993 Forum 1995-1998

Recognize this part?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 06:56 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Recognize this part?

More traffic here. Did my first oil change on my 993 Turbo since purchase. I found a small skinny spring either on the mag plug for the crankcase or it was trapped in the threads. Maybe a helicoil? It looks like it could also be a garter spring from something like a crankcase seal/cam seal etc... Anyone know what this is?

993 Turbo, 81,000 miles. Car had a top end rebuild about 25K miles ago. It doesnt burn oil or make smoke. It does not have any significant leaks but does appear to be seeping a small amount of oil. Maybe 1 drop on the garage floor a week.

Additionally found some copper in the oil and filters. Possible this debris gouged the bearings.

Jason
Old 04-27-2019, 07:37 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like a spring you would find on the backside of an oil seal to me, so garter spring? Not like any helicoil I've ever used.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Indeed, thats the spring from a seal.

If you saved some of the oil you drained out, I'd sure send that in for a UOA.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobboinski
Looks like a spring you would find on the backside of an oil seal to me, so garter spring? Not like any helicoil I've ever used.
Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Indeed, thats the spring from a seal.

If you saved some of the oil you drained out, I'd sure send that in for a UOA.
Thanks! I am going to get the car looked at this week. I am going to advise them that I think the motor ingested or partially ingested a seal like the RMS and give them the evidence and oil filters.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

So here is my oil analysis from Blackstone.

A rebuilder I contacted recommended sending a borescope into the oil pump and around the oil screen to look for any additional pieces. I am going to have the car looked at next week.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Interesting. It sometimes happens that the garter spring on an RMS pops off during installation but I sure don't see how it's possible for it to enter the bloodstream of the engine and end up on the drain plug. Plus your RMS would be leaking if that spring was missing.

I wonder if the motor was buttoned up with a foreign object inside. That actually would be somewhat good news assuming everything runs well.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:39 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Churchill
Interesting. It sometimes happens that the garter spring on an RMS pops off during installation but I sure don't see how it's possible for it to enter the bloodstream of the engine and end up on the drain plug. Plus your RMS would be leaking if that spring was missing.

I wonder if the motor was buttoned up with a foreign object inside. That actually would be somewhat good news assuming everything runs well.
Yeah odd for sure. I need to get the car inspected. It is seeping oil but nothing major.

Quick Reply: Recognize this part?