Trials and Tribulations of Hood Shock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:40 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trials and Tribulations of Hood Shock Replacement

Okay, headed out to the post office this morning and low and behold... my magic bag of parts came in that I ordered last week.

First was to replace the switchblade key w/ the lighted key end as per Robin's DIY page. That was no problem except the part about tapping the key so the lock pin would fall out. After much banging on the table, liberal amounts of WD-40 and some choice words, it finally came out. It's so nice not to have to use the switchblade.

Second order of business was to install some new hood shocks. Okay, I admit it. I thought this was going to be easier than it really turned out to be. When I tried to remove the air cleaner box cover I ran into my first problem. Some "genius" who worked on the car lost the clip that was suposed to be there decided to use a screw to keep the cover on! Anyone know the part # for these clips? GRRRR....

After much twisting, turning and getting into positions that must have looked like I was trying to mount the Porsche from behind, doggy style, to any neighbor watching me, I finally got both struts in. Porsche designers are one sick, masochistic bunch of puppies.

End result? I couldn't believe how strong these struts are. The hood now stands at attention and requires much force to push down to it's locking position. I like it.

I wimped out and didn't do the fronts as the struts still hold the trunk lid up w/o letting it fall. Hard to imagine I did the "easy" side. Can just imagine how difficult it's gonna be when time comes to change the fronts.

Anyway.. pic of the screw job. Anyone know the part # for the missing clip?
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2004, 11:41 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

from the top...
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2004, 11:43 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

my handy hawaiian helper holding the hood up when doing the first strut
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2004, 12:02 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

i am pretty sure that the part number is:

993 110 116 00 about $2.50

although there is another clamp around the back:

993 110 116 01 about $4.00

i'll PM you a diagram and you can determine which one it is for sure.

max
Old 02-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam Kelly
You sure have been busy!!!
Old 02-22-2004, 12:50 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Phil McGrath
Dam Kelly
You sure have been busy!!!
Phil,

new guy on the block w/ lots of catching up to do to make the car sound. Steep learning curve, but I'm enjoying this for now and suppose that's all that matters. We'll see a few months from now how much enthusiasm I have for working on the car.

max- diagram would be great. there's another clamp out back? I hope you mean at the bottom of the cover and not towards the firewall. I found no clamp towards the firewall.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:50 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Kelly have you driven it yet?? Or you just doing DIY's??
YOU GO GUY!!
you are DA MAN!!
way to get your hands dirty!!
Old 02-22-2004, 01:05 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Drive it? We're supposed to drive these things? DOH!! I thought these were perpetual hobby machines.

BTW, Einstein must have been a Porsche apprentice mechanic before quitting to find an easier job in Physics.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:32 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front hood shocks are *way* easier than the rear (took about 15 minutes). Just be sure to jam a rag or something in the hole next to the shock so the retaining clips for the top of the shock don't fall down out of sight in the fender. Ask me how I know....

-Chris
Old 02-22-2004, 12:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The magnet on a telescoping stick is your best friend for this job!

Have fun with your new to you car! Bummer about the self-tapper in the airbox. If thats the only thing you find wrong, you'll be just fine!!
Old 02-22-2004, 03:45 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I ended up using a bicycle spoke slightly bent and duct tape to retrieve non-metallic parts that fell into the abyss during the front shock replacement.

Have yet to replace the rears, still waiting for the skin graft on my knuckles to take from doing the fronts...
Old 02-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you pop the clips on the lower part of the struts that keep the front hatch/trunk open?? I took a look down their after finishing the engine lid struts and cannot believe how tough it looks to get at these.
Steve
Old 02-22-2004, 04:05 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris- that's good to hear the fronts are a bit easier. From what I read on Robin's page, it scared me enough to not even attempt it. After looking at the bottom of the shock waaaayyy down there in the front, I could see me dropping the clip and never, ever finding it again. Thanks for the tip on jamming a cloth to catch errant parts as I did the same thing when doing the back.

chris walrod- "The magnet on a telescoping stick is your best friend for this job!" You know, I had one out when doing the back and I think the car knew I had it available, so it never gave me a hard time with dropped parts. I wasn't feeling that lucky about the fronts, though.

About that screw... yeah, it is a bummer when people do things like that. To make it worse, I think it was done at the PPI just prior to me buying the car. To add insult to injury, I was the one who selected these guys to do the PPI.

grouchy- The backs are kind of a pain cause you gotta reach way back there and it's a touchy, feely type of deal. Biggest problem I had was lining up the new shock eye with the pin that had to be slid in there. I made up my special Porsche hood shock installation tool to keep the eye inline with the pivot hole while I struggled to get the pin through. BTW, I have a number of high res pics of the rear shock install that might help, if you like.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2004, 05:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally posted by max911
i am pretty sure that the part number is:

993 110 116 00 about $2.50

although there is another clamp around the back:

993 110 116 01 about $4.00

i'll PM you a diagram and you can determine which one it is for sure.

max
I looked at the PET diagram and just want to confirm Max's numbers. Since I'm also missing the smaller front clamp, I'll include one in my order from Sunset even though it doesn't seem to affect anything.
Thanks, Max!
PS. Stranegely enough, PET doesn't recognise that part # when you try to search.
PPS. How do you capture a PET diagram if you want to send it to somebody?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:53 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

How do you capture a PET diagram if you want to send it to somebody?
if there is anything on your monitor's screen that you want to save an image of, click the "print screen" key on your keyboard:

it basically does a 'copy' of what ever pixels are on your monitor at the time.
Then you will have to paste that into some sort of program that will handle a graphic image. MS Paint, MS Picture It, Paintshop, Photoshop, etc. etc..
Then attach the image as a jpeg etc. to your email or PM

max

Quick Reply: Trials and Tribulations of Hood Shock Replacement