Change is in the air - need your thought

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 06:40 PM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Change is in the air - need your thought

Hi all,

Yes I know, ask the internet and you will end up with more questions than anwsers, as when you started.

Here goes anyway:

Currently I have a 1996 flat black 993 4s. Black on black, standard interior. Manual, pretty much original car except pss10, ERP suspension, Morimotos, tequipment carbon wheel, stick, pbrake, hollowespokes. 118k miles. Sunroof.
Car is in good shape and have been in my garage for 1,5 year. The car have been thrown money at to gain back the «pop» it once had from factory, after lack of some love from PO. Im very pleased with the car. It performs very well, and handles supersharp out on the b-roads. It is fun to drive, fully capable for powersliding on the twisty bits of roads. It has the classic 911 lines (no spoiler) and color. The missus like it and the trips we go together on.
Im happy, but I initially wanted a polar silver one. And I think the overall weight of the car could be significant lower than 1425kg dry to gain more driveability.

What I have been thinking about lately is how does it compare with a 993 RS clubsport on the twisty b-roads?
Is the difference so large between the two in weight/suspension/gearbox combo? Is the 993 rs also capable for longre trips 1200 miles with the same comfort, but also with the raw respons lying readily there for those random moments that just pops up from time to time?

Why im asking is that a possible solution have emearged.

I have an option to swap my car in for a 1994 993 c2 Polar Silver with 85k miles, grey interior, manual, non-sunroof, pss10, Rennline/tarrett suspension, pole positions, heigo rollbar, rs frontlip, rs skirts and gt2 wing. The original seats, rear deck etc comes with it apparantly.

This might be a good object to start to build my own 993 rs clubsport - in the color I wanted in the first place.
It is also possible to reverse the process back to original should that ever be desired.
im thinking Clubsport aero - original parts. Clubsport interior but with RS carpet, pole positions with RS inserts, rs doorcards, rs hubs, pss10 suspension, rs gearbox and later on 3,8 engine. Mainly OEM RS parts will be sourced and used.

This will demand lots of money and time (time I do not have so much of). I do have the facilities to do all work but I cant figure out if this is smart move or not. Thats why I need input from you people. Anyone been in the same situation?

Might I be better off just keeping the 4s and put a couple of pole positions in that to reduce some weight and add RS carriers up front and RS gearing?

Let me hear your thoughts, please.

My current car:

The car I’d like to build (i know there is a few on here aswell!):
Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Sounds like a fun process if you have the cash to make it happen w/o feeling pinched. If you have the $$$ and a good indy mechanic, I say go for it!!!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:36 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I think if your asking you already know the answer

My vote is to build that dream RS replica, you only live once and time is not something you can buy back. Your planning to use OEM parts so added plus.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Having driven many miles in a C4S and now owning a narrow body C2 with many rs mods, I think the C2 is far more engaging, nimbler on tight roads, and has noticeably better acceleration. I have PSS10 set fairly stiff, RS bars set in the middle, RS stiffness bushings everywhere (even where RS didn’t), new (but stock) shock mounts, shortshifter, RS motor mounts, hardback sport seats - and the car is comfortable enough that I wouldn’t think twice about a day-long road trip in it. I drove it two full days once, from Southern CA to MT and ended each day refreshed and happy. I shied away from the RS shock mounts because I was afraid the solid connection points would add too much NVH and push the car over the edge into uncomfortable territory.

On winding roads, it is the most enjoyable, alive, and all out joyous sports car I’ve ever driven.

So I’d say go for it, and make that car yours. Make your changes one step at a time because each one you do will push the line more toward performance and less toward comfort and once you cross the line, the character of the car may change for you from positive to negative. I pushed my RS American too far, and had that experience. It performed well, but was no longer fun. If you change things stepwise, and take the time to enjoy each change as it comes, you’ll know when you are approaching that line and can avoid crossing it.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:52 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
I think the C2...has noticeably better acceleration
Just curious, since they share this exact same engine and the C2 is only about 100 pounds lighter, how could the acceleration be that noticeable?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:52 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

That's sage advice ^ ^
Old 04-25-2019, 08:02 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Just curious, since they share this exact same engine and the C2 is only about 100 pounds lighter, how could the acceleration be that noticeable?
Honestly, no idea. Maybe a combination of base weight, more weight from options, and driveline drag? All I know is that the c4s felt sprightly but uninspiring, while the c2 feels eager and exciting. And that was before the lwfw, which made the c2 even better.

I should add that I think the c4s is a stunningly beautiful machine.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:49 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I would just spend $10K to regear the gearbox and install new lighter seats. Maybe find few other reversible weight saving mods like RWD conversion and call it a day.

Would never go from WB to NB without money in my pocket. Give up turbo brakes? RS starts with at least a NB C4/TT braking system. It is at least a $20-25K spread(maybe more?) today apples to apples car.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chsu74
I would just spend $10K to regear the gearbox and install new lighter seats. Maybe find few other reversible weight saving mods like RWD conversion and call it a day.

Would never go from WB to NB without money in my pocket. Give up turbo brakes? It is at least a $20-25K spread(maybe more?) today apples to apples car.
Oh I didn’t catch that. If he trades he should walk away with some money. Straight across doesn’t work.

Gearbox and suspension would do a lot for the c4s. Financially the c4s will do better in the long term too, I believe.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:25 PM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I have both, find myself taking the keys on the yellow car more often now. Just a bit more visceral, raw and nimble. I will say the seats make a huge difference

Old 04-25-2019, 09:41 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JZ98-993
I have both, find myself taking the keys on the yellow car more often now. Just a bit more visceral, raw and nimble. I will say the seats make a huge difference

Lucky man - those are beauties!
Old 04-26-2019, 12:13 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I've driven various C4S's, C2's and C2S's and will echo yes the RWD C2s feel more lighter and nimble.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:54 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
I think if your asking you already know the answer

My vote is to build that dream RS replica, you only live once and time is not something you can buy back. Your planning to use OEM parts so added plus.

Good luck!
This ^
Old 04-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Regear has always been my dream mod.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:47 PM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts