Alarm key fob program problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:34 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Alarm key fob program problem.

1996 C4S 36k miles.

I have two keys and fobs, of which only one of the fobs work.

The car unlocks and locks as expected and starts every time as long as you don't let it sit for long enough for the immobilizer to engage. All normal.

The LED's in the doors blink as expected, initially fast and then slow if everything is buttoned up, double blinks if the frunk is open a crack for the trickle charger.

I went to my local Porsche dealer and got the code to program the other fob.

When I unlock, lock, unlock the car with the key to start the procedure I get the initial horn honk on the first unlock BUT.....

..on the second unlock the hazard lights blink for a few seconds and then the alarms goes off. I can only turn off the alarm with the fob.

I am also not getting the immobilizer light in the clock so I can't program the other remote. This is true regardless of whether i open the doors with the key or the fob.

There is a bulb missing from the frunk which I ordered and the rear deck doesn't seem to have a light at all as it's been modified for an aftermarket wing which I'm currently replacing. The OEM turbo S wing that will go in it's place also doesn't have a light. Maybe the light is in the car and not on the deck, must dig around a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

G
Old 06-11-2019, 01:52 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Your issues are exactly as you suspect. You have open grounds in the frunk and the missing engine bay light.

On the same circuit, are the interior lights, the door micro switches, glove box, and clutch micro switches.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:54 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

With the light not present in the engine bay, how do I get fix this issue? Bulb in the frunk is easy!

G
Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
When I unlock, lock, unlock the car with the key to start the procedure I get the initial horn honk on the first unlock BUT.....

..on the second unlock the hazard lights blink for a few seconds and then the alarms goes off.
Since you have a working fob you should begin the procedure using the initial procedure listed for when you have a working fob and not use the metal key in the door to begin the procedure.
See attached.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Even if I open my door with the fob, I still don't get an immobilizer light in the clock even though the alarm appears to be working so I can't even start the procedure.

G
Old 06-11-2019, 02:17 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Even if I open my door with the fob, I still don't get an immobilizer light in the clock even though the alarm appears to be working so I can't even start the procedure.

G
When you initially turn the key in the ignition when normally starting the engine all the lights including the one with the switchblade fob symbol on it should illuminate momentarily. Does this happen?

If it doesn't then the little bulb is blown out or its socket needs cleaning or in some cases the clock needs to be pulled out, opened up and the solder joints on the circuit board in the clock need to be reheated as a solder joint has come loose, This is a known issue and a kitchen table DIY project involving a soldering iron to fix.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:50 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

The sheet says unlock the cars with the fob and sit in it with the door closed. Does the alarm not turn on and the doors lock after 2 minutes or is that not the case when the key is in the car?

G
Old 06-11-2019, 09:05 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

, how do I get fix this issue?

G
Can you find the connector to the harness? Hopefully they didn't cut it off
then from the wiring diagrams figure out how to terminate the harness correctly - probably shorting pins
you can get a new mating connector from PET
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

FWIW, one of my previous 993s was a C4S with an aftermarket Turbo S fixed wing ( no light). The original connector to the original deck lid was simply disconnected with no pins jumped regarding the missing light. The immobilizer worked as normal. I then replaced the fixed wing with the original motorized decklid, and the connectors were reattached. No issues.

BTW if you currently have a fixed wing, is the spoiler module under glovebox disconnected?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:15 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

G.

Posted a couple photos of my engine lid light to your other post.

Glenn
Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

The sheet says unlock the cars with the fob and sit in it with the door closed. Does the alarm not turn on and the doors lock after 2 minutes or is that not the case when the key is in the car?

G
The "automatic lock after 2 minutes" only happens if the door isn't opened following the FOB unlock. It's designed that way to prevent locking the key in the car.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay777
The "automatic lock after 2 minutes" only happens if the door isn't opened following the FOB unlock. It's designed that way to prevent locking the key in the car.
Excellent!

G
Old 06-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

BTW, a few months back I also had difficulty programming a second FOB. My immobilizer light worked ok, it just didn't flash the way it was supposed to during programming procedure. I discovered this after viewing a video that ECU Docs posted of the procedure where you could see the immobilizer light in the background. I ended up sending the immobilizer and FOBS to ECU Docs to program, which they did.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I am also not getting the immobilizer light in the clock so I can't program the other remote. This is true regardless of whether i open the doors with the key or the fob.
Did you check that pin 7 on the immobilizer has 12V from the buzzer contact on the ignition switch?
Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Did you check that pin 7 on the immobilizer has 12V from the buzzer contact on the ignition switch?
If it comes to this I'm doomed as I don't know what any of it means. Hopefully it's the missing bulbs on the rear deck or frunk lid or a burnt out immobilizer bulb in the clock!

Know soon.

G

Quick Reply: Alarm key fob program problem.