993 Forum 1995-1998

Spare tire - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:48 AM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spare tire - any good?

Has anyone ever used the inflatable spare tire in the 993 frunk? Going on a car trip and wondering if the 23 year old spare is any good? Anyone ever take it out and inflate it to see if it is ok? If so can it be deflated and stowed away again in the trunk?

If it is worthless, I would rather use that space to store tools etc.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

The tire will be fine. And yes, it’s meant to collapse back to its compact size.

Andreaa
Old 02-27-2019, 10:25 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Agreed. I would be more worried about the 23 year old compressor.

The ultimate 993 spare photo gallery
Old 02-27-2019, 10:35 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I had to use mine last summer when I got a flat in the wilds of Wyoming. All worked well and it got me 100+ miles back to help. All tools and compressor worked like a charm. Driving wasn’t fun, but better than the alternative.

The tire does deflate, but it’s hard to get it down as small as original.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I have a big can of Fix a Flat just in case there is an issue with the spare or compressor. Also, per nile13's recommendation, I replaced the factory compressor with this VIAIR unit:
Amazon Amazon
There's actually more room with this air pump than the bulky factory case.

Lastly, the spare tire will absorb energy from a front end impact, so removing it could affect occupants in a crash. Even when I was racing, I always had my spare installed.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:47 AM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I have a big can of Fix a Flat
Has anyone cleaned up a wheel after using this stuff? Seems like it would make a big mess but maybe centripetal force spreads it to tire
Old 02-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM
Has anyone cleaned up a wheel after using this stuff? Seems like it would make a big mess but maybe centripetal force spreads it to tire
Never used it for a car. I do run tubeless tires in my mountain bike and use Orange Seal. Previously used Stans but since that formula uses ammonia that corrodes aluminum (had to replace all of my spoke nipples), I discontinued it.

That said, I'll take the clean up duties of fix-a-flat if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and the spare tire and compressor become problematic.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:42 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM

After using fix a flat or any such product, you should as soon as possible have the tire dismounted, repaired properly, if salavagable and the alloy wheel cleaned.

I had to replace an alloy wheel on my Toyota truck because I forgot to have the fix a flat compound cleaned out from the alloy wheel. I plugged the tire but after 5 years the fix a flat compound ate holes in the alloy wheel. I only wish I had taken photos for everyones visual horror.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:21 PM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

used it several times over past twnty years
needed it last year returning from tahoe...had cracks all over the sidewalls when inflated. used it just to get car to nearest safe spot for flatbed.
new ones are not cheap
if you are worried....i would pull it out...inflate it and inspect it.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:36 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

Nothing will repair sidewall damage or a large puncture/slash but a typical nail puncture can be easily repaired on the vehicle with a simple plug kit and a compressor. You may need a mallet or hammer to help penetrate the tread, though. Much less mess and fuss than removing the wheel and using the inflatable spare, especially if the rear tire is the culprit since Porsche recommends that the smaller front tire be placed on the rear and the inflatable spare be put on the front. Then there's the problem of putting that big wheel and tire in the passenger seat, especially if you have a passenger!
Old 02-27-2019, 02:52 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Carry a slime kit with a compressor. Amazon sells the kit neatly packaged. You need a better plan than the inflatable spare which may not be useful after twenty years. By far the most dangerous issue with using the spare is using the jack itself. Using the jack on the roadside is a recipe for death or injury.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:17 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

• It works but due to its age, I drive very slowly on it the few times I have used it.
  • Do buy an upgrade inflation pump from Harbor Freight that fits inside the wheel center.
  • Store a Schrader valve removal tool with the tire makes it much easier to deflate it fully after use.
  • Do keep it in the car as it also functions as part of the crash protection feature of the car body.
  • The jack that comes with the car likes solid level ground below it, something a road shoulder many times is not. Consider an inexpensive aftermarket scissors style jack as an alternative stowed in the frunk.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Second on a big can of fix a flat or flatbed.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:18 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

I drove nearly 400 miles on mine when I got a flat very early on a Sunday morning in Northern Oregon. I made it all the way down to Oakland, California. Then drove it another 60+ miles to a tire shop.

I wore it down pretty bad but it didn't let me down.

The jack is really rickety. Also, carry a piece of two by four or something if your car is lowered at all. The jack won't fit under the car.

I used a piece of limestone to drive up on to get clearance.

--Michael
Old 02-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

When I used my spare I didn’t realize that it was supposed to be used only in front. I placed it on the passenger side rear, where my flat was, and it still worked well. Handling was a little squirrelly but not terrible. I kept the speed around 55mph. Front wheel/tire fit behind the seats without a problem, and I still had room for my passenger - didn’t have to kick him to the curb.

Quick Reply: Spare tire - any good?