crashes at TracQuest events, and that TracQuest is not as safety conscious as other groups. This is absolutely incorrect.

I have run 24 high speed DE events over the last 8 years at tracks in California, Nevada and most recently, Watkins Glen in New York. In all of that time, there have only been 2 "serious" crashes. One was at Buttonwillow several years ago, when a 3rd gen RX-7 hit a wall and was totalled. The other was at Watkins Glen two weeks ago, when a Boxster S hit the Armco (guardrail) hard and bounced off. The damage estimate on the Boxster S, btw, is $18k. No one was hurt in either incident; indeed there have never been any injuries at any TracQuest event, other than perhaps some egos. :-)

There have been some "incidents" that I would not call "serious." At Buttonwillow one time, an NSX tapped a tire wall and dented a rear fender. At Willow Springs, one Boxster wound up straddling FIA curbing and did some damage to its underbelly. At a different event, another Boxster (mentioned in this thread) went off on the inside of Turn 3 and hit something lightly. At Buttonwillow, a car drove over some apex curbing and damaged its oil pan. At Watkins Glen, a Subaru Impreza lost its brakes at the end of the front straight at 100 mph, went through a gravel trap, and struck a styrofoam block at about 15 mph, doing about $2000 in damage to its front end (he continued to run the rest of the event and drove the car over 400 miles home). I would not consider any of these events to be "serious crashes."

Pete Fagerlin was at the TracQuest event at Laguna Seca. Almost 100 cars ran for two days and not one car was damaged (I'm excluding mechanical problems, such as the car that lost its clutch and had to be towed out on a flatbed as a result). Laguna Seca is known for being a very unforgiving track. Clubs routinely have cars trashed at Laguna Seca, and don't even apologize for it. Moreover, each of the crews at Laguna Seca and Watkins Glen (another unforgiving track notorious for trashing cars) told me the respective TracQuest events there were among the safest, best run events they had ever seen.

In short, I defy any organization to match my safety record. As an aside, I recently heard of a representative of one marque based club (which shall remain nameless) bragging about the fact that "only" 3 cars were trashed at a particular DE event, and one didn't really count because it was a not the club's marque!

To Pete: if you were dissatisfied in any way with your experience at Laguna Seca, I'm certainly not aware of it, as I never had any contact from you after the event. Indeed, every single person I spoke to or heard from afterward said it was one of the best, most well run, safest events they had ever attended, including some TracQuest first-timers who have attended numerous other clubs' events.

In conclusion, Pete, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to misstate facts. If you don't like me for some reason, then that's fine. However, saying that there are lots of crashes, serious or otherwise, at TracQuest events is a misstatement of fact that could cause TracQuest serious damage. And if you do state an opinion, make sure you have the facts behind it to back it up.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:31 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark D - 993TT:
[QB]DJ - You are a sick puppy - That is why I like you so much.

DJ,

You may be a "sick puppy", but you're one honest and entertaining sick puppy and I hope to meet you one day (maybe on the track instead of the street!).
Old 06-08-2001, 01:08 AM
Pete.
Banned

Originally posted by Todd Serota [TracQuest]:
<STRONG>&lt;snip&gt;

In conclusion, Pete, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to misstate facts. If you don't like me for some reason, then that's fine. However, saying that there are lots of crashes, serious or otherwise, at TracQuest events is a misstatement of fact that could cause TracQuest serious damage. And if you do state an opinion, make sure you have the facts behind it to back it up.</STRONG>
Todd, that is an interesting statement you made. It could even be construed as a threat. I think you would be hard-pressed to substantiate your "damage" claims counselor.....

I would suggest that you reread both threads.

My comments are based upon my experiences at your school, and others, and the reports of serious vehicle damage from your recent events at Willow Springs and Watkins Glen.

Are you disputing the fact that a Boxster was seriously damaged while you were instructing at Watkins Glen?

I am amazed that you brush off the damage to the Boxster that kissed the wall at Willow Springs as not "serious" given the amount of damage that it sustained:

"Initial inspection shows a bent rear axle, trailing control arm, and other suspension parts in the rear (I can't remember all of the specifics right now). Also, and obviously, it needs an alignment. Of course, there's body work & rims to replace as well. The rims weren't bent, just scratched like crazy."

And finally, my opinion is indeed backed up with facts, such as those above, as well as my experiences at various DE events.

You choose to run your schools one way and others choose to run their schools in a different manner.

Isn't a free market great?

Pete

Quick Reply: More likely to get a speeding ticket in a 911...?