993 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Babaky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 exhaust

Hello to all

My first post here. First I would like to thank this forum as I have learnt a lot about my car here before I bought mine 5 months ago, and have done a lot of bits and pieces myself thanks to the knowledge base here.
Mine is a spped yellow s4 that bought 5 months ago from a porsche dealer in Berlin, It is an American car (Hawaii) imported into europe about 12 years ago.
Had my first long road trip last month around the champagne and Burgundy region in France. Also my first little accident whilst backing up into a drive where we were staying for the night. The passenger side exhaust tip caught the rather high pavement and forced it into the body of the car....
From the sound of the exhaust I knew that I had cracked something in the exhaust system. I managed to get a garage to do the repairs necessary to get us on the way, by soldering the pipe (the pipe joining the muffler to the catalytic converter just where it exits the muffler, sorry dont know the name, first photo), and disengaging the exhaust tip which was stuck behind the rear spoiler (no damage to the paintwork thank God).

He did say that I had a whole in the heat exchange hose next to the muffler that had to be replaced. Also the exhaust tip on the passenger side was no longer 1 inch proud of the rear spoiler but flush with it. After reading the article here
https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...exhaust-377254
I went to work...

This is hose with a hole, which is easy enough to replace. My problem is putting the exhaust tip in its original position.
In the picture you can see the bracket that holds the muffler with the muffler strap taken off.
I can not tell if it is the bracket which is bent and not bent back enough by the mechanic
or if it is the tube on the muffler which is bent not allowing the exhaust tip to protrude like the drivers side.
should I just bite the bullet and replace both?
The brackets seem to be very securely attached to the engine base and I dont have the wrench necessary to access it but can do this if someone has experience with replacing this bracket.

so any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Babak
Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

The long lower section of that bracket, where it connects to the engine, should be straight. If it's not, you can remove the bracket pretty easily and straighten it. The top of the bracket is held in by a 10mm Allen head bolt. The bottom is clamped by a 13mm hex-head bolt. They sometimes are difficult to break loose, but if you are able to loosen it then the bracket will slide out.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 AM
Babaky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ed devinney
The long lower section of that bracket, where it connects to the engine, should be straight. If it's not, you can remove the bracket pretty easily and straighten it. The top of the bracket is held in by a 10mm Allen head bolt. The bottom is clamped by a 13mm hex-head bolt. They sometimes are difficult to break loose, but if you are able to loosen it then the bracket will slide out.
Great. Thanks for that. So you think it may be thebracket that haa bent?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:11 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's hard to tell from the photo, but easy for you to verify.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:03 PM
Babaky
Intermediate

Well you were right, not very difficult to take off the bracket, but it was not significantly bent.
I am waiting for parts and I will reassemble everything to see what happens
Old 04-28-2019, 06:24 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately that probably means that the pipe from the muffler is bent.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:32 PM
Babaky
Intermediate

Yes i think you are right.
They only seem to sell tjem nex in pairs.
Used ones can be found but iwould have no way of knowing if they are good before purchase.

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2019, 10:52 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't worry too much about a used muffler. There is very little that can go wrong with 993 mufflers, other than crash damage. They are made of heavy stainless steel and don't rust (much). My own car has used mufflers on it, bought so that I could take my time modifying them with an LPMM bypass and just swap onto the car. The ones I took off were sold to another person who did the same thing.

Quick Reply: 993 exhaust