CONVERTIBLE TOP DRIVE AND LINK ARM

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 04:00 PM
territory145
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CONVERTIBLE TOP DRIVE AND LINK ARM

Good afternoon all,
A few days ago I had trouble raising the convertible top on my 1998 cab.
It seemed to be going up unevenly, the drivers side first follwed by the passenger side.
I was able to lock it to the windshield and then this morning take a look at it.
Could the link arm assembly that takes it down, be bending the wrong way?
Right now the assembly comes to the front of the car and pulls the carpeted side cover with the speaker in it out of the door channel?
The link arm assembly doesn't seems to fit in the opening between the rear fender and the speaker carpeted side cover?
Does anyone have any pictures of the correct assembly for this?
Right now I'm able to put the top up and down manually, but I really would like the motor to do the work.
Please help if you can.
Thanks,
Mitch in NY
Old 06-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by territory145
Good afternoon all,
A few days ago I had trouble raising the convertible top on my 1998 cab.
It seemed to be going up unevenly, the drivers side first follwed by the passenger side.
I was able to lock it to the windshield and then this morning take a look at it.
Could the link arm assembly that takes it down, be bending the wrong way?
Right now the assembly comes to the front of the car and pulls the carpeted side cover with the speaker in it out of the door channel?
The link arm assembly doesn't seems to fit in the opening between the rear fender and the speaker carpeted side cover?
Does anyone have any pictures of the correct assembly for this?
Right now I'm able to put the top up and down manually, but I really would like the motor to do the work.
Please help if you can.
Thanks,
Mitch in NY
Mitch,

You probably have a bad drive cable which would account for your top raising and lowering unevenly. Assuming that you have one (1) bad drive cable, replace both and only with factory Porsche drive cables. Porsche cables are more expensive but a must. Your new drive cables must synchronized in order for your top to raise and lower evenly.
This work must be done by a convertible top shop that has experience with Porsche convertible tops and is reputable. Check references. Do not bring your car to Porsche for your top repair.
Also, even if only one (1) drive cable is bad, always replace both cables. This is not a job that you want to do twice.
Leave your convertible top either up or down in the interim to minimize damaging your convertible top frame.
Let me know how you make out.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 PM
territory145
Racer

Default convertible top

Thanks Twilightblue28A, I have an indy shop that does all of my work, I'll have them take a look at it.
Any reason why I can lower it now manually?
Mitch
Old 06-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Did you release the bolts in the passenger's and driver's side rear?
I do not know your independent shop and I am not writing anything negative about their expertise.
The cabriolet top is to be repaired by a specialty shop that has much experience with Porsche convertible tops. The top has drive cables, motors, gears, all of which must be fully synchronized in order to get a positive result.
I collect and also authenticate Oldsmobile 442 convertibles. The convertible tops on 442's and most other cars are hydraulically operated and not cable operated with motors, all of which need to be synchronized perfectly on a 993 cabriolet.
If your top is not repaired correctly, you can tear or puncture your top, or worse, damage your convertible top frame. You will have difficulty finding replacement frame components.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:41 PM
territory145
Racer

Default Convertible top

Can you recommend a shop on Long Island to do the work?
Thanks
Mitch
Old 06-08-2019, 08:58 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Mitch,

You probably have a bad drive cable which would account for your top raising and lowering unevenly. Assuming that you have one (1) bad drive cable, replace both and only with factory Porsche drive cables. Porsche cables are more expensive but a must. Your new drive cables must synchronized in order for your top to raise and lower evenly.
This work must be done by a convertible top shop that has experience with Porsche convertible tops and is reputable. Check references. Do not bring your car to Porsche for your top repair.
Also, even if only one (1) drive cable is bad, always replace both cables. This is not a job that you want to do twice.
Leave your convertible top either up or down in the interim to minimize damaging your convertible top frame.
Perfect advice!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by territory145
Can you recommend a shop on Long Island to do the work?
Thanks
Mitch
Mitch,
I have always used Futureline in Exton, PA, Mark Spiro, 1-610-363-7977. Futureline has been in business since 1960, knowledgeable with our tops and enjoys an excellent reputation.
Reach out to our members. Someone may have a shop closer to your area, knowledgeable with our tops with a great reputation.
This ia highly specialized work and an area that you do not want to cut a corner or experiment with one who responds "they're just like any other convertible top." They are not!!
Do it right the first time.
Maybe after the weekend, other members may know someone reputable, experienced and knowledgeable with our tops.
Mark is a good guy. You may want to ask Mark depending on the response that you receive to your post.
Please keep me informed.
Thanks
Old 06-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
Perfect advice!
abiazis,
Do you know anyone experienced and knowledgeable with our tops, and reputable closer to Mitch than Futureline?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: CONVERTIBLE TOP DRIVE AND LINK ARM