993 Forum 1995-1998

OE TT Connecting Rods vs Aftermarket at 450hp

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 03:47 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default OE TT Connecting Rods vs Aftermarket at 450hp

Posting here as well due to increased traffic. I think I know the answer to this but since my motor is open I figured I would ask the question. My OE rods are currently out being balanced/etc. Had a slight scare that two of them may have overheated but it was a mix up at the shop. I researched aftermarket connecting and they offer some attractive advantages. That being said, I am not modifying anything other than the GT oil cooler, cat/muffler bypass, and "S" tune that is already on the car. My guess is that I am making 450hp max. I figure my refurbed OE con rods are good enough for long term use at this HP/TQ level. Thoughts?

Old 06-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Personally, I would not use 993 rods in any engine that will see 7K RPM (or more) and 325 BHP. Carrillo, Pauter, or Arrow, only.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:30 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Personally, I would not use 993 rods in any engine that will see 7K RPM (or more) and 325 BHP. Carrillo, Pauter, or Arrow, only.
Even on a Turbo?
Old 06-08-2019, 11:25 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

It's the first thing changed on a decent turbo engine build. Sure ARP rod bolts buy you head room but not much. They tend to oval on the big end from the weight and RPM. The Arrow rod is MUCH lighter and stronger than OEM. It's really the first thing that should be done IMHO, even at your modest power levels. The added head room will also give you peace of mind when you eventually add more power.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:23 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarinS4
It's the first thing changed on a decent turbo engine build. Sure ARP rod bolts buy you head room but not much. They tend to oval on the big end from the weight and RPM. The Arrow rod is MUCH lighter and stronger than OEM. It's really the first thing that should be done IMHO, even at your modest power levels. The added head room will also give you peace of mind when you eventually add more power.
Are the arrows drop in? No modification required?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock turbo rods with ARP bolts would not bother me in the slightest. Spinning fast is much harder on the rods than additional chamber pressure... So as long as you're keeping the 6800rpm they'll be fine.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:13 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Ahhhh I get what you are saying now.

Understood. Tough call since my rods are already out being specced wit the ARP bolts. Will do some serious thinking. It seems to me that an economical but also confidence inspiring option would Pauter rods since they are now significantly cheaper than Carillo or Arrow. Not quite as light but stronger and lighter than OE.

Originally Posted by jstyer
Stock turbo rods with ARP bolts would not bother me in the slightest. Spinning fast is much harder on the rods than additional chamber pressure... So as long as you're keeping the 6800rpm they'll be fine.
Yeah thats the current plan.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:08 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I am sure you could find a buyer for the stock rods. Pelican Parts seems to have better classifieds for that sort of thing. Then that $$$ just comes off the top of the price of the new ones.

Reducing reciprocating mass takes a TON of load off the big rod end and rod bearings. The 993 has narrower rod journals than earlier cars and the GT3. That means more pressure per square inch all things being equal. The factory pistons are pretty heavy but they do have many advantages over the aftermarket ones so I would stay with those unless racing. That leaves only the rods as a source of weight reduction. While quite pricey I opted for the Aarow rods for strength & weight reasons. Mine was a budget build too.

While many options seem expensive on top of the rest of the rebuild costs they will seem cheap down the line. Changing cams now is around a $1k proposition. Down the road once assembled its thousands. They REALLY wake the car up too! Consult with experienced guys like Steve W and try so he can help determine the right parts to replace while you're in there vs throwing away a bunch of money.

Lastly I cringe when I hear HP goals. That's a static number at one point in the RPM band. You should focus on the power delivery curve and let the numbers fall where they will. Getting north of 450 will be easy. Getting the car to feel eager and happy throughout the power band with a 2v non VVT engine will require MUCH more planning. Don't squander this opportunity to set the stage for a happy 993tt.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:25 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

I am sure you could find a buyer for the stock rods. Pelican Parts seems to have better classifieds for that sort of thing. Then that $$$ just comes off the top of the price of the new ones.

Reducing reciprocating mass takes a TON of load off the big rod end and rod bearings. The 993 has narrower rod journals than earlier cars and the GT3. That means more pressure per square inch all things being equal. The factory pistons are pretty heavy but they do have many advantages over the aftermarket ones so I would stay with those unless racing. That leaves only the rods as a source of weight reduction. While quite pricey I opted for the Aarow rods for strength & weight reasons. Mine was a budget build too.

While many options seem expensive on top of the rest of the rebuild costs they will seem cheap down the line. Changing cams now is around a $1k proposition. Down the road once assembled its thousands. They REALLY wake the car up too! Consult with experienced guys like Steve W and try so he can help determine the right parts to replace while you're in there vs throwing away a bunch of money.

Lastly I cringe when I hear HP goals. That's a static number at one point in the RPM band. You should focus on the power delivery curve and let the numbers fall where they will. Getting north of 450 will be easy. Getting the car to feel eager and happy throughout the power band with a 2v non VVT engine will require MUCH more planning. Don't squander this opportunity to set the stage for a happy 993tt.
Understood. 450hp is just where I am guessing the car was at before the rebuild (30-40 over stock), not a future goal. Just looking to fix the motor and have it perform just like it did and be confident in the mechanicals. I have gone overboard with previous builds, I can confidently say that I dont want to change the character of the motor much if it all from where it was when I bought it. So, if OE turbo rods and ARP bolts are good enough, then maybe that is what I do. If I should really look at aftermarket rods because they SHOULD be replaced, then maybe I do that. The HP figure was just to make the point that its a little beefier than a stock turbo but not much, and most of that is just the cat/muffler delete.

Quick Reply: OE TT Connecting Rods vs Aftermarket at 450hp