Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:21 AM
Poor911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine metal dust on dipstick

Hi everyone I’m new 👋.
95 carrera 55k miles
It seems to run great pulls strong no smoke no noises. No oil loss.
sooo,
I checked my oil today but couldn’t see where it was st on the crazy swirled dipstick inside the garage . I took it outside it the bright sun and got some reflection back . Oil looked good and clean (not black) about halfway up the swirl sick lol. However, it looks semi glittery. I never noticed this before, the car has about 1300mi on the oil. I haven’t needed to add any oil yet. It “Looks like” crazy small pieces of metal almost like metal dust. I cleaned the dip stick and checked it a few more times all the same glittery effect . Wiped it between my fingers and couldn’t feel them the specs are too small. I can only see them under a strong flash light or bright sun. It makes my oil look metallic.

Is this normal . Should I be concerned ? Could it be from the metal dip stick rubbing the tube when I’m pulling it out? The fit seems really tight.

I did some searching and the only thing I came up with were way bigger chunks mine is like crazy fine metal dust.
i know your going to ask what kind of oil is it and I don’t know dealer changed it last along with some leaky gaskets
Old 05-19-2019, 02:02 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Have an oil analysis done

treat it like an aircraft engine
Old 05-19-2019, 02:42 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I noticed something similar on my car years ago and was told on these forums there is a lining (bronze maybe?) in the dip stick tube that can cause this. I have a picture of it on a paper towel from 2012 and my car has been fine. An oil analysis never hurts.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor911
Hi everyone I’m new 👋.
95 carrera 55k miles
It seems to run great pulls strong no smoke no noises. No oil loss.
sooo,
I checked my oil today but couldn’t see where it was st on the crazy swirled dipstick inside the garage . I took it outside it the bright sun and got some reflection back . Oil looked good and clean (not black) about halfway up the swirl sick lol. However, it looks semi glittery. I never noticed this before, the car has about 1300mi on the oil. I haven’t needed to add any oil yet. It “Looks like” crazy small pieces of metal almost like metal dust. I cleaned the dip stick and checked it a few more times all the same glittery effect . Wiped it between my fingers and couldn’t feel them the specs are too small. I can only see them under a strong flash light or bright sun. It makes my oil look metallic.

Is this normal . Should I be concerned ? Could it be from the metal dip stick rubbing the tube when I’m pulling it out? The fit seems really tight.

I did some searching and the only thing I came up with were way bigger chunks mine is like crazy fine metal dust.
i know your going to ask what kind of oil is it and I don’t know dealer changed it last along with some leaky gaskets
It's your second car? Right? Check the dipstick on your daily drive and compare!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:49 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

If you want peace of mind, next time you do an oil change have it analyzed. Chances are it’s nothing.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Poor911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
I noticed something similar on my car years ago and was told on these forums there is a lining (bronze maybe?) in the dip stick tube that can cause this. I have a picture of it on a paper towel from 2012 and my car has been fine. An oil analysis never hurts.
Thank you ! Thats exactly what it looks like . Ill Sent to Blackstone I already ordered a kit.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:22 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor911
Thank you ! Thats exactly what it looks like . Ill Sent to Blackstone I already ordered a kit.
Please post results when you get them.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:28 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If you don't see it on oil taken from the engine case drain plug it is local to the dip stick.
If you see the same from oil taken from the drain plug you have an issue somewhere else in the engine.
Draining the engine case will only drain a small quantity of oil and it can be put back in. so it is an easy DIY to sample the oil in the engine case.
Andy
Old 05-19-2019, 11:36 AM
John Crisalli
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oil analysis

You may not need to send away for oil analysis. If you have a local heavy equipment dealer close by, give them a call to see if they have an analysis lab. If so, drop off a sample to them and get the result in about 2-3 days.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Any reason you can't take a picture of what you're seeing? I'm skeptical you actually have metal particles in your oil. If there were enough to be visible in the tiny amount of oil on your dipstick, it means something catastrophic is wrong and your engine wouldn't run for long. I am sure you are fine.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:20 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

55K miles! Hell, the motor is still breaking in!
Old 05-20-2019, 12:01 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by John Crisalli
You may not need to send away for oil analysis. If you have a local heavy equipment dealer close by, give them a call to see if they have an analysis lab. If so, drop off a sample to them and get the result in about 2-3 days.
+1 a cat dealer like a Ziegler does oil analysis very reasonably

Quick Reply: Fine metal dust on dipstick