Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   spring fling (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1132773-spring-fling.html)

mpit 03-08-2019 04:59 PM

spring fling

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4b7f6a8ebd.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...12c2fd82bd.jpg
when purchased 3 yers ago
I have a 98 Guards red cab with 32,000 miles on it. It is currently original. I just ordered some Fister mufflers and Bergville lights. What else might yu guys consider doing to dress it up a little bit?

nine9six 03-09-2019 12:44 AM

Get rid of the old suspension and put in some new suspension bushings, along with a KT alignment and corner balancing.

mpit 03-09-2019 01:21 AM

You can tell it needs that by just looking at the picture? What are we talking about parts and labor and what parts would you recommend I use? I only drive it on the street and not all that hard.

ty for the info

goofballdeluxe 03-09-2019 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by mpit (Post 15690860)
You can tell it needs that by just looking at the picture? What are we talking about parts and labor and what parts would you recommend I use? I only drive it on the street and not all that hard.

ty for the info

If your suspension is original, it doesn't even take a look. It's 21 years old and shot. An updated suspension is probably the single most transforming upgrade one can make to a 993.

Search the archives as there are plenty of options, but any upgrade will be money well spent.

Enjoy your ride :cheers:

P-daddy 03-09-2019 09:41 AM

Basic shocks/springs refresh~ 1200-1500
-Bilstein B6/B8 & M033 springs
​​​​​​ -Koni Active & M033 springs
Install~ 400-600
Alignment~ 250-350

The shock/spring combo above are just suggestions. Lots of different combo available depending on what you need or like. Prices are estimates and may vary depending on location.

PRSWILL 03-09-2019 11:45 AM

Great looking car!

mpit 03-09-2019 12:27 PM

As I have stated before the knowledge and expertise in this forum is overwhelming, and I do appreciate the time you guys take in giving out advice.

I am 63 spent 22 years in the car business, 14 years selling Toyotas, and 8 years doing F&I. Over the past 18 years I have owned four 911's. I love the way they drive and handle and have made out very nicely when it comes time to sell them. My current 98 cab I have had for 3 years. I am the 2nd owner. The first owner, an older lady,spent thousands of dollars on it. I have every work order from day one. If it needed something she had it done, period.

It has been suggested because of age it needs a new suspension all the way around. The car has 32,000 miles on it. When replacing the shocks do I also need new strut mounts as well? I haven't noticed a major issue with the ride at all. I do notice when driving around 80 on country roads it does seem to sway and wander a little bit. It makes sense that the shocks would get weaker over time but the mounts it seems wouldn't wear out just sitting there.

My days of driving real hard are gone. I like a good all around suspension, about middle of the pack for a street car. The choices seem to be endless. I will drive the car 2 to 3000 miles a year. Can you guys give me some ideas on setups that might work for my kind of driving? I will be paying to have the work done. I use Jeff Jones out of Detroit for most for the major work.. I would like to keep the cost between 2 to 3 K.

ty

HalfGerman 03-09-2019 02:07 PM

I went conservative on the suspension on mine, figuring that most driving would be on the road. I went with M033 and Koni FSDs ( now called Special Active). If you were local to me, I would let you try it in person.

mpit 03-11-2019 07:27 PM

goofballdeluxe stated that because the car is 20 years old, it needs a new suspension because it is 20 years old and worn out

After it was suggested I replace the suspension because it is 20 years old I started doing some research. Many people have suggested different set ups etc and I really do appreciate them taking the time to voice their opinions. The guy who has serviced the car from its original sale date back in 1998 is still in business in Detroit. I called him to get an idea what it will run for a new suspension both parts and labor, because I was considering getting it done. He suggested 4 to 5 K.

He also told me he thought it would probably be a waste of money replacing things just because they are 20 years old. He stated if the car had been on the track or ridden very hard that would be one thing. The lady who owned the car originally brought it in for everything and when they suggested anything at all she would just do it. She had the oil changed every spring although many years she only put 300 to 500 miles on it.

I freely admitted I am in no way a Porsche expert. I can also see his point to a degree. If your car sits in the garage and gets driven 2 or three times a year is it still necessary to change the oil every year? Of course and oil change is quite cheap so some might be inclined to answer yes. To spend 5 K on a suspension change that may not be needed is a different story. Just bringing it up for discussion. not saying who is right or wrong.

IainM 03-11-2019 08:25 PM

Even if you don't push it, you want the car to behave properly in all situations
the original suspension wasn't too good and is well past it's sell by date
most of the cost of suspension rebuild it labor so just replace all parts with new Porsche parts, add Bilstein PSS10 (cheaper that Porsche classic) and drive an incredible car as you choose
its all good

waizone 03-12-2019 12:58 AM

Would you recommend replacing the front control arm bushins while doing the shocks and springs?
I would go with M033 (ROW) springs and Koni actives as recommended above.

Ed Hughes 03-12-2019 01:32 AM

I can pretty much guarantee you that when the suspension is updated-whether "stock" or "sporty"-you will absolutely feel a more quality ride. For what it's worth, the stock Monroe shocks are not known for quality/longevity.

Secondly, it is at U.S. ride height, a contrived height to meet DOT regs .That is NOT "euro" height, which is actually the spec that the car was designed to.

goofballdeluxe 03-12-2019 06:24 PM

OP, since you posted this on another thread, I thought I'd post in here and respond.

You said, "In a different thread, some guys suggested it needs a new suspension. I just got off the phone with the Porsche dealer in Detroit who knows the car like the back of his hand. When I asked him what he thought about spending 5K on a new suspension he blew a gasket"

Yeah, I would blow a gasket too if someone said it costs $5K to get a new suspension. You can get a far better one that you have now for less than half that price.

Since you seem to be familiar with Porsches, I'm sure you are aware that these are precision instruments and shocks are critical components to that precision. They are also wear items. Sure, you can tool around on a worn suspension on a leisurely Sunday drive and be just fine, I suppose. But if you're really interested in have a 993 that performs as it was intended and keeping the car in it's best stead, one cannot argue that a suspension that was mediocre when new, and now is over 20 years old, is at best lacking, and at worst, completely shot to the point that it could compromise safety.

Now, if your goal is to sell it in the future and "make a killing", then it's best to neglect all repairs and defer the maintenance to the next owner. But if you want your car to be all it can be, it takes money when worn items need to be replaced.

Anyway, it's your car, I have nothing to sell you, but objective sage advice from an independent 3rd party is just that :cheers:

mpit 03-12-2019 06:58 PM

I have spoken to 2 different well known suppliers of parts on this forum and both told me between 4and 5k including bushings springs, mounts, struts etc. and paying for labor. Over the years I have learned to error on the high side when estimating what its going to cost to fix a Porsche.. 7 years ago I did a clutch on an 89 coupe and when it was said and done it was close to $4,500.

You stated it takes money when worn items need to be replaced. My original thread was asking opinions on whether my suspension needed to be replaced or not. It is fairly obvious to me , after speaking with many knowledgeable Porshe guys; probably not! We are talking about a car with 32,000 miles on it. Of course it will drive better but in all honesty I love the way the car drives now. The 5K might be better spent on some Taramount wheels!

goofballdeluxe 03-12-2019 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by mpit (Post 15699352)
I have spoken to 2 different well known suppliers of parts on this forum and both told me between 4and 5k including bushings springs, mounts, struts etc. and paying for labor. Over the years I have learned to error on the high side when estimating what its going to cost to fix a Porsche.. 7 years ago I did a clutch on an 89 coupe and when it was said and done it was close to $4,500.

You stated it takes money when worn items need to be replaced. My original thread was asking opinions on whether my suspension needed to be replaced or not. It is fairly obvious to me , after speaking with many knowledgeable Porshe guys; probably not! We are talking about a car with 32,000 miles on it. Of course it will drive better but in all honesty I love the way the car drives now. The 5K might be better spent on some Taramount wheels!

As I said, it's your car. FYI, time also ages a suspension, as does use.

I am reminded of a very wise teacher I once had who, when students resisted helpful instruction, simply stated, "If you want to argue for your limitations, I'll allow you to keep them".

If you don't think you need a new suspension, then you don't :cheers:

mpit 03-12-2019 07:20 PM

"completely shot to the point of compromising safety".

really? My Lexus LS430 has 150,000 and still has the original shocks. My girlfriends Lexus is a 93 SC 400 with original shocks on it and it has 100K on it. They both look and drive great. Yet you suggest driving a 98 993 with 32k is quite possibly unsafe. I think we can all agree that's a bit of an exaggeration.

I took the car to Detroit for an oil change and a top adjustment last summer with 31,000 miles on it. The head mechanic and owner has been there for 28 years. I asked him to drive the car and give me any suggestions on what else it might need. He has done all the work on the car from day one. He stated it needs nothing.

So I guess we have established the car is somewhere between perfect and unsafe at any speed!

goofballdeluxe 03-12-2019 07:34 PM

Sure, whatever you say. Guess me and all the boys here with all our decades of collective wisdom regarding these suspensions were mistaken.

Take care :cheers:

mpit 03-12-2019 07:57 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...48af2e9e25.jpg
Please don't misunderstand or mistake what I am saying. I posted here looking for suggestions on what I could possibly do to my car to jazz it up a little. Some people with years of knowledge suggested the suspension was shot, worn out and not very good to begin with. I started researching what a suspension would run. I was lead to believe between 4 and 5 K installed. I then started calling a few other guys with probably more experience than the vast majority of the guys in this forum. They had differing opinions.on what should be done to the car. I just shared their thoughtss. Not saying who is right or wrong.

I don't meant to be rude, disrespectful or anything like that. TStafford was posing some questions on the true cost of owning a 993 and I gave my opinions based upon my experience of owning 4 Porsches over the past 18 years.

I will also say this. Your black 911 is one of the best looking 911's I have ever seen. I researched the wheels. They are from France, I believe and probably cost $7500 with tires. very nice indeed.

FTR these are speakers I have in my living room. They retailed for $74,900 Yes many people think I am an idiot. Its what I like!

mpit 03-12-2019 08:08 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e2027e3df.jpeg

Matsuzaka 04-15-2019 10:38 AM

It seems to me that shock absorbers are relatively simple devices. When they fail they are pretty obvious, kind of like the brake hydraulic system, they leak. External leaks are obvious but internal ones not so. Internal leaks are what causes degradation of a shock, assuming there are no external leaks.

Degradation of a shock is very difficult to tell for most people. Unless you are able to do a back to back comparison with replacement with same components or you can have the shock tested it would not be possible to decipher the difference. Even at that, unless the difference is obvious it may not be possible.

I assume the folks that recommended replacement of shocks and springs because of their age have also replaced all their hydraulic cylinder in their brake system because they’re “20 years old”. Like the OP, my career was in the automotive field, it can be a very “dirty” business because people, generally, know very little about cars so they’re often sold things that are not really necessary. I think the OP is wise for being thoughtful.

Ed Hughes 04-15-2019 12:57 PM

The missing point of your analysis is that the Monroe shocks that were stock, weren't of the best quality to begin with. And, yes, most owners do address other rehab projects, hydraulic or otherwise, as they sort a car out.

Originally Posted by Matsuzaka (Post 15774660)
It seems to me that shock absorbers are relatively simple devices. When they fail they are pretty obvious, kind of like the brake hydraulic system, they leak. External leaks are obvious but internal ones not so. Internal leaks are what causes degradation of a shock, assuming there are no external leaks.

Degradation of a shock is very difficult to tell for most people. Unless you are able to do a back to back comparison with replacement with same components or you can have the shock tested it would not be possible to decipher the difference. Even at that, unless the difference is obvious it may not be possible.

I assume the folks that recommended replacement of shocks and springs because of their age have also replaced all their hydraulic cylinder in their brake system because they’re “20 years old”. Like the OP, my career was in the automotive field, it can be a very “dirty” business because people, generally, know very little about cars so they’re often sold things that are not really necessary. I think the OP is wise for being thoughtful.

Paolo1 04-16-2019 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by mpit (Post 15699491)

Are those amazing speakers driven by just that set up on the wall or are there amps and pre-amps hiding somewhere?