993 Forum 1995-1998

Glovebox LED Light Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
I guess the voltage would be close to +12V without any load. However, this is applied through a resistor, and will fall to a very low value once loaded. This low current is not sufficient to light a filament bulb.

Looking from a low current perspective, the node of the bulb that normally is +12V is to be considered grounded through all the other filament lamps on this circuit.
Since the used LED is bidirectional (has an internal diode bridge or similar that makes it work in either polarity) the LED lights up due to the reversed current when glove box is closed and alarm on.

Cheers,
Tore
Yup, that fits with what I described above --- that the lamp when off still sees 12V. So the tiny bit of current that makes it shine dimly is due to the tiny leakage downstream (open-circuit side) of the bulb; i.e. capacitive coupling. Same thing happens in home LED bulbs.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:38 AM
WI-Ing
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The glove box light light switch is connected to the alarm unit, and a small current is put on the circuit to detect the opening of the glovebox. This is where the current comes from that lights up your LED bulb.
To solve this, reinstall the incandescent light bulb, use a polarized LED light bulb, or connect a diode in series of the light bulb, cathode to glove box switch.
Cheers,
Tore
I pulled the bulb out in the glove box. Will that causes issues with the alarm?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:50 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WI-Ing
See Tore’s post below.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 03-17-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:13 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

Removing it, or having a blown bulb will of course not affect alarm operation.
Cheers,
Tore

Last edited by ToreB; 03-15-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:03 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy

typically red with beef, white with fish/poultry. Although I enjoy a nice Chianti with liver.
...and fava beans Dr. Leckner?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WI-Ing
Maybe not, but will most certainly cause issues with the immobilizer operation since they are on the same circuit...
Old 03-17-2019, 03:33 AM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

I had this problem on the second 993 we purchased. Lots of testing and I used Tore's guide to chase down the problem. Eventually I removed the glove box and found an unknown Lojack unit installed above the glovebox. When I removed it I realized the installer had reversed the wiring between the plunger switch and the glovebox light. Reversal of the connectors permanently corrected the problem and eliminated a frustrating battery drain.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2021, 08:45 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

The glove box light light switch is connected to the alarm unit, and a small current is put on the circuit to detect the opening of the glovebox. This is where the current comes from that lights up your LED bulb.
To solve this, reinstall the incandescent light bulb, use a polarized LED light bulb, or connect a diode in series of the light bulb, cathode to glove box switch.
Cheers,
Tore
Bit of a necropost, but I'm also experiencing glovebox light weirdness.

Currently getting 0v when closed (as expected), however only +8V when opened.... Checked the connectors and everything looks OK?

Could this be related to the alarm/immobilizer as referenced above? 1997 US model.

TIA!

Quick Reply: Glovebox LED Light Weirdness