Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Factory Alarm Stereo Tamper Connection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 07:16 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Factory Alarm Stereo Tamper Connection?

Hello,

My car was broken into a while ago and the stereo was stolen (who steals a 1 DIN stereo these days?!). Anyway, I finally got around to installing a newer version of a similar Pioneer head unit, it was an easy job and I now even have digital radio!... However, after an hour or so of finishing and locking the car my factory alarm (key in door activated) started going off. I thought this was weird and cleaned out the door switches, opened and closed the front and back and decluttered the glove box just in case, then locked the car. Another hour or so goes by and the alarm goes off again!

I know that there is a tamper connection on the stereo of the 996 models, which is well documented, however, I can't find any info on whether there is something similar on the 993. Can anyone give me any pointers, and info on how to connect or disable this?

As I say, the new stereo is the same make as the previous one, which I fitted myself and had zero issues with.

Thanks,
Old 05-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I've recently been doing some checking on the alarm / immobiliser and in the workshop manual there is reference to an alarm point on the right rear of the radio cradle.

You'll find a basic diagram in page 90 - 5 of the Diagnosis Manual and on 90 - 6

"8. Radio alarm contact
The alarm contact at the radio bracket connects the control unit to ground if the radio is pulled out of its bracket"
Old 05-04-2019, 04:06 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

You can use a Porsche compatible OBD tool to read out the alarm trigger event reason.
The alarm wire is connected to the frame of the radio. Just disconnect, isolate and tug away.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 05-04-2019, 02:12 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I didn’t find the main green wire, but my loom had been spliced for my amplifier and speaker split. I did, however, find a small green wire hanging loose from above that would have been brushing up against the stereo case, so I taped up the end and tucked it out of the way. It’s been half a day now and no alarm, so fingers crossed. Thanks for the help.

There is a lot of discussion on “green wire syndrome” elsewhere if anyone else is having the same problem.

Quick Reply: Factory Alarm Stereo Tamper Connection?