993 Forum 1995-1998

Leatherique update

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Leatherique update

So yesterday after completing the pristine clean I thought the seats were looking good. They were a bit tacky, but dramatically improved. 24 hours later they seem to have improved another 50%. The tackiness is gone, the uneven sheen is gone and the seats look very respectable and I'm very happy with the outcome. Going to try to post a few pics....

Old 06-11-2019, 09:39 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 512 Posts

Looks great!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:42 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Originally Posted by RudyP
Looks great!
Thanks. The outside seat bolsters on both driver and passenger sides still need work, but I can work on those and hopefully get additional improvement. I'm going to go ahead and start working on the doors and dashboard.

The rear decklid where the back speakers are has been messed with and needs to be replaced. Need to figure out who can do the right thing for me back there.

The paperwork i was given at purchase shows the radio radio being completely refurbished and stereo functioning perfectly (with expensive receipts ) 100 miles before I took possession of the car. Now all I get when I turn the radio on is a buzz. I get the feeling the guy who sold me the car (not the owner) did something underhanded.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:46 AM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks good. Any before pictures?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aircooledpurist
The paperwork i was given at purchase shows the radio radio being completely refurbished and stereo functioning perfectly (with expensive receipts ) 100 miles before I took possession of the car. Now all I get when I turn the radio on is a buzz. I get the feeling the guy who sold me the car (not the owner) did something underhanded.
That's a bummer... IIRC you bought the car from a place in La Jolla (where I live). Hope you get it sorted.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:26 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

That's a bummer... IIRC you bought the car from a place in La Jolla (where I live). Hope you get it sorted.
Grand Prix Classics on LaJolla Blvd. Still wrestling with him. Once done I'll post the story. The car is nice but Mark is very dishonest. Put it this way. We talked twice a day for a month when I was buying the car. He has not once taken a phone call from me since the day I took delivery on the opposite side of the country.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:33 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Originally Posted by rg0115
Looks good. Any before pictures?
I did not take before shots unfortunately, but I was trying to decide if I was going to have them recovered or dyed. After the treatment I think they are very acceptable. Not perfect, but passable.

Its funny. When you buy a car new the wear, dings, scuffs, dirt.... is your own. Doesn't bother me as much. But some previous owners scuff or ding just HAS to go.

Im thankful for the old gent that drove the car 600 miles a year saving it for me. All in all if it had been in MY garage for the last 25 years I'm sure the kids or whoever would have done something to it, spilled coffee or dumped ice cream lol. It would have had a LOT more miles as well.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Looking good. Big fan of Leatherique. Sorry to hear about your dealer woes.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 PM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Originally Posted by waizone
Looking good. Big fan of Leatherique. Sorry to hear about your dealer woes.
I'm really not worrying about the dealer. What's important about the car is in perfect shape. A few cosmetic things on the outside weren't disclosed and the radio was supposed to be all set and it is obviously not. I can deal with sorting those things out. Car runs and drives as new. I paid for the car with a bank check. The title was supposed to be overnighted the next day. It took three weeks. That's just the kind of unprofessional behavior I wasn't expecting.

I love the car. I'm enjoying getting it sorted out. I hope it continues to treat me right.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ good that the major parts of car is good and only little thing you have to wrestle with selling dealer.
for anyone buying used cars, before you send money, I always ask for a copy of the title.
make sure no lien holder and the seller's name is on the title
I will only wire money to an account with the name on the title unless I personally know the seller
A LOT OF DEALERS DO NOT HAVE CASH FLOW
the do not own the car they sell, YOU BE VERY SURPRISED.
you send money, they paid for the car, then send you title after it shows up.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:03 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

mooty is right. I only buy new cars from
dealers. Used cars, buy the seller. Bag of cash in person if need be.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
mooty is right. I only buy new cars from
dealers. Used cars, buy the seller. Bag of cash in person if need be.
Agree. There's very little value add to a dealer on a car like a 993. CPO used I buy from dealer. But beyond that I'd rather buy the seller esp. on an old car like 993.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Looks good, fine job!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:44 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aircooledpurist
Grand Prix Classics on LaJolla Blvd. Still wrestling with him. Once done I'll post the story. The car is nice but Mark is very dishonest. Put it this way. We talked twice a day for a month when I was buying the car. He has not once taken a phone call from me since the day I took delivery on the opposite side of the country.
That's too bad. I have zero relationship to them - have never been in there but I walk by there frequently and while the showroom is pretty tiny they tend to have some cool stuff. Recently there were a couple 356s, a 993, a Carrera GT, a Ferrari 308 and and old F1 or Indy race car. I think it is by appointment only so it's never open when I walk by.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 PM
aircooledpurist
Pro

That's too bad. I have zero relationship to them - have never been in there but I walk by there frequently and while the showroom is pretty tiny they tend to have some cool stuff. Recently there were a couple 356s, a 993, a Carrera GT, a Ferrari 308 and and old F1 or Indy race car. I think it is by appointment only so it's never open when I walk by.
Were re heading out for a couple of weeks the end of July. Staying at the Tory Pines Lodge. I'm going to drop in on Mark and say hello. Need my black bean soup fix at George's.

Quick Reply: Leatherique update