993 Forum 1995-1998

The search is OVER!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 11:33 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts
Default The search is OVER!

Hello all, Want to say thanks for all the advice and knowledge I have picked up while lurking on the 993 forum. I am VERY happy to be able to report that after a two year search, I finally found (and purchased) a 993 that I think is the car I was looking for.

My car is a 1995 C2, silver exterior, black full leather interior, six speed manual, 17,000 miles. The car is absolutely beautiful, inside and out, except for a small delamination on the front windshield that I plan to have sorted out as soon as I get the car in my possession. I purchased the car from a Porsche collector that has literally several million dollars invested in P-cars. He has classic older Porsches, and many P-cars that he races. My car was purchased because he wanted a silver/black 993 in his collection. It was recently serviced in CT by a highly respected Porsche shop that had authorization to fix/repair/ replace anything at all that the car needed. Literally everything on the car is new, with all the work being done using Porsche classic parts. Brand new tires, new brakes (rotors/pads/calipers/brake lines), new shocks/springs/ bushings, new belts and hoses, new battery, all new fluids. So why did he sell this car? Because he found a silver/black C2S 993 that he replaced this car with. Nice to have unlimited funds.

I talked with the owner (not the guy in Cali that buys/sells his cars for him) for a long while. It was obvious that he loves talking and sharing his passion about the brand. He actually told me the narrow body car I purchased drives better than the S car that replaced it.... but from a collectability standpoint he wanted the rarer car. As I asked around about the owner I heard over and over again that his cars are the very best examples.... that he is OCD about making/keeping them perfect, and that one simply can not go wrong buying a car out of his collection. So.... I took the leap of faith!

It has 16 inch cup one wheels. I am going to swap those for the 17 inch cup II wheels. I am going to keep the car bone stock. Considering the car I stumbled upon I think that is best. The only bummer is the car is on Southern California and I am in Connecticut. Intercity transport says 3-4 weeks. It is going to be a long month.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:22 PM
mpit
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

fly out and drive it back! sounds like a nice nice car.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:12 PM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Originally Posted by mpit
fly out and drive it back! sounds like a nice nice car.
Thanks! Don't think that thought didn't cross my mind. Not sure I wanted to add the 2000+ miles.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:35 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Sounds like a gem. The service records on my car from the original owner shows a windshield replaced at 3,000 miles. Done in warranty due to some delamination spots in the ws corners. Apparently this was a common warranty issue way back.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:36 PM
mpit
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

it could quite probably be the most fun 2,000 miles of your life!!! Just do it!
Old 03-17-2019, 02:28 PM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Originally Posted by mike cap
Sounds like a gem. The service records on my car from the original owner shows a windshield replaced at 3,000 miles. Done in warranty due to some delamination spots in the ws corners. Apparently this was a common warranty issue way back.
From what I've learned the window delaminating thing was very common. Of all things it's not the end of the world. I really was trying to avoid the 95's because I'm not a huge fan of the basket handle. The more I talked to people to the more I learned about the advantages of not having to deal with the sai issues. The 'buy the best 993 you can find' advice began to sound like good advice and here I am owning a '95.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Congratulations! If you get the car back to CT by 4/24, consider joining us at Palmer Motorsports. Sign up here. It's a great time, hope to see you there.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:01 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Congrats and nice write-up! You bought the best, MY95!

Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Awesome! I’m hunting now and I can only hope to have such a great conclusion to my search.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:45 PM
993rist
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it back!

10 years from now are you going to be upset you put an extra 2,000 miles on it OR regret not having the experience of an epic road trip getting the car of your dreams....?

You only live once...
Old 03-17-2019, 11:06 PM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Originally Posted by Jay777
Congratulations! If you get the car back to CT by 4/24, consider joining us at Palmer Motorsports. Sign up here. It's a great time, hope to see you there.
I'm hoping to have my car the first week of April. Thank you so much for the invite. I'll check my schedule and if it is possible I would love to take a road trip.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:32 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by aircooledpurist
From what I've learned the window delaminating thing was very common. Of all things it's not the end of the world. I really was trying to avoid the 95's because I'm not a huge fan of the basket handle. The more I talked to people to the more I learned about the advantages of not having to deal with the sai issues. The 'buy the best 993 you can find' advice began to sound like good advice and here I am owning a '95.

Congrats on the new purchase--sounds like a great car to buy, own, AND drive.

I felt the same about the basket handle...until I bought one and love it. Just one more little, unique quirk on a spectacular car.

Curious to hear how you discovered the car.

Photos?

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:22 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Congrats on the new purchase--sounds like a great car to buy, own, AND drive.

I felt the same about the basket handle...until I bought one and love it. Just one more little, unique quirk on a spectacular car.

Curious to hear how you discovered the car.

Photos?

Enjoy your new ride!
I found the car online. Searched "993 for sale" more nights than I can recall and quickly looked through what came up. What made things really easy was the car had just been worked on at a shop 35 miles from my home in CT. I drove to the shop and talked with the guys that not only knew the car but the collector that owned it. They had several of this guy's race cars in the shop. They called him and asked him to call me which he did. I got lucky enough to stumble upon a great group of people. They walked me through the long list of things they had just done to the car. They showed me a series of photos of the window de-lamination and suggested a shop in southern NH to do the replacement. Said the NH shop was the only place they send glass work.

I will post photos as soon as I get the car. I don't think it is fair to the owner of the car to share his name online and I would rather not share the dealer in Cali I purchased the car from. I will say everyone I met and dealt with surrounding the purchase of this car has been positively wonderful to work with. I feel as though I got a very fair deal on the car, and have no doubt it will be everything they represented and more when it arrives.

I'm a BMW guy. Last three daily drivers have been M3's. Great car, and under the BMW lease program they are driven worry free. Particularly this last 2017 model has been very "digital". I will continue with the M cars as my daily, but I am SO looking forward to the raw visceral feel of the 993.

Thanks so much for the kind words.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:26 AM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

What is the place in NH for glass work, for future reference.

Thanks,

Harold
Old 03-18-2019, 06:22 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Interesting. I am pretty sure I saw the car, too, because I remember a 17k silver/black C2 recently... I just don't recall where (a typical byproduct of car- and 993-searching ADD!). Strange that a CT owner would ship his car across the country to sell it when there are many very good such shops nearby.

In any case, enjoy!

Quick Reply: The search is OVER!