993 Forum 1995-1998

Eight Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts
Default Eight Owners?

All - I'm very close on purchasing a 993. In fact it's set to be inspected including leak down and compression test at P-car dealer today/tomorrow. I'm not a huge fan of CarFax in general - I think it often misses stuff and has suspect sources for data. However I pulled one on this car to discover it has eight recorded owners. It's totally clean other than that - no accidents, shows a solid history of maintenance and records don't have gaps. A few of the ownership records are really short - like a month or two - and appear to be flippers.

What's the reaction to this from the 993 crowd? On one hand I feel it shouldn't matter - car is 20+ years old and the CarFax makes sense. On the other hand this would be received pretty poorly in the GT car world where most of my experience lies.

FWIW - I love the car otherwise. It's low miles (24K), has a great current owner and shows really well.

Thanks once again,
Tim
Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Carfax sometimes interprets data into ownership changes that it shouldn't - my wife's Boxster was called a 2-owner car but the owner moved states. It also isn't 100% on damage, of course.

Eight seems like a lot, but the flipper theory makes sense and full records is a big plus. If the car inspects well, the only consideration would be how you tell the 9 owner story when it eventually leaves your garage.

(As an aside, be prepared: even with proper maintenance and a PPI, age takes its toll. There could be a $urpri$ing amount of work needed on a 23-year-old car.)
Old 03-12-2019, 07:33 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
Carfax sometimes interprets data into ownership changes that it shouldn't - my wife's Boxster was called a 2-owner car but the owner moved states. It also isn't 100% on damage, of course.

Eight seems like a lot, but the flipper theory makes sense and full records is a big plus. If the car inspects well, the only consideration would be how you tell the 9 owner story when it eventually leaves your garage.

(As an aside, be prepared: even with proper maintenance and a PPI, age takes its toll. There could be a $urpri$ing amount of work needed on a 23-year-old car.)
Thanks. By no gaps in records - I only meant the Carfax has continuous records. It shows regular entries over the entire time. The current owner only has recent records - like four or five years back.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:19 AM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

During my shopping effort I noticed that if a dealer took title of a car, Carfax would count that as an owner when / if they had a new title issued. The short periods of “ownership” can easily be explained especially if they occurred during a known period when values were climbing. If it was a 1998 Cadillac Seville with that many flips, that would make me question if it was sold quickly due to some underlying issue(s).

Anyone looking for a 993 in the coming years will most likely know what to look for in a properly cared for example and know they are buying the seller - sounds like the one you’re looking at qualifies for those descriptions. Personally, I wouldn’t let the Carfax reported number of owners deter me from a purchase if it checked all of my boxes. Curious to hear how the PPI goes!
Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 AM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the number of owners. Buy on condition and have a thorough PPI (which is sounds like you're doing). Having a car that was very well maintained will be worth it.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Also, if the car was ever financed the title was in the banks name and would need to be re-assigned. Therefore if two owners financed that could potentially be four titles if they paid it off.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Yeah I don’t see how it matters. Condition is what is important and number of owners has little bearing on that.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:43 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Also, if the car was ever financed the title was in the banks name and would need to be re-assigned. Therefore if two owners financed that could potentially be four titles if they paid it off.
Same with a lease or company car.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm down for 2 owners on a 95 I have cos I moved to CA in the middle of last year.

Not 100% accurate.

G
Old 03-12-2019, 11:39 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

On a modern car full of electronics and other junk that fails, multiple owners can be a red flag of serious unsolvable problems. But on 993s, that's not really relevant. So I'd stop worrying about the multiple owners and focus my attention on whether it's had any serious accidents and body work, and the condition of the mechanicals. With just 24k miles, apparently several buyers wanted it as a collector's car. But be wary of possible odometer fraud in this kind of case, too!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

A 24 year old who's been with eight other men?
Find another car!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:43 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
On a modern car full of electronics and other junk that fails, multiple owners can be a red flag of serious unsolvable problems. But on 993s, that's not really relevant. So I'd stop worrying about the multiple owners and focus my attention on whether it's had any serious accidents and body work, and the condition of the mechanicals. With just 24k miles, apparently several buyers wanted it as a collector's car. But be wary of possible odometer fraud in this kind of case, too!
...or more importantly, potential salvaged title washing!
Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 PM
mpit
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have owned 4 911's over the past 17 years and did spend over 20 years in the car business. I am by no means a Porsche expert like many of the guys on this forum. My own personal opinion is that's a lot of different owners. Its hard to track miles when crossing state lines etc. I agree with you 100% about Carfax. Were any of the past owners dealers?

I have a 98 cab with 32,000 miles on it. I purchased it 3 years ago as the 2nd owner. I started a different thread "spring Fling" a few days ago. Some guys suggested it needs a new suspension. I just got off the phone with the Porsche dealer in Detroit who knows the car like the back of his hand. When I asked him what he thought about spending 5K on a new suspension he blew a gasket. His words were basically, you have a 911 cab with extremely low miles that is as original as can be. Change the oil and keep the tires up and ten years down the road smile because if you want to sell it you will make a killing. Sure 5k might make it drive a little better but you don't take it to the track. It drives great the way it is. Keep all receipts and keep it as original as possible.

ftr my last 911 was an 89 with 23,000 miles on it. I owned it for ten years and put 35,000 miles on it. I listed it on autotrader 2 maybe 3 years ago, and sold it in one hour to a dealer in new york. I made 35K on the car. It was original except for a clutch, rear shocks and tires. It was an 89 coupe black with tan leather. I had a complete book with all receipts from day one. I had a blast with that car.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:12 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mpit
Some guys suggested it needs a new suspension. I just got off the phone with the Porsche dealer in Detroit who knows the car like the back of his hand. When I asked him what he thought about spending 5K on a new suspension he blew a gasket.
Not to get off topic, but myself and others were the ones who suggested your suspension would do well with a refresh, if in fact your car is on it's original (and mediocre at best when it was brand new decades ago) suspension.

I would blow a gasket too if someone said it costs $5K to get a new suspension. You can get a far better one that you have now for less than half that price.

Since you seem to be familiar with Porsches, I'm sure you are aware that these are precision instruments and shocks are critical components to that precision. They are also wear items. Sure, you can tool around on a worn suspension on a leisurely Sunday drive and be just fine, I suppose. But if you're really interested in have a 993 that performs as it was intended and keeping the car in it's best stead, one cannot argue that a suspension that was mediocre when new, and now is over 20 years old, is at best lacking at at worst completely shot to the point that it could compromise safety.

Now, if your goal is to sell it in the future and "make a killing", then it's best to neglect all repairs and defer the maintenance to the next owner. But if you want your car to be all it can be, it takes money when worn items need to be replaced.

Anyway, it's your car, I have nothing to sell you, but objective sage advice from an independent 3rd party is just that
Old 03-12-2019, 07:29 PM
mpit
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

are you suggesting there is something wrong with "making a killing"?

If I can drive a creampuff Porsche for ten years and put 35,000 miles on it and walk away with 35K in profit; I am all good with that.

Quick Reply: Eight Owners?