OT: Gullwing Motor Cars LIC, NY

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
Question OT: Gullwing Motor Cars LIC, NY

Any experience with this crew? They seem to specialize in the restoration / repair /"light cosmetics" realm...and I'm looking in that category right now for a project.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:56 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, but they're not too far from me. I've been tempted often to go have a look around, but haven't gotten around to it. Let me know if I can help.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:33 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to look at a 911SC there, looked good in the photos... total POS in person. also i dont know where they take the photos of their cars but it sure as hell isnt where i went to view/test drive the car...

Pretty much every car there looked a little beaten plus it is a used car dealer in queens so trust them as far as you can throw them.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked at a really scary 66 Alfa Duetto there once, ran away and never went back.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

I talked to them about a 993 Cab they had advertised. Couldn't keep their story straight
and I got a really bad feeling just over the phone. They just seemed...Weird.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Guys, since this seems to be the right crew geographically, does anyone have experience with Parcars in New Rochelle or Luxury Motors in Wallingford CT? Thanks from rainy Northern CA.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Par is a quality outfit. They sell cars on consignment, which means they can be a tad pricey...

Don't know about Luxury Motors though.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:20 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Dr. No,

My personal experience with ParCars was negative. I found them to be extremely arrogant and of no help at all two years ago when looking for a '97 or '98 993. They would not answer the simplest questions, would not provide service data on the cars, and you were not allowed to talk to the PO (on a consigned car !!). IMO you should avoid them, especially at 3,000 miles distance.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 911SC from PAR almost 10 years ago. I got a truly superb 39,000 mile original car. However, they generally have some very nice cars and some not very nice cars. I've looked at several cars there over the years. Sometimes they'll tell me exactly what is wrong with a car on the phone. Other times, however, they'll tell me something like "as far as we know there has been no paintwork done." Then I go see the car and immediately see, among other things, overspray on the window trim, for example. When I point this out, they say something like, "yeah, sorry, hadn't noticed that..." Paul, the owner, has been in the business for a very long time, and I'm sure he's quite knowledgeable. I don't think he's lying when he says he doesn't know about the paintwork for two reasons: 1) he has told me about various problems with cars, so why would he choose to be forthcoming sometimes and not other times? 2) he has a LOT of cars, and he owns none of them -- they're all on consignment -- so I think he just doesn't take a good look at some of them. When he says he doesn't know of any paintwork, I think that's probably true. The problem is that I think (and hope) he hasn't gotten around to actually looking at the car yet. Obviously, he should look at a car first.

So: Be quite careful -- you can get a great car from PAR, but you can also get a poor car.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:27 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Although I didn't buy from them, my experience with PAR was positive. If you are considering one of their cars I would recommend a PPI at Rennwerke from Cheech.

Al

Quick Reply: OT: Gullwing Motor Cars LIC, NY