Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Describe the feeling you had when you drove your first 993! (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/114081-describe-the-feeling-you-had-when-you-drove-your-first-993-a.html)

Miraculix 02-12-2004 05:47 AM

Describe the feeling you had when you drove your first 993!

How do you describe the feeling of driving a 993 to people who never have?

How did you feel and what did you feel when you drove your first 993?

I was amazed by the sound from the rear, the power, the stability and quality!
I thought to myself, "I have to have a 993"
2 weeks after that I bought my own one :)

I feel almost invincible driving my car, do you know what I'm talking about?

Bins 02-12-2004 06:31 AM

I went to the OPC to test drive a 993 and a boxster.
I tried the boxster first. Put the hood down, and took it for about 15 minute drive. I felt nothing. It felt just like any other modern car.

Then I sat in the 993 coupe.
Started her up and slowly moved forwards. Wow.
I dont think I'll ever forget the moment.
I must have had a smile from eye to eye.
I didnt even drive fast. Just an enjoyable cruise.
It was fabulous. The sound, the smell and the ride.
I was hooked. :)

willisit 02-12-2004 06:55 AM

I felt like a complete n00b... I've driven a lot of cars but just felt lost in the 993 - I think I was just afraid of hurting it (or it hurting me). 30 mins later and you couldn't pry me from that seat!

I never driven anything quite like the 993... it's my all time favourite ride EVER. Bar none.

The sound is great... I like the window down even in the winter!

Aussie Alan 993 02-12-2004 07:24 AM

I drove a VW type 3 wagon between 1982 and 1987. I sold it to my brother and he still has it, but he no longer drives it.

The night I picked up my 993 from just near Canberra and was driving it to my home in Sydney, my bro rang me and asked my what I thought of the Porsche, to which I answered,

Its like the Volkswagen "ON STEROIDS".

The engine sound coming from behind, the slope of the windscreen, the round guages in front of you, the feel of the controls, the direct steering.

The power, mmmmm power... like donuts to Homer.

He agreed once he drove it that weekend.

Alan

James Shunt 02-12-2004 07:41 AM

I'd tried a 964 and to me it felt awkward. It was fast but clunky and I didn't feel comfortable with it during the test drive. I was hoping to feel overwhelmed by the excitement I'd felt driving sports cars at track events, and it just wasn't there. I can't put my finger on why but it just didn't feel right.

Two weeks later I got into a 993 and instantly felt happy. It was confidence-building, quick as you like and handled exactly as I wanted it to. That Porsche grin stayed on my face all day and has reappeared whenever I've driven it since.

James

C2MED 02-12-2004 11:12 AM

In the beginning before I got used to it, I just felt so good that I could be driving it all day everyday. The whole car felt like it's machined out of a single piece of alloy.
Later when I got more and more used to it, I had to conciously NOT to slow down before corners because it just corners so well and it handled as if I was physically holding the front end with my bare hands! (a bit like when you're playing with toy cars)

mike cap 02-12-2004 11:27 AM

Anyone remember what Richard Pryor said to Gene Wilder when they were stealing the Jag E-Type in the movie "Silver Streak"?

That's how I felt when I first drove my car......

viperbob 02-12-2004 12:59 PM

Well when I first drove a 993 I was driving a modified '94 3.6L Turbo. So I thought they were a little on the slow side, and handled OK. This was because my first experience with them was on a race track as an instructor. Then I went to a the dark side or a Dodge Viper for a few years. After getting my Turbo though, the first time I sat in it I said to myself "I'm back home"....

RMEllis 02-12-2004 01:28 PM

Love

Jack Ennuste 02-12-2004 01:30 PM

First impression was massive acceleration. Second was that everybody stared. Third was go-cart type feeling.

KeithR3 02-12-2004 01:44 PM

The first time I drove a 993, as soon as I started the engine I was already thinking of ways to get rid of my M Coupe, talk my wife into getting

993Brendan 02-12-2004 01:44 PM

I drove my first 993 about 4 months ago. Knowing that I had been lusting after his car for a year or so, fellow Rennlister Cary Dunn decided that rather than just letting me drive his car, he would let me autocross it. I remember how different the car felt than my M3, but how much more I liked it. I ended up taking home the TTOD (top time of the day), an honor which I was never able to reach racing my M3 and didn't expect to get racing a 993 whose only mods were ROW springs and Bilstein shocks. Needless to say, I loved the way it handled and was able to get comfortable behind the wheel pretty quick. Three months later I bought one of my own.

96C4 02-12-2004 02:06 PM

Thought about test driving/buying one for a year. 2 days after my first test drive I bought one. Perfection. The type of car that, as you drive by, can make young boys walk into telephone poles.

TB993tt 02-12-2004 02:20 PM

"How did you feel and what did you feel when you drove your first 993?"

Thought it was very quiet and civilised with a heating system which had a working thermostat. Seats felt and looked cheaply made compared to '80s/'90s versions (and the passenger backrest came unstuck) - felt pretty slow (compared to previous 470hp 965)
handling was planted but crap (compared to Ruf Nurburgring kit on 965) and didn't like all the movement felt in all the bushings and the weissach axle "effect". Felt pretty cool driving a brand new 993tt in '95 and thought it made the 965 look very dated. Bought a Ruf CTR1 to bring back the raw experience in '97 then went the full monty on the 993 in 2000 to create a proper turbo Porsche 911 :D

cmoss 02-12-2004 03:36 PM

My feelings?

First feeling...
--man my SC sucks!

second feeling...
--wow I need on of these

Chris