Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche Classic Radio Navigation USA Maps for UK car on US road trip

Old 04-17-2019, 08:42 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Porsche Classic Radio Navigation USA Maps for UK car on US road trip

Does anyone know if the micro SD card is available for the PCRN with US maps on it. I'm shipping my car over from the UK to do a road trip in and would like to get hold of the maps so I don't have to use my phone.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:30 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 509 Posts

I don’t know how to get it or what the cost would be but the card certainly exists since it comes with every PCRN sold in the US. Maybe contact a dealer close to where you will have the car shipped for pickup?
Old 04-17-2019, 02:48 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Call Suncoast in Florida they’ll be able to help you
Old 04-17-2019, 02:51 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone know if it would work if copied?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:42 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

All good suggestions thank you. I doubt it will copy (but who knows?!), will contact the dealer in Knoxville and also Suncoast and report back. I did ask at my local OPC this morning with no joy and emailed both Porsche Assistance and the manufacturer so hopefully I will manage to get before my road trip begins in full
Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 PM
tstafford
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...PCR911_pg1.htm
Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by antgtv
All good suggestions thank you. I doubt it will copy (but who knows?!), will contact the dealer in Knoxville and also Suncoast and report back. I did ask at my local OPC this morning with no joy and emailed both Porsche Assistance and the manufacturer so hopefully I will manage to get before my road trip begins in full
Tell us more about your planned road trip, please! Where are you planning on traveling and for how long?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

A part number!!!!! Amazing
Porsche just told me it didn't exist due to the age off the car lol.

Shipping the car to South Carolina, transported to Tennessee where I will meet up with it. Will be in Knoxville almost a week before the road trip starts and a week at the end so will be enjoying the Smokys and criss-crossing the Carolinas, Georgia and Tennessee while there. Road trip will pass through Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama. Some of those States I just touch on the way though but I will be sure to make sure I get a photo of the sign as I do.
Going to blog it. Will update once get there and share the link for anyone who is interested.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:58 AM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Yep, that sure is a road trip. Too bad you’re not making it up to the northeast, I’d offer to buy you a few pints! There are some fantastic roads in SE TN and even better views - please do share the link when the journey starts!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:45 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

A part number!!!!! Amazing
Porsche just told me it didn't exist due to the age off the car lol.

Shipping the car to South Carolina, transported to Tennessee where I will meet up with it. Will be in Knoxville almost a week before the road trip starts and a week at the end so will be enjoying the Smokys and criss-crossing the Carolinas, Georgia and Tennessee while there. Road trip will pass through Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama. Some of those States I just touch on the way though but I will be sure to make sure I get a photo of the sign as I do.
Going to blog it. Will update once get there and share the link for anyone who is interested.
will watch for a 993 with euro plates passing through Iowa (that is if you are coming thru Des Moines). Sounds like a great trip and love that you are shipping your car to do it!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:34 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I tried copying the maps SD onto another blank card, and it won't run. Apparently some hidden file that prevents this...
Old 04-21-2019, 04:37 PM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Get one of these. http://www.rennline.com/Phone-Mounts/products/1827/

You'll be better off with google maps with multiple routing stops. Plus, it is in your vision with that mount so you don't have to look down.
With google maps, you can also download maps for offline situations. Then Bluetooth/plug in to Porsche classic radio.

Not getting into the classic nav vs. google maps debate. But, for that epic trip, it will help stressful situations that are going to be new for you. Plus, the mount is awesome.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:50 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

Thanks for trying to copy

I have one of those Rennline phone mounts, really good and may well be what I end up using it. However, the thinking behind not using it is so I'm not staring at my phone the whole way. The PCRN does do way points so it may well be enough given the determinate nature of the route. One of the advantages of Google maps is the live timing and rerouting which in this instance is less relevant. Although, trying the PCRN this weekend in the UK, on a route I know did highlight how poor the mapping software inside these units are, and that the sun does sometimes glare right off the screen making it unreadable.

Is Waze available in the US?
Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 AM
tstafford
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Is Waze available in the US?
100%
Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

US spec card is 91164220201, just over £100 + vat, UK dealer can order it for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio Navigation USA Maps for UK car on US road trip