Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

So I went to BestBuy today ...

Old 04-27-2019, 08:09 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts
Default So I went to BestBuy today ...

and came out to find this ... how can people be so clueless? Fortunately (well, more like surprisingly), they never made contact ...

Old 04-27-2019, 08:20 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

That's crossing the line.......
Old 04-27-2019, 08:38 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

I often park at a far end of parking lots to get a little more exercise and also protect the car only to come out with some dude parked right next to me even though there are dozens of free spaces.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Looks like they did that on purpose.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:39 PM
993pbug
Racer

Originally Posted by tstafford
I often park at a far end of parking lots to get a little more exercise and also protect the car only to come out with some dude parked right next to me even though there are dozens of free spaces.
I always try to do the same and always try to park next to a curb so at least half the car is protected. But exercise - what’s that?

Originally Posted by rk-d
Looks like they did that on purpose.
My initial thoughts exactly, but the driver’s seat was really close to the wheel along with 2 car seats in the back. I think it was just an oblivious mom that got lucky and didn’t make contact. If it was on purpose, I’m guessing they would have needed someone coaching them in so not to make contact ...
Old 04-27-2019, 11:36 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So crappy. That’s why I drive my pick up or company car to the mall or places like Best Buy. Geez.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:16 AM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

Learned long ago, doesn't matter how "short" you stop from the line, most people will park an arbitrary distance from the car in front of you. Which sometimes means they will be crossing the line. Maybe with the relatively small 993 and their SUV they parked a lot closer than they thought.

Harold
Old 04-28-2019, 08:42 AM
993pbug
Racer

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
Maybe with the relatively small 993 and their SUV they parked a lot closer than they thought.

Harold
Exactly how I felt about it, but also had to wonder how someone could be so oblivious? Given they were in an SUV, the front of my car had to have been completely out of sight while they edged in closer and closer. I usually gauge parking by having my mirrors close to even with a car beside me unless it’s obvious their parked something like this person did - but that’s just me.

My initial posting wasn’t done because I was mad over it, but because of how many people on the road today are completely clueless to their surroundings. I was actually impressed that they pulled it off without bumping me.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:56 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by 993pbug
Exactly how I felt about it, but also had to wonder how someone could be so oblivious? Given they were in an SUV, the front of my car had to have been completely out of sight while they edged in closer and closer. I usually gauge parking by having my mirrors close to even with a car beside me unless it’s obvious their parked something like this person did - but that’s just me.

My initial posting wasn’t done because I was mad over it, but because of how many people on the road today are completely clueless to their surroundings. I was actually impressed that they pulled it off without bumping me.
I can see it now - that SUV is probably full of crushed cheerios. She probably doesn't have her cell phone connected to Bluetooth and is either talking or texting at all times. Vehicle awareness is the last thing on the priority list. I'm sure if she bumped your car, she wouldn't think it's a big deal - I've had that happen to me before on one of my previous cars. SUV mom hit my bumper when parking. She thought I was being ridiculous for even caring.

I almost don't know what's worse - intentionally parking close or being completely oblivious.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:09 AM
993pbug
Racer

IMHO, being completely oblivious is far worse as that typically is at the root of every accident.

Last edited by 993pbug; 05-02-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-28-2019, 09:40 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts

Many years ago I parked my new 944s in a mall parking lot at least 40 spaces away from anyone far off in a quiet corner of the parking lot. The car was perfectly situated in a proper space. I came out to find the car keyed. I will never understand people. I don't think I will be parking mine at malls. Been thinking I am going to be selective where I take it.

Your car looks beautiful. Luckily it was unharmed.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:13 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 993pbug

I expect that it was pure chance that the driver didn't make contact with your bumper. More than likely the driver was on the cell phone when parking, and had no idea how close the cars were or worse yet made contact with your bumper and pulled back a little. Keep in mind that to most people a car is simply an appliance to get them from point A to B.
My DD is an Audi S8. A couple of weeks ago I was walking to my car when I noticed a woman slowly backing into a parking spot until the bumpers made contact. I checked for damage and fortunately there was only about a 1/4" piece of plastic molding which broke off. Since the damaged area could only be viewed from a kneeling position, I was going to ignore it. Nevertheless, the driver's comments to me as I approached her provided a good commentary on how some people view cars. As I approached her she said "what's the big deal; it's just a bumper and bumpers are made to bump."
Old 04-28-2019, 11:31 AM
993pbug
Racer

I had expected them to have made contact and backed off so I pulled back a few feet and doubled checked. There was a thin layer of road dust on the bumper, and it was completely undisturbed - checking from many angles in the sun showed nothing. Now, the next time I wash it, I may very well be proven wrong though ...

I also had a brand-new 1996 RR back in the day and ran in the store with the wife for no more than 10 minutes. I had parked it in a regular spot (fortunately spots in SW PA can be liberally wide), and when we came out there was a single scratch down the entire driver’s side. I kept my cool knowing there wasn’t anything I could do about it on the spot, but when I backed out, I noticed a group of 14 or 15 yo kids on skateboards laughing so I drove straight over to them. The look on their faces was priceless when they panicked and scattered like cockroaches.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:02 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

fast1, you just reminded me of an incident. My father was in the AF , we were stationed in Germany, so this happened on a military base. My mom ran into the BX to get something quick , I waited in the car for her . Lady parks next to the car, swings her door wide open and "thud", hits my moms car. She acts like no big deal. So I get out, look at the door, little dime sized dent. I say to her "lady, you hit the car". She nonchalantly said " It's a parking lot , you have to expect that". I then open our car door and flung it pretty hard towards her car, puts about a half dollar sized dent in her car. Her jaw drops, I then give her a big smile and say: it's a parking lot, you have to expect that.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:20 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I came out to find this beauty in a parking lot shared by a Best Buy and a Panera Bread. I was there with friends for a cars and coffee and was enjoying my coffee inside while some D-bag did this and left! People really suck sometimes!
To the OP, I'm glad that no contact was made with your car! It looks like pure luck because I'm sure there was no skill or concern by the other driver!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I went to BestBuy today ...