Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Black Carrera Script reads “ arrera”

Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 PM
ppeterso2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Black Carrera Script reads “ arrera”

So went out for a drive, few stores, etc and when I got home noticed the “C” was missing on my 1995 911 Carrera 993. All these years and it was fine. Now it looks stupid to me lol.

i ordered the black Carrera script from a dealer this evening.

i figured I’d remove the old one using dental floss like I’ve read here. But, what adhesive to I use to attach it?
Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 PM
rcropp1
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

If you ordered OEM, the new one will come with adhesive already on the back.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 PM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts

That stinks. Fishing line works well to remove those things. You may want to heat it up a little with a hairdryer first. My guess is the new one will probably come with the adhesive already on it.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 PM
ppeterso2
5th Gear

Thanks for the tips. I have a heat gun that I can put on low—great idea!

Glad to hear that the adhesive comes with!

I tell you, people... —I park it by itself at the store to square the kiddo away for Easter and I come out and 2 huge beat up pickup trucks are purposely parked tightly beside it (both like 250 or 2500 models)—no other cars anywhere near it.
i walked around it to check for scratches and didn’t see any and didn’t notice the emblem was or wasn’t missing at that time but it makes me wonder...
Old 04-21-2019, 01:22 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

There may be an unfaded area in the paint where the old script was that will help you position the new one correctly, but you may want to put a strip of masking tape horizontally below it to be sure you get it back in the right place, with marks on the tape to show lateral position as well. If you plan to clean the paint before installing the new script, you could position the tape a measured distance (e.g. one inch) below the old script to allow working room...

Dental floss works well for removal, too, if you don't have fishing line handy.

And the new script does come with the adhesive trim tape already on it, just peel and stick.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 AM
ppeterso2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BobbyT
There may be an unfaded area in the paint where the old script was that will help you position the new one correctly, but you may want to put a strip of masking tape horizontally below it to be sure you get it back in the right place, with marks on the tape to show lateral position as well. If you plan to clean the paint before installing the new script, you could position the tape a measured distance (e.g. one inch) below the old script to allow working room...

Dental floss works well for removal, too, if you don't have fishing line handy.

And the new script does come with the adhesive trim tape already on it, just peel and stick.
Thanks! I agree with your strategy. You can see where the C was. I will tape it all off and clean good to ensure it sticks properly. A crooked emblem would be a nightmare.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by ppeterso2
So went out for a drive, few stores, etc and when I got home noticed the “C” was missing on my 1995 911 Carrera 993. All these years and it was fine. Now it looks stupid to me lol.

i ordered the black Carrera script from a dealer this evening.

i figured I’d remove the old one using dental floss like I’ve read here. But, what adhesive to I use to attach it?
That sucks. I wonder did someone remove it on purpose. I don't hear of these emblems just falling off.

In the meantime, you have an error in your Carerra.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:19 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

I’ve ripped them off with wash mitts in the past

when I replaced my boxster s logo I had the s painted to match the calipers

then a Porsche purist cornered me at a Porsche picnic to see if I had a special edition due to the red s

i said no and that I had the body shop paint it

he got all indignant with me like I dog eared a page in the Bible

what a nut

i mean was only a boxster anyway

I should have told him that Porsche family descendants get red s’s
Old 04-24-2019, 03:07 AM
mrtexasfreedom
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1996 993 Carrera logo broke apart during washings. It left a significant depression in the finish where it had been installed-- the depression followed the script precisely. This did make it easier to install the replacement with correct alignment.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:01 AM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
I’ve ripped them off with wash mitts in the past

when I replaced my boxster s logo I had the s painted to match the calipers

then a Porsche purist cornered me at a Porsche picnic to see if I had a special edition due to the red s

i said no and that I had the body shop paint it

he got all indignant with me like I dog eared a page in the Bible

what a nut

i mean was only a boxster anyway

I should have told him that Porsche family descendants get red s’s
I bet he's fun to live with..
Old 04-27-2019, 10:29 AM
ppeterso2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kingroon
I bet he's fun to live with..
Some people lol—
i had the choice from Porsche this time to buy the black script or silver or chrome (something like that). I went with black but was surely contemplating a brighter different color script. Also I love the 4S and S scripts I see on cars.

So I put my heat gun on low and got my fishing line and it popped off with ease! I had already taped tightly around it. Underneath was some gunky looking adhesive that looked 24 years old for sure. I used the heat gun to lift and picked at it with my fingernail (darn near burned my fingers a few times lol). I cleaned with a little soapy water and wiped to a squeak.

I really wanted to wax under there (especially since there are some scratches and a little fading around the “a” ‘s and “C” ‘s) but I was worried about adherence of the script. It definitely was ugly under the script though.

Worked out nicely!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 Black Carrera Script reads “ arrera”