993 Forum 1995-1998

Restoration #2 of my Kinesis K28 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 01:44 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Restoration #2 of my Kinesis K28 wheels

About seventeen years ago or so when I bought my 1996 993 (third owner), it came with Kinesis K28 wheels. These are the old Kinesis wheels prior to their takeover and demise, so sad! The center sections were anodized gunmetal gray. It might have been fifteen years ago when my car got roof damaged on my car lift, as part of the repair, I restored the wheels. Back then, I had the center sections anodized to a golden color, rim lip buffed, etc... Over time those rims developed dark areas that would not com off. Tried all sorts of cleaners, high pressure power washings, etc... About a week ago I did a cleaning with Zap Industrial Cleaner. It must have Lye, or acid that destroyed the anodized finish. I messed up, but the wheels needed refinishing anyway. I disassembled the rims, grit blasted the center sections and the inside of the inner barrel. Here are pix of the newly anodized center sections. The barrels are out getting polished. I also buffed the metal valve stems and caps along with the screw heads that hold the rims together. I am planning on spraying the blasted inner barrel with a two part clear epoxy so they hopefully clean up easily. I will also test out a wheel wax or a ceramic paint protection on the anodize in a non visible spot. My hope is to make the finish last longer.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:32 PM
rcropp1
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

What you have done so far looks great. Please post photos once they are complete.

Robb
Old 04-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

The cheap parts tumbler from Harbor Freight does a great job on the screws... Just throw them in there with the media and let it run for a few hours. I've done many, many sets with mine:

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-m...ler-67617.html
Old 04-07-2019, 11:34 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_bock
I am planning on spraying the blasted inner barrel with a two-part clear epoxy
Be aware that when a steel faster clamps together painted surfaces the paint can collapse over time and the original clamping load applied (torque value) is lost and leaves the fastener subject to fatigue failure.
If I was to assemble wheel rims. I would mask off the paint on all mating surfaces and faster-applied surfaces. If already painted I would burnish off the applied paint and then touch up any nude metal after the fasteners are installed. I also would call a wheel manufacturer and verify one can reuse the fasteners and that whatever contact finish application is something they feel is appropriate. Also on very old wheels, I would check the radius dimension where the wheel mates with the tire bead to ensure the round is still in the specification and safe to use.
I am not a professional wheel manufacturer so take my thoughts above at your own risk, I know what can happen when fasteners fail catastrophically and I have seen them fail sequentially on a wheel like application due to installing issues and it wasn't pretty..
Wheels are safety equipment so caution is always a good thing.
Andy
Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 AM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

they look great!
my only question for now is how do you color match the center caps to the sterns/centers?
(this is why I always seem to ask for "porsche silver" as my go to for color choices)

boring, I know....

best,

paul
Old 04-08-2019, 08:30 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

They look great so far!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:58 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 486 Posts

I've been trying to find a set of these. Beautiful wheels.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:17 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

I ended up buffing the heads of the hardware. They appear to be stainless steel (slightly magnetic) and took on a bright shine.

There will be no paint on the bolted mating surfaces.

Not sure what parts you are trying to color matching? The anodized parts? The available colors of anodize is limited and the finished color can also vary due to the process and the shop.

Search Ebay/web for the Kinesis K28 wheels. I saw a set with tires offered for $2,500. They most likely may need refinishing/rebuild. These are very high quality from a bygone time, not like a lot of crap being pushed today.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
I've been trying to find a set of these. Beautiful wheels.
If searching for WB wheels, look here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...nt-9-11-a.html

Old 04-11-2019, 12:15 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

George.
The wheels are going to look GREAT on your AR car.

Enjoy!
Old 08-18-2020, 09:49 AM
avijay
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_bock
I ended up buffing the heads of the hardware. They appear to be stainless steel (slightly magnetic) and took on a bright shine.

There will be no paint on the bolted mating surfaces.

Not sure what parts you are trying to color matching? The anodized parts? The available colors of anodize is limited and the finished color can also vary due to the process and the shop.

Search Ebay/web for the Kinesis K28 wheels. I saw a set with tires offered for $2,500. They most likely may need refinishing/rebuild. These are very high quality from a bygone time, not like a lot of crap being pushed today.

Could you post a pic of what the hardware looked like once you buffed them?
Old 08-18-2020, 02:07 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Here are some pix I just took now. I have not washed the car or wheels in about eight months so there is some dirt, etc... When I buffed the screw heads, I did not try to do anything in the recesses in the screw head.

Thanks for the positive feedback!!!!!

Old 08-18-2020, 02:32 PM
avijay
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Really helpful, thx.

Quick Reply: Restoration #2 of my Kinesis K28 wheels