RUF 993 Carerra 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Augdog1964
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RUF 993 Carerra 4

Hey all,

Looking at a RUF 1996 Carerra 4, low mileage...
She had a turbo installed, RUF interior treatment, RUF front and rear bumpers...

How much does that add in value to a period 993, or does it detract?

I've never looked at a RUF before, but am intrigued. I want to add a 993 to the stable.

Thanks!

Augdog1964
Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

You should ask for way more info. Where was the conversion done? Ruf factory? Does it have a Ruf VIN? Is it a BTR (single turbo) or Turbo R (twin turbo)?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Augdog1964
Advanced

RUF did install the BTR turbo upgrade in 2001. The car was originally a North American spec 4S. It was converted in Germany by RUF when it had 17,116 miles.Not sure if its a twin turbo or not...
Old 04-15-2019, 09:14 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Augdog1964
RUF did install the BTR turbo upgrade in 2001. The car was originally a North American spec 4S. It was converted in Germany by RUF when it had 17,116 miles.Not sure if its a twin turbo or not...
I believe the BTR conversion is single turbo. Arling at RStrada would definitely know for sure.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:47 PM
Augdog1964
Advanced

Default Single Turbo

Yes just confirmed, single turbo...

So what is the premium for a RUF or is there any?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

BTR is single, large turbo. Better be hanging on when the turbo spools up! No idea of the value but think that it was converted in Germany would add some vs. cars that were converted here.

Last edited by bbs993tt; 04-16-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:30 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

I think Javier is selling (or maybe he sold it) his BTR that used to belong to Pong (CP).

Do you have any more details about the car? Is it this one by any chance?

Old 04-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Ruf mods are definitely going to add value, assuming everything has been maintained. Ruf is no fly-by-night operation, they are a highly respected company. Problem is they produce very low volume, so comparison data will be extremely sparse. Ruf owners tend to be a highly meticulous bunch, with loads of cash, in the realm of "money is no object". Ruf is one of those vehicles I dream about owning someday if I ever win the lottery.

Javier's previous car was one of those examples, simply a gorgeous well put together machine. see post #61 in the Official Black 993 Thread!!

There are basically 2 types of Ruf cars, those that were built entirely by Ruf from the ground up, and those that were originally purchased by private owners, and later converted by authorized Ruf mechanics. (they would send over installer(s) from Germany, and/or you could use a Ruf distributor. There used to be one in Dallas, which I think is now defunct. I believe RStrada is an authorized distributor, in North America. I am not sure if there are others.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
There used to be one in Dallas, which I think is now defunct. I believe RStrada is an authorized distributor, in North America. I am not sure if there are others.
True, the Dallas location no longer has a deal with Ruf. IIRC, the next place to have an agreement with Ruf was in Michigan but I have no idea who they are.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Rstrada
Former Vendor

Received 90 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Ruf mods are definitely going to add value, assuming everything has been maintained. Ruf is no fly-by-night operation, they are a highly respected company. Problem is they produce very low volume, so comparison data will be extremely sparse. Ruf owners tend to be a highly meticulous bunch, with loads of cash, in the realm of "money is no object". Ruf is one of those vehicles I dream about owning someday if I ever win the lottery.

Javier's previous car was one of those examples, simply a gorgeous well put together machine. see post #61 in the Official Black 993 Thread!!

There are basically 2 types of Ruf cars, those that were built entirely by Ruf from the ground up, and those that were originally purchased by private owners, and later converted by authorized Ruf mechanics. (they would send over installer(s) from Germany, and/or you could use a Ruf distributor. There used to be one in Dallas, which I think is now defunct. I believe RStrada is an authorized distributor, in North America. I am not sure if there are others.
Thanks Kika.

Augdog1964,

Feel free to reach out if we can assist in any way. Documentation is just as important as the condition of the car. We have seen many examples of them. some are nice some are rougher than others. While Kika is correct on the main difference in general, I'd like to add the importance of period-correct authentic RUF-supplied components. Our definition of a complete RUF car doesn't need to have a RUF vin, as long as the modification or conversion is true to the specific model.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

The BTR performs like a 964 3.6T(ie. with turbo lag) with improved 993 suspension design so it handles better at a lower price point. Probably will not depreciate as long as it is verified as a legitimate RUF car.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Rstrada
Documentation is just as important as the condition of the car. We have seen many examples of them. some are nice some are rougher than others.
Given my experiences with the past two RUF USA custodians, Rstrada certainly seem to have their **** together... Detroit was a joke.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:00 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Given my experiences with the past two RUF USA custodians, Rstrada certainly seem to have their **** together... Detroit was a joke.
at the risk of deviating from the original thread, I have been taking my car to RStrada for a few years now, and they absolutely are a top notch operation. Top notch mechanic in Dan K, and honest, no BS with Arling. Entire staff are car enthusiasts, they LOVE what they do, Porsches are their passion, and it is reflected in the work they do and how they do it.

We in LA are truly fortunate to have a number of great Porsche mechanics locally. To the OP, if you want info on Ruf, I highly recommend reaching out to Arling at RStrada, he knows his stuff. (I have been at the shop when Alois Ruf himself has called Arling)

Quick Reply: RUF 993 Carerra 4