Default Locks won’t stay locked

All,

Saw some old threads on this but nothing helpful. Any advice on this:
Using the fob to lock the car:
- Solid locking sound
- Then horn
- The very quiet sound (unlock?)
- doors aren’t locked
- Same results using the key to lock the door (after removing plastic insert)

I’ve opened and closed all doors, frunk and engine lid.

Note: I changed the battery a couple of days ago and didn’t do the ECU reset because it was only disco for five minutes.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Tim
Old 04-30-2019, 05:22 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Horn sound means fault in doors
it thinks a door is still open
possibly switch that says doors are closed properly
might be frunk or engine lid also
Old 04-30-2019, 06:06 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
" I changed the battery a couple of days ago and didn’t do the ECU reset
What do you refer to as an ECU reset?
When reconnecting a batter for a moment all sorts of electrical noise is introduced into the system during the transient moment when the battery clamp first touches the battery terminal.
This can scramble any of the various controllers in the car.
If this is what you have done recently I would disconnect clean the contacts and reconnect the battery again to reboot the controllers and see if it clears the issue.
If not investigate the door switches as the Iain suggests above.
Be sure to post your results if it clears the issue.
Andy
Old 04-30-2019, 06:21 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

By ECU reset, I mean this: https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...set-ecu-378258

So same thing you’re saying. I’ll try this tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
I have same issue and was told it could be a door actuator. In my case it’s the drivers side door that’s causing the issue. Haven’t had time to solve yet.
i had a failed door actuator a while back and it didn’t cause the symptoms the OP described. I think his issue is failed trunk, engine lid, door or glovebox switch.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Tim- I checked on my 97: if either door is open when I try to lock with the FOB, I get exactly what you get: locking sound, beep, quieter click, doors unlocked. You didn't mention what the door LEDs do but with a door open i get a single LED flash (coincident with the horn beep) but not the later single flash sequence. Repeating the test with doors closed but with either: frunk lid, engine lid or glove comparison open i get: no beep, doors DO lock, and after 10 seconds the LEDS do the doubleflash thing.

Based on this, I agree with IainM - the car thinks one of the doors is open. Doesn't sound like a problem with the frunk, engine lid or glove box switches.

-Jay
Old 05-01-2019, 11:05 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with the others. I had the same issue a few years ago, replaced the door switch, all good. Make sure you have the rubber boot over your switch.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:15 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just out of curiosity, did you happened to notice if the door top LED was double blinking when you try to lock the car? This could indeed indicate a failed micro switch either in the doors, glove box, trunk, engine bay, or the clutch pedal micro switch. All of which are on the same circuit.

Last edited by nine9six; 05-01-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:31 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

I'd guess the frunk switch needs adjusting. Does the frunk light stay on?
Old 05-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Jay777
Pro

^^^ Not if it behaves like a '97: Not sure what year you have but my doors DO LOCK even if the frunk, engine lid or glove compartment are open, but like Tim's, DON'T LOCK if either door is open.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:59 PM
tstafford
Race Car

While at Road Atlanta today (just tossing that in), I did the ECU reset process which did nothing to alter the behavior. I did notice that the button inside the car successfully locks the doors and they stay locked in that case. So an option I have is to just move in to my car.

My mechanic is confident he can fix it so that’s the next step. FD SSK/Golden rod are en route via UPS too so mechanic can do that too.

Loving the car. Made the trip to Atlanta from Nashville without a hitch (other than the locks). And it’s so fun to drive. Thanks all for the ideas on the locks. I’ll post a resolution if/when I get one.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

Welcome to 993 ownership. Luckily this isn’t too big of a deal. Bad door actuator possibly. Hope you have a good Indy down there.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Jay777
Pro

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
curious what symptoms you had?

When I lock the car from inside using the center button, it’s the drivers door that doesn’t lock. How to isolate/ test if it’s the door switch?
If your central locking button locks the passenger door but not the driver door, you're probably looking at an ACTUATOR/LOCK problem in the driver's door (or the wiring going to it). This is different than tstafford's situation. His central locking button locks both doors, indicating the locks and actuators are ok, making the door switches the more likely culprit in his case. What year is your car and what do the door LEDs do when you lock using the FOB?
Old 05-02-2019, 09:50 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jay777
If your central locking button locks the passenger door but not the driver door, you're probably looking at an ACTUATOR/LOCK problem in the driver's door (or the wiring going to it). This is different than tstafford's situation. His central locking button locks both doors, indicating the locks and actuators are ok, making the door switches the more likely culprit in his case. What year is your car and what do the door LEDs do when you lock using the FOB?
Turns out I was wrong. Central locking button locks driver's door but not passenger - and leaves it locked (unlike the fob). I'm beginning to think actuator on the passenger side. And to make matters more fun - the ignition switch went out today. I can remove the key and the car continues to run. Only way to stop it is to stall it and then disco the battery to turn off the electronics.

I think I'm enjoying the "benefits" of buying a car with 28K on it w/ only 2K of these happening over the last five years! My bet is I will work thru a list of issues over the next six months and end up with a bullet proof car that is all mine.

Man is this thing fun to drive.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Man is this thing fun to drive.
And that is exactly why we find it so easy to put up with all “quirks” of our 20+ year old cars

Quick Reply: Locks won’t stay locked