Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Glovebox LED Light Weirdness (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1133745-glovebox-led-light-weirdness.html)

mike cap 03-14-2019 09:40 PM

Glovebox LED Light Weirdness

So I upgraded my two interior, trunk, engine compartment, glovebox and license plate lights with the LED kit from Suncoast. Very nice upgrade and they all function fine. Polarity mattered for all except the glovebox LED which worked in either pole position.

When done I pulled the fuse that controls all these bulb locations because the car is in winter storage. I also pull the clock fuse so it doesn’t run for six months needlessly. Have done this for 17 years.

The weird thing is thst when when I went to close the glovebox door with the fuse pulled - so no power to that circuit - the new glovebox LED bulb will light very dimly, like at 1/20th normal. It only lights when the door is nearly closed and I think it stays on when fully shut.

With the circut fuse installed the LED bulb acts normally and shuts off with the door. I reversed the LED and the same weird dim light. I installed the old incandescent bulb and no issue.

Any ideas? It’s not going to matter as there’s no current draw and the car lives on a maintainer anyway. Or I can just install the old incandescent bulb.

Another chapter in 993 idiosyncratic behavior. A bottle of good wine to the RL genius that figures this one out. Apologies for the long post and dull subject.

AOW162435 03-14-2019 10:35 PM

Red or white?

Andreas

mike cap 03-14-2019 10:52 PM

Red or white? Not sure what the question is.

Magdaddy 03-14-2019 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by AOW162435 (Post 15704650)
Red or white?

Andreas

typically red with beef, white with fish/poultry. Although I enjoy a nice Chianti with liver.

mike cap 03-14-2019 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Magdaddy (Post 15704692)

typically red with beef, white with fish/poultry. Although I enjoy a nice Chianti with liver.

Ha! Your choice.

il pirata 03-14-2019 11:26 PM

Red, Sonoma or Napa please. Actually red or white is a good question as white LED's use phosphor that is in fact phosphorescent, so they can glow for some time before going out. Have you checked after a day?

mike cap 03-15-2019 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by il pirata (Post 15704766)
Red, Sonoma or Napa please. Actually red or white is a good question as white LED's use phosphor that is in fact phosphorescent, so they can glow for some time before going out. Have you checked after a day?

Good advice I will check the hibernating 993 tomorrow. Thank you.

TheOtherEric 03-15-2019 12:09 AM

I'm no EE but it may be a capacitive coupling issue, so perhaps the lines to the lamp are hot, meaning that the switch is downstream from there. If you pull the assembly and find 12v on the line even when not lit, that would explain it. If so, there's no feasible solution, but who cares if it's really pulling miniscule current.

If im correct, that seems like odd wiring by Porsche. I'd expect the switch to be upstream of the lamp so that it's not always at 12V, especially because the lamp socket is bare, unprotected. But what do I know.

p.s. If I'm correct, the incandescent bulb is pulling the same minimal current as your barely-lit LED bulb. The difference is that a tiny current will actually barely light an LED. Of course, you could measure all that to confirm.

911PERVY 03-15-2019 04:53 AM

Try adding a diode, not really a cure but probably a solution?

mike cap 03-15-2019 08:23 AM

Good suggestion I’ll check the fixture for voltage in the conditions I described.

ToreB 03-15-2019 08:51 AM

The glove box light light switch is connected to the alarm unit, and a small current is put on the circuit to detect the opening of the glovebox. This is where the current comes from that lights up your LED bulb.
To solve this, reinstall the incandescent light bulb, use a polarized LED light bulb, or connect a diode in series of the light bulb, cathode to glove box switch.
Cheers,
Tore

SpeedyC2 03-15-2019 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ToreB (Post 15705210)
The glove box light light switch is connected to the alarm unit, and a small current is put on the circuit to detect the opening of the glovebox. This is where the current comes from that lights up your LED bulb.
To solve this, reinstall the incandescent light bulb, use a polarized LED light bulb, or connect a diode in series of the light bulb, cathode to glove box switch.
Cheers,
Tore

I knew there had to be a good reason for this, and it's not a surprise Tore knows it! :D

TheOtherEric 03-15-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ToreB (Post 15705210)
Cheers,
Tore

Are you saying a very low voltage is constantly applied to the glove box light? Any idea of the voltage?

And why would reinstalling the incandescent bulb solve this? Granted it won’t be visibly lit, but won’t it still draw the same current? If so, I wouldn’t consider that a solution to any real issue. A dome light is one thing, but a dim glove box bulb is never seen.

ToreB 03-15-2019 10:41 AM

I guess the voltage would be close to +12V without any load. However, this is applied through a resistor, and will fall to a very low value once loaded. This low current is not sufficient to light a filament bulb.

Looking from a low current perspective, the node of the bulb that normally is +12V is to be considered grounded through all the other filament lamps on this circuit.
Since the used LED is bidirectional (has an internal diode bridge or similar that makes it work in either polarity) the LED lights up due to the reversed current when glove box is closed and alarm on.

Cheers,
Tore

mike cap 03-15-2019 11:05 AM

Tore, thanks for the info. So I guess since the incandescent bulb ihas been drawing a minimal current for all these years there’s no harm in leaving the LED bulb in place? I’ve checked this issue with the alarm disarmed of course.