993 Forum 1995-1998

QUESTION - CDR220 shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:28 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default QUESTION - CDR220 shuts off

I have a question about my CDR220 that I am using in my Cabrio for more than a decade. This is a low mileage car and I noticed a couple of months ago that the unit starts operating normally and when I drive a short time (~ 1 minute) the unit shuts off completely and cannot be restarted while driving by using the "on button". When I stop and turn the ignition off, the unit starts again as it is supposed to start and shuts off again after a short time. I ws able to replicate this behavior a couple of times.

Have you seen this before? Any guidance on how to trouble shoot?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 02:06 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does that unit have a removable faceplate?
If so, it may just be a matter of snapping it off and back on for improved contact.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:55 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

First, pull the radio out a little and check the plug and grounding strap.
Some units have internal protection against speaker short circuits. If your speakers are the original 20-year-old ones I would check their impedance.
Also to be reasonable the radios in our cars if original are 20 years old and may have dried out or failed internal components as well.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:22 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for responses. Yes, it has the face plate but I took it on and off which did not impact the behavior. I have upgrade the system 10 years ago and have "new" speakers. At the end, I have to pull the unit as suggested and check the connections. I can than make measurements at the plug to see if the proper voltage is at the plug. This should allow to identify if the supply / cables are the issue or if there is something with the unit. Thanks again for help and I will keep you posted with my findings. In addition, I want to upgrade the unit to bluetooth with the new Becker kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-02-Por...AAAOSw4CFYzARs
Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

You could try sending the unit to Becker Auto Sound in NJ. Experts in these units and reasonably priced.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Thanks for responses. Yes, it has the face plate but I took it on and off which did not impact the behavior. I have upgrade the system 10 years ago and have "new" speakers. At the end, I have to pull the unit as suggested and check the connections. I can than make measurements at the plug to see if the proper voltage is at the plug. This should allow to identify if the supply / cables are the issue or if there is something with the unit. Thanks again for help and I will keep you posted with my findings. In addition, I want to upgrade the unit to bluetooth with the new Becker kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-02-Por...AAAOSw4CFYzARs
Becker can do the BT mod internally to your radio or should be able to. They just did my CR 210. See my recent new topic post. The mod is invisible.

You can pull your radio if you have the two keys and check the connections and maybe try some contact cleaner. But it sounds like you have a component failing or shorting out after being energized for a minute or so. Send to Becker with their on line form telling them the problem. They are good to deal with.

Last edited by mike cap; 03-21-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: QUESTION - CDR220 shuts off